Photo

Truck Gun?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

#1 splashback

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 09:12 AM

Hi- I am a long time lurker and love the site. I am a current CCW holder and am interested in a truck gun. I spend a lot of time in my truck and would like to have some type of long gun- ie shotgun or AR.

It would be stored in a gun case either under the back seat or under my locked tonneau cover.

What is the legality of this?

Thanks in advance.

#2 WARFACE

• Members
  • 3,033 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 09:25 AM

Its legal but if anyone other than you drives your truck and gets pulled over without a FOID then they are in big trouble. I personally have a Taurus pistol in my console that pretty much stays there except at night. Always the risk of theft though. 

Aspire to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

#3 Cerus

• Members
  • 1,320 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 09:25 AM

Falls under the transporting laws as far as I know. Lots of folks have shoguns mounted under their trunk lid. Has to be unloaded of course iirc.

#4 C0untZer0

Contributing Member in Arrears

• Members
  • 13,393 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 09:26 AM

The Illinois Firearms Concealed Carry Act applies to handguns and defines a concealed firearm as a loaded or unloaded handgun.

You can transport cased and unloaded long guns but that isn't covered under the Illinois FCCA ( formerly the the Family and Personal Protection Act)
“Most gun control arguments miss the point. If all control boils fundamentally to force, how can one resist aggression without equal force? How can a truly “free” state exist if the individual citizen is enslaved to the forceful will of individual or organized aggressors?

It cannot.” 

― Tiffany Madison― 

#5 Xwing

• Members
  • 9,175 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 01:27 PM

It would be legal as long as you comply with 720 ILCS 5/24-1 (4). But if you're carrying it for defensive purposes, I don't see much value in it.  Much better to carry a handgun within the rules of 430 ILCS 66

NRA Lifetime Member
IGOLD 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
CCW - 50 State Firearm Laws: (Android), (iPhone/iPad)
Posted anti-gun business listing: (Android), (iPhone/iPad)
Gun Range Tools & Logs: (Android), (iPhone/iPad)
Illinois Government: (Android), (iPhone/iPad)

#6 +P+

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 05:24 PM

Or, if you have your CCL, you can have the best of both worlds and your truck gun would be an AR Pistol.  Just watch the legality of the capacity of your magazines, depending on where you will be travelling.   :cool:

#7 MrTriple

• Members
  • 1,899 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 07:17 PM

Have you considered a roof-mounted M2?
"The point of [so-called "assault weapon" bans]...is not to ban firearms that are dangerous, it's to ban firearms that gun owners want to own because the people making the laws don't like gun owners. If we want to buy non-semiauto AR-style rifles, they'll ban those too, and for the same reason."

-Hapless

#8 GTX63

• Members
  • 5,013 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 04:36 AM

A loaded 870 in my truck (like a few of our collar state neighbors) would be a comforting thought but I settle for a Remington 1911 in my front console. Full size 45 and easy to swing out of the cab with without smacking the mirror.

#9 Warped

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 06:20 AM

My kind of TRUCK GUN  :drool: 

Edited by Warped, 10 March 2016 - 06:21 AM.

Remember ....Four boxes keep us free: the soap box. the ballot box. the jury box. and the cartridge box.!!

Now living in Arizona and it is not the 2nd amendment utopia that a lot of people think it is

#10 bmyers

• Supporting Members Team
  • 4,202 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 06:24 AM

Depending on the pistol you carry, there a pistol caliber carbines that are take down models that fit into back packs that make nice vehicle guns. Just depends on the purpose of your truck gun?

http://www.justright...ne_Products.php

Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, NRA

ISRA Member

#11 bw200

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 09:04 PM

If you have a truck, ,, think big, look for a surplus 88 from ww2,,, you will be good for everything.

On a side issue, your question seems a bit out of place for someone with a license and a foid card. Having both should have already lead you to looking up such a answer.

Edited by bw200, 10 March 2016 - 09:07 PM.

#12 Double-J

• Members
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 10:24 PM

"It would be stored in a gun case either under the back seat or under my locked tonneau cover."

That's not the intent of concealed carry, which is for personal protection. Either carry on your person or don't. 

#13 UnderCover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 11:02 PM

Kel Tec Sub 2000 enough said

Just Remember, Your Carry and Conceal License is NOT a Badge!

