How to Appeal Revoked or Denied FOID

Hello everyone. Just wondering if anyone else is currently in the appeals process for a FOID card? In a few days it will be 5 months for me. It has been a LONG time since I had a FOID card, I know the wait for an appeal can be quite long, just curious to know how everyone else is doing.

• 1 month later...

I'm having problems with ISP, of course. In June a temporary order of protection was taken out against me by an individual who has been harassing my family and directly prior to filing this order was arrested for battering my spouse. My FOID and CLL were subsequently made invalid. I went to hearing with an attorney and won in the hearing as the claims being made against me were false. The court issued an order dismissing the OP. The new court order releasing me from the OP states that it has been dismissed because there was no evidence. On July 3rd I filled my appeal with ISPFSB. One July 8th my FOID was reissued. Ive spoken to customer service many times, and some have said that they would make inquiries about it how ever Ive been told there is no time frame for this sort of thing and it seems my appeal is taking a long time. Is their any one I can contact to get this mess sorted out?

• 4 weeks later...

Came across this forum and was wondering what the wait for an appeal might take? I had my FOID revoked about 2 and half years ago due too a felony case ( Theft ) pending ended up this year finishing probation and having my conviction expunged at the termination of my probation. Sent the court given documents along with the petition and wavier few weeks ago. Just wanted to see how long the turn around might be as I may not be in IL within a year and would figure it would be a lot easier whe I move to my new state knowing my conviction is gone rather than apply and get denied there.

• 2 weeks later...
My foid card was revoked back in September of 2016 for a misdemeanor battery charge. I received 6 months court supervision so there was actually no conviction. My supervision ended in January of 2017. I sent all my appeal paperwork in back in March of this year and it is now October and my foid card is still revoked. Is there any reason theyre dragging their feet about it and is there anything else I can do to speed up the process? I sent them the disposition papers of my court supervision along with all of the required paperwork. I am an avid hunter and this will be my second hunting season I will be missing. Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks

My foid card was revoked back in September of 2016 for a misdemeanor battery charge. I received 6 months court supervision so there was actually no conviction. My supervision ended in January of 2017. I sent all my appeal paperwork in back in March of this year and it is now October and my foid card is still revoked. Is there any reason theyre dragging their feet about it and is there anything else I can do to speed up the process? I sent them the disposition papers of my court supervision along with all of the required paperwork. I am an avid hunter and this will be my second hunting season I will be missing. Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks

Did you submit the request for FOID appeal and the waiver for investigation

Yes all the required paperwork was submitted back in March. I haven’t heard from them and any time I check it still says revoked. I usually call there once every week or so and they just say they are still working on it.

sounds like you've done all the right stuff. Please send me a private message with your full legal name, date of birth, and your FOID card number and I will submit an inquiry to see if we can find out what's going on.

Heads up, my CCL went active this afternoon, anyone know the typical turn around on my card? Feels good to have my rights restored, I gotta say. Thanks Molly B. for the help.

On a side note, a weird thing went on with my ISP porthole today before my cards went active. I logged on this morning and saw that my status went from APPEAL UNDER REVIEW to UNDER BOARD REVIEW. It was allso was asking for me to respond and gave a description of an objection that was over turned when I was first issued my card back in 2016. I attempted to contact ISP at about 2 pm to no avail. I called back a hour or so later, and after a 30 min wait I got through to an operator and told her about the issue. She looked me up and asked if I would stay on hold while she spoke with her supervisor. After she returned to the line, she informed me that my appeal had moved out of the appeals department and would be made active some time in the near future unless it had to go to some other person for an additional approval. I thanked her and returned to my ISP porthole to find that my status was now under review. I just looked at my web porthole to see if anything might have change in the past few hours, and sure enough if find it to say ACTIVE.

