Foid and Ccw Id card numbers

tommyd78

My new permit and FOID have the exact same amount of numbers and they all match

Yes I'm wondering if they have match completely.

Mine don't. So I guess it doesn't matter. Mine has a 14 added for the year.

Let's take this a little farther.

Did those whose CCL and FOID match exactly, apply for both at the same time and do they start with a 14 or 1

I have had a foid forever...i recently received my new ccl...i received my new foid a few days later...they both have the exact same matching numbers that both start with 15

Warface,

Do you know if your new FOID has the same number as the old one? My current FOID begins with 15 and was issued in 2010. I was in error about my CCL above The number starts with 14 and then it matches the FOID. I see the ISP merged FOID and CCL applications in March 2015. I wonder if those already having FOIDs, and applying for CCL before then are the ones with a 14 or 15 preceding their FOID numbers on their CCLs.

http://www.isp.state.il.us/media/pressdetails.cfm?ID=837

I guess I don't understand all the concern about the number? No matter the number if it's valid who cares. Just saying.

My new foid does not have the same number as the old one. I was sent a letter instructing me to destroy the old foid upon receipt of the new one. I would say it is safe to assume that since the merging of the two cards, the ISP decided it was easier to make the two numbers match. spec5, I agree with you, it makes no difference to me what the numbers are. I am just glad the ISP didn't print our permits on pink cards with little bunnies and horsies and flowers on them!

The number on the CCA has "evolved" through the process and has avoided the most logical solution all along the way. My ccw was issued in the first flush of licenses, 2/28/14. It's number is 14 followed by my FOID number. Sometime in the last few months, ISP decided that the ccl# needed to match the FOID number EXACTLY so they began to issue new FOID's with every ccl, doubling the work and cost of the process by creating a whole new card. Why they didn't just use the existing FOID # for the ccl and forget the new FOID is a mystery. Anyway, depending on when your ccl was issued, it may or may not have exactly the same number. We're not aware of any effort to replace ALL of the FOID cards even to those issued ccl's over a year ago so don't expect to get one if your ccl was issued pre 2015. But it wouldn't surprise me.

I think this may be the convoluted, bureaucratic effort by the agency to somehow move towards one card. A suggestion made back in 2008 in an early carry bill written by the leadership here at IC. In fact, one person, who shall remain unamed, had the audacity to suggest that CCL endorsements simply be added to your driver's license or to a separate state Id card by EXISTING, trained state employees using EXISTING equipment present in every county in the state. The Secretary of State's office. Alas, as Lou says, logic is lost on our state agencies.

That's not entirely correct now kwc, they are adding two numbers to your foid.

I've helped about six folks apply for ccl in the last few months and have followed the entire process through on the ISP site. Everyone has received a CCL and FOID with new, matching numbers. The first two numbers seem to indicate the year of issuance of the FCCL even though it has no relavance to the FOID.

Ironic that on Independence Day, you guys are discussing the "Numbers You've Been Assigned". Instead, we should be discussing why we shouldn't need any numbers to exercise a Constitutional Right!

I hope everyone has an awesome and safe holiday weekend, and remember it's not just for fireworks sake, but fireworks of another kind, along with blood shed leading to victory over an oppressive government.

- chip

Archived