My perfect & favorite gun will be the one I'll be carrying that will save my life & my love ones.

But, the main thing to make it my perfect & favorite gun will be my "Shot Placement" no matter what caliber I'll be using.

Glock.jpg

<><  Trust In God! 

#14 DD123

Freedom Lover

• Supporting Members Team
  • 9,245 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 10:06 AM

Kel Tec Sub 2000 enough said

+1. That's like the perfect trunk/truck gun, especially if the one you have happens to share the same magazines as your carry gun.

Force and intimidation are the tools of tyrants.  - Ron Paul

If Democrats quit shooting people, "gun violence" would go down by 80%.......

Taxation is theft

"Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

#15 UnderCover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 01:31 PM

Just Remember, Your Carry and Conceal License is NOT a Badge!

My perfect & favorite gun will be the one I'll be carrying that will save my life & my love ones.

But, the main thing to make it my perfect & favorite gun will be my "Shot Placement" no matter what caliber I'll be using.

Glock.jpg

<><  Trust In God! 

#16 C0untZer0

Contributing Member in Arrears

• Members
  • 13,393 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 01:38 PM

"It would be stored in a gun case either under the back seat or under my locked tonneau cover."

That's not the intent of concealed carry, which is for personal protection. Either carry on your person or don't. 

Since its a long gun he'd be transporting it.

There is a lot of intent in the FCCA.  There was Brandon Phelps intent and then there was the intent of Mike Madigan's toadies like Deb Mell, Barbara Flynn Currie,  Naomi Jakobsson and others.  I'm sure the anti-gun statists who "allowed" a gun to be carried unloaded in a case never intended for the law to accommodate the carrying of a gun in a center console or glove compartment of a vehicle or carrying it unloaded in a fanny pack but they didn't write the law explicitly enough to prohibit it, so I don't care about their intent.

“Most gun control arguments miss the point. If all control boils fundamentally to force, how can one resist aggression without equal force? How can a truly “free” state exist if the individual citizen is enslaved to the forceful will of individual or organized aggressors?

It cannot.” 

― Tiffany Madison― 

#17 Uncle Harley

• Members
  • 6,044 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 03:29 PM

Falls under the transporting laws as far as I know. Lots of folks have shoguns mounted under their trunk lid. Has to be unloaded of course iirc.

I would say in the trunk is not immediately accessible  and in the transport laws, there is nothing that says not immediately accessible firearms must be unloaded

the 3 conditions are

not immediately accessible,

broken down in a non function state 

or unloaded and enclosed in a case.

Condition 3 is the only one that requires it to be unloaded.

"A river cuts through a rock not because of its power but its persistence." - Jim Watkins

" Never argue with an idiot, passers by won't be able to tell you apart "- Grandpa

#18 Bo69

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 03:37 PM

My kind of TRUCK GUN  :drool: 

FUN FOR THE WHOLE FAMILY

#19 wtr100

• Members
  • 6,402 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 09:05 PM

It would be legal as long as you comply with 720 ILCS 5/24-1 (4). But if you're carrying it for defensive purposes, I don't see much value in it.  Much better to carry a handgun within the rules of 430 ILCS 66

(i) are broken down in a non-functioning state; or
            (ii) are not immediately accessible; or
            (iii) are unloaded and enclosed in a case,

firearm carrying box, shipping box, or other container by a person who has been issued a currently valid Firearm Owner's Identification Card; or
            (iv) are carried or possessed in accordance with

the Firearm Concealed Carry Act by a person who has been issued a currently valid license under the Firearm Concealed Carry Act; or

Have your musket clean as a whistle, hatchet scoured, 60 rounds powder and ball and be ready to march at a minute's warning

ISRA Life Member
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun
NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
ISP Approved Concealed Carry Instructor

#20 Cerus

• Members
  • 1,320 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 01:13 AM

I would say in the trunk is not immediately accessible  and in the transport laws, there is nothing that says not immediately accessible firearms must be unloaded

the 3 conditions are

not immediately accessible,

broken down in a non function state 

or unloaded and enclosed in a case.

Condition 3 is the only one that requires it to be unloaded.

This is true - forgot about the "or" and immediately accessible part.