Im not sure unless your appeal was denied, I know I went thru the appeal process for my FOID in August. In my instance my foid had been revoke for little over a month before the issue was corrected. After I submitted the correct paper work my FOID was made active about five days after my appeal was made. Im not sure of your situation, but you can always call ISP hit 0 and wait to speak to someone. You could be on hold for an hour. When someone does answer the phone, ask them what the status of your application is and just see what information you can get out of them. Be aware though they can be very selective with what they tell you. Alot of times they give you a short answer or some thingkind of vague and also you most likely wont give you any sort of time frame.

• 2 weeks later...

If any of you need to know the process for filing an appeal through your local courts for being denied or revoked your FOID card please PM me your phone number and name as I have been through the whole process myself and wish to help you.

"Slim"

Edited by Giant Teddybear

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the offer Giant Teddybear. This whole process seems to be shrouded in secrecy. Would love to hear about your situation. PM sent.

I got your PM and sent you back my phone number to call me.

I would rather not post my past online. But will explain my status on the phone.

Edited by Giant Teddybear

• 3 months later...

I am having issues with the ISP and getting my foid card back. I am currently 21 years old, I had my foid card as a minor and my father was my sponsor. A temporary order of protection was put on my sponsor when I was 18, because of this his foid was suspended or revoked. Since he was my sponsor, my foid was revoked. I was never notified personally of any revocation and held on to my card. I turned 21 and tried to purchase a firearm and was denied. I contacted the ISP and they told me my card was actually revoked because your sponsors card was revoked. I turned in my card to the local law enforcement agency in town and I sent in the appeals paperwork stating what happened in October 2017 and have heard nothing back. I am a military service member in the IL Army National Guard and an emt as a civilian. I think it is ridiculous how I can serve in the military but not own a firearm in the state of illinois. Can anyone offer me any advice on how to speed up this appeals process or is there anything I can do to get my second amendment rights back? I am trying to start a career in law enforcement or fire service and it is very hard to do with a revoked foid card.

I am having issues with the ISP and getting my foid card back. I am currently 21 years old, I had my foid card as a minor and my father was my sponsor. A temporary order of protection was put on my sponsor when I was 18, because of this his foid was suspended or revoked. Since he was my sponsor, my foid was revoked. I was never notified personally of any revocation and held on to my card. I turned 21 and tried to purchase a firearm and was denied. I contacted the ISP and they told me my card was actually revoked because your sponsors card was revoked. I turned in my card to the local law enforcement agency in town and I sent in the appeals paperwork stating what happened in October 2017 and have heard nothing back. I am a military service member in the IL Army National Guard and an emt as a civilian. I think it is ridiculous how I can serve in the military but not own a firearm in the state of illinois. Can anyone offer me any advice on how to speed up this appeals process or is there anything I can do to get my second amendment rights back? I am trying to start a career in law enforcement or fire service and it is very hard to do with a revoked foid card.

Please send me PM with your full legal name, date of birth, DL number - and your FOID number, if you remember what it is.

Is your address still the same? If not, please include your current address.

My Foid card was revoked due to getting pulled over for a DUI. I was never convicted for a DUI I was charged with reckless driving seeing how this was my 1st offense and i was just over the legal limit. I was giving court supervision for 1 year, towards the end of the supervision I was advised i had turn over my FOID card which I did. I was then told after my supervision was over which it currently is that I can appeal the decision, but on the appeal form it asks for my FOID # which i don't know. Any suggestions as to how i can get my card number so I can start the appeal process? Thanks in advance.

Wow, so foid cards are being revoked for being charged with reckless driving too, am I reading this right?

• 4 weeks later...

Pled guilty to misdemeanor dui in Oct of 2014. FOID was revoked I assume from being placed on probation?? My 2 years of probation were up Sept of 2016. I finally figured out what paperwork needed to be submitted earlier this year(after contacting gov office). Sent my appeals packet off in late January 2018. ISP FOID phone number has a voice mailbox that is full and you can't leave a message. The link for the FOID inquiry has an error and you can't send email or message. I know this stuff takes time to process but it would be nice to actually know they received my packet. Trying to get on with dept of corrections and received a letter this afternoon stating I am ineligible for hire due to my FOID revocation. Super p***** off. Deployments to Iraq and Afghanistan along with a criminal justice associate degree and yet I can't get hired because of a bull**** revoked FOID. Super frustating. Does anyone have a number to get a few answers from ISP? I have contacted the gov's office and my state senator for help as well. Thanks for any responses.

