jwarren10101

Am not aware of any state laws in regard to pistol bbl length, but if so, hopefully someone will chime in. As in the other AR pistol thread, Cook includes within their AWB but one would expect state preemption to prevail.

====

For purposes of this paragraph, (1) "firearm" is defined as in the Firearm Owners Identification Card Act; and (2) "handgun" is defined as a firearm designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand, and includes a combination of parts from which such a firearm can be assembled.

Am not aware of any state laws in regard to pistol bbl length, but if so, hopefully someone will chime in. As in the other AR pistol thread, Cook includes within their AWB but one would expect state preemption to prevail.

====

For purposes of this paragraph, (1) "firearm" is defined as in the Firearm Owners Identification Card Act; and (2) "handgun" is defined as a firearm designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand, and includes a combination of parts from which such a firearm can be assembled.

Because of this if I still lived in Illinois I'd use a Tailhook brace on your pistol build. It can legitimately pass the test of being "designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand.

I might also consider building in a pistol caliber, say 10mm.

I might also consider building in a pistol caliber

I too would consider a pistol caliber and perhaps a shorter bbl.

the receiver must be listed as a pistol

Are you 100% sure on that? I thought it might be "other". Build it initially as a pistol and you can go back and forth from pistol to rifle. Start life as a rifle, always a rifle.

Why the pistol caliber? For legal or practical reasons?

Practical reasons for me I guess. In normal times, round options, availability, cost... And I guess it depends on where you plan on keeping it...at home? Vehicle gun? I know .223 is supposedly a good HD round but Im partial to 9mm, at least inside short distances.

If you buy a stripped lower, it should be other. If it's a built lower or complete firearm, it would then be marked as pistol or rifle. A stripped lower can become either. An assembled lower will either have a stock on it (rifle) or just a buffer tube (should be marked as pistol i think). I'm not 100% positive on the assembled lowers.

Why the pistol caliber? For legal or practical reasons?

Practical reasons for me I guess. In normal times, round options, availability, cost... And I guess it depends on where you plan on keeping it...at home? Vehicle gun? I know .223 is supposedly a good HD round but Im partial to 9mm, at least inside short distances.

I suggested pistol caliber because of the practical reason that you can have a 9mm or 10mm Glock that uses the same magazines. Keep the Glock in your holster and the AR Pistol in your trunk.

Having your AR Pistol in a pistol caliber also adds credit to the concept that the gun was built and designed to be a pistol.

Would it matter if the lower is marked as pistol or other? Since I was under the impression that you could convert a pistol into a rifle and back if needed.

IANAL. I am not sure it even matters if the lower is marked. The designation discussed is on the paperwork. Just get a stripped lower or one that was originally assembled as a pistol i.e no stock. As stated above, started a a pistol allows conversions and back.

Archived