Action Alert!

Molly B.

Does the felonious omission of reporting cannabis use on a 4473 constitute a refusal to testify against one's self, a right guaranteed by the Fifth Amendment to the Constitution?
Nope it does not since you have the option of simply not purchasing the firearm. You don't NEED to do it to comply with the law. Compliance would be answering yes or simply not proceeding with the transfer since it (the firearm) is NOT in your possession when you attest on the 4473. If that logic makes sense heh. It's much different than the state mandating gun registration. THAT is a violation of the 5A Self-incrimination Clause, incorporated and all that jazz, because it requires those who already unlawfully possess a firearm to register it, thereby incriminating themselves as they are forced to report to the state that they illegally possess a firearm. See Haynes v. United States, 390 U.S. 85 (1968). Haynes was a convicted felon and did not register an NFA item. He argued that the registration requirement violated his 5A right against self-incrimination by requiring him to tell the federal government that he's committing a crime and SCOTUS agreed, with only Justice Earl Warren in dissent. That defect in the NFA was cured and litigated in US v. Freed but still (theoretically) prohibits state-level gun registration schemes. Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

I knew there was a 5th Amendment case somewhat related to my question. I expected it would be too much for it to be on point.

Thanks, skinnyb82.

Can I still submit a witness slip. I keep getting error messages. First it wants a 3 digit number in the address, mine has a 2 digit number and so I try doing the witness slip again and it says invalid character in the address, couldn't find any.

I know my Bryan my state rep opposes SB1966 as she has been running commercials on the radio in opposition. Schimpf my state senator has introduced a bill for carry in rest areas, and another for carry in parks.

Senate Witness slips. http://my.ilga.gov/Hearing/HearingDetail/17389?SCommittees5/31/2019-page=1&SCommittees5/31/2019-orderBy=&SCommittees5/31/2019-filter=&committeeid=0&chamber=S&nodays=1&_=1559243400077

Can I still submit a witness slip. I keep getting error messages. First it wants a 3 digit number in the address, mine has a 2 digit number and so I try doing the witness slip again and it says invalid character in the address, couldn't find any.

Try removing all punctuation from your address — i.e. E Main St not E. Main St.

Might not be it but I’ve had that error before and it disappeared when punctuation was removed.

The invalid character can be a trailing space. Try looking for extra spaces, and having no space at the end of the address.

I tend to take this, and a couple of other things, up with the ILGA webmaster.

Archived