Pled guilty to misdemeanor dui in Oct of 2014. FOID was revoked I assume from being placed on probation?? My 2 years of probation were up Sept of 2016. I finally figured out what paperwork needed to be submitted earlier this year(after contacting gov office). Sent my appeals packet off in late January 2018. ISP FOID phone number has a voice mailbox that is full and you can't leave a message. The link for the FOID inquiry has an error and you can't send email or message. I know this stuff takes time to process but it would be nice to actually know they received my packet. Trying to get on with dept of corrections and received a letter this afternoon stating I am ineligible for hire due to my FOID revocation. Super p***** off. Deployments to Iraq and Afghanistan along with a criminal justice associate degree and yet I can't get hired because of a bull**** revoked FOID. Super frustating. Does anyone have a number to get a few answers from ISP? I have contacted the gov's office and my state senator for help as well. Thanks for any responses.

Have you tried this email address: askfoid_askfoid@isp.state.il.us

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Molly,

My FOID was revoked after I filed an address change. The reason of my revocation was " 430 ILCS 65/8 (i-5) An alien who has been admitted to the United States under a non-immigrant visa" because I have a H-1B visa. "

However, under the 430 ILCS 65/8 (i-5) there are five exceptions. One of them states that this subsection (i-5) does not apply to any alien who has been lawfully admitted to the United States under a non-immigrant visa if the alien is:

(1) admitted to the United States for lawful hunting or sporting purposes.
Also, according to my research on the ATF website states that:
An alien admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant visa is prohibited from shipping, transporting, receiving, or possessing a firearm or ammunition unless the alien falls within one of the exceptions provided in 18 U.S.C. 922(y)(2), such as: a valid hunting license or permit, admitted for lawful hunting or sporting purposes, certain official representatives of a foreign government, or a foreign law enforcement officer of a friendly foreign government entering the United States on official law enforcement business.

[18 U.S.C. 922(g)(5)(B ) and 922(y)(2); 27 CFR 478.11 and 478.32]

I once lived in Wisconsin as a student with F1 visa. I could use a firearm because I finished Hunter Safety Education and obtained a hunting license because of the same regulation. I think IL law should honor this exception, too. Therefore, I am going to file an appeal.
In my appeal letter I will include:
1. Completed REQUEST FOR FOID APPEAL
2. Completed Request for Investigation and Waiver of Liability
3. A written statement to explain the exception.
4. My IL hunting license for this year.
5. My Hunter Safety Education Certificate which I got in WI in 2012.
My questions are:
1. Will the above materials be enough for my appeal?
2. One thing I'm confused is that on the REQUEST FOR FOID APPEAL form, there are two option. One starts with "I am requesting relief from the firearm prohibitor" and the other starts with "I am challenging the accuracy of the records".
Which one should I select?
Thank you!
Mark
Edited by f22129

• 1 month later...

I got a FOID revoked on a misdemeanor charge that I only received supervision for. This last April I successfully had it expunged. So my question is if its expunged should i file for relief from the supervision that that was revoked or should I file a challenge to the record as they have no reason to deny me something that legally speaking didn't happen? It's pretty confusing and I'm trying to avoid having my appeal stuck floating around for half a year. Should I just get a Lawyer?

I got a FOID revoked on a misdemeanor charge that I only received supervision for. This last April I successfully had it expunged. So my question is if its expunged should i file for relief from the supervision that that was revoked or should I file a challenge to the record as they have no reason to deny me something that legally speaking didn't happen? It's pretty confusing and I'm trying to avoid having my appeal stuck floating around for half a year. Should I just get a Lawyer?

I suggest doing the Records Correction appeal.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

My brother referred me to this site because I have had a very long wait to get my FOID. I applied at the end of January, and still have not received my card. When I log into the ISPFSB site, it shows I'm active as of February. I have read that it is taking the dept. an unusually long time to issue cards,so have very patiently waited, but it's going on 7 months now. This is my first application, I have a squeaky clean record, no mental health issues. Is there any way to check if a card was sent out, or what the issue is? I have called many times, but always get the automated message. I was told to contact Molly B. here.

Thank you.

Edited by catgirl82

Hi,

My brother referred me to this site because I have had a very long wait to get my FOID. I applied at the end of January, and still have not received my card. When I log into the ISPFSB site, it shows I'm active as of February. I have read that it is taking the dept. an unusually long time to issue cards,so have very patiently waited, but it's going on 7 months now. This is my first application, I have a squeaky clean record, no mental health issues. Is there any way to check if a card was sent out, or what the issue is? I have called many times, but always get the automated message. I was told to contact Molly B. here.

Thank you.

That is unusual. You should have received it within a few weeks after going active. If you will send me a private message with your full legal name and Foid number, we can submit an inquiry.

• 3 weeks later...
This's my first post on this site, not sure if I'm doing this right, im on the mobile version. My FOID was revoked during renewal process and I'd like some advice, as I plan on appealing to circuit court in late 2020 and I'll explain why. I'm 32 yrs old and around age 23 I applied for foid and got a letter back from state police stating that they have record of felony charge and need to see court disposition papers to see whether I was convicted. This was juvenile burglary for opening the door on a parked car and stealing a music CD. I was 14 at the time and I was adjudicated delinquent and found guilty. I got the disposition papers after I received the response from ISP and when I saw that I was found guilty, I was discouraged and didn't even send them back. I waited until I was around 27 maybe, and I sent the disposition papers in when I reapplied and also sent a long handwritten letter stating the circumstances of the crime, and that I'm a homeowner, registered voter, taxpayer, and how the 2nd Amendment is my right,etc.. In three weeks I had a FOID card. It was set to expire in Aug this year and when I registered to renew it, I checked yes on the question regarding felony convictions. I believe I checked no when I initially applied when I was 23, being still young and assuming my juvenile record was not a factor. I received a letter from ISP stating that my renewal was denied and my card was revoked. The reason being,"answering yes to a question regarding my ability to possess firearms."I filled out the firearm disposition form, transferred my firearms and surrendered my card to local police dept.. I'm going to appeal to circuit court in 2020, after I spoke with 2 lawyers versed in FOID cases and criminal, juvenile law. My burglary charge is a "forcible felony" and the law states that you can not have a forcible felony conviction within 20 yrs prior of applying for foid. It also says you cannot be adjudicated delinquent for an offense that if committed by an adult, would result in felony conviction, within 10 years prior to applying. I was adjudicated delinquent for burglary, a forcible felony. So I'm not going to appeal to ISP, give up the rest of my privacy by filling out the request for investigation and waiver of liability, to be denied and told that circuit court is my best option for appeal. I'd love to just appeal right now because of the feeling I got when I saw the words " your request was denied and your card has been revoked." I guess I took the card for granted when I valued the card so much at the same time. Sorry for the long post but any thoughts or advice? In sept of 2020 will be 20 years since being found guilty of this and the lawyer never said I should wait till 2020 to appeal, he just gave me the prices of him filing the petition and the court costs and gave examples of his success in some of these cases, as he is a top rated lawyer in this area. I just think it may be a waste of time to appeal now when the judge may easily dismiss it due to the 20 yr forcible felony thing. I'm just not sure if the forcible felony law applies to me since I wasn't convicted, I was adjudicated delinquent, and there's 10 year restriction on that aspect.And that I'm almost sure I would have it reinstated if I do it after it's been over 20 yrs and I'd get to present the circumstances of the crime and lay it all out. It possible that I shouldn't have been granted the card in the first place but I'd just like to know. I'd have to satisfy the court in that it wouldn't be contrary to federal law to possess the card, that I do not pose a danger to public or myself, my criminal record after the incident occurred and a couple other items. My adult record has 2 or 3 traffic violations, and an illegal transportation of alcohol around 10 or 11 yrs ago, that's it.