Congress to FBI: Fix Gaps in Background Check System

mauserme

Focusing on the system instead of gun owners:

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-met-aurora-shooting-gun-fbi-congress-20190301-story.html

Members of Congress to FBI: Fix gaps in background check system that allowed Aurora shooter to buy gun

By Annie Sweeney and Stacy St. ClairContact Reporters

Chicago Tribune

Several lawmakers are asking the FBI to address the flawed national databases that allowed the Aurora shooter to purchase the gun he used to kill five co-workers and wound several officers last month.

In a letter sent to the nations top law enforcement agency Friday, some members of Illinois congressional delegation requested the FBI review its records to verify that all felony and domestic violence-related convictions are shared across the myriad federal criminal databases.

The letter also asks the FBI to check its fingerprint records to ensure that all convicted felons listed also appear in databases used to perform background checks on would-be gun owners a nod to the weaknesses exposed after the Feb. 15 warehouse shooting.

In the letter to the FBI, Foster along with U.S. Rep. Lauren Underwood, D-Aurora, and Democratic Sens. Dick Durbin and Tammy Duckworth requested the FBI review its databases to ensure they all share the same information. By doing so, it could go a long way toward preventing tragedies like the Aurora shooting, the lawmakers said.

Such cross-posting of conviction information between (databases) potentially could have enabled the January 2014 firearms background check of the Aurora gunman to disclose his status as a prohibited felon, the letter states.

The delegation members specifically asked the FBI to verify that the name of every felon with fingerprints on file is also included in the databases used in gun-related background checks. The letter acknowledges that states play a critical role in creating thorough databases, but officials said federal law enforcement also shares in the responsibility.

The letter has the support of the Illinois State Police ...

Admittedly I havent studied this BG check talk all that much because we in Illinois already suffer such strict scrutiny

but isnt this exactly what weve been asking for?

Finally Illinois does something smart?

enforce the laws that are already in place instead of creating new ones

BG checks arent in the true spirit of 2A, but they do fall in what we always go along with, give a little 'common sense' and even we agree certain persons should be banned

if there is a BG check system we must submit to, they should push to make it a perfect system that doesnt let criminals slip through the cracks...... that just makes it harder on the law abiding gun owners

Dont need any more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is not another check it is about making the one they are using reliable with up to date information.

If such a system is going to be used to deny people their rights it should be a requirement that everyone in the system should be notified and why they are in it. People in it should be provided a way to get removed from it if they should not be on it. Otherwise it's another "no fly list".

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

What worries me about these back ground checks (whether it is the current system or a new one) is they can take their sweet time doing it and thus force folks to wait for as long as they want before allowing them to buy a gun. My dad had to wait over a week for Wal Mart to get his background down so he could buy a single shot 410 shotgun. They also refused to start the 72 hour waiting period until he passed the background.

If such a system is going to be used to deny people their rights it should be a requirement that everyone in the system should be notified and why they are in it. People in it should be provided a way to get removed from it if they should not be on it. Otherwise it's another "no fly list". Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Such a system is 'supposedly' already in place... they are just trying to fix it because it doesnt work as it should

This is completely different from the no fly list.... the no fly list is arbitrary at best based on opinion of who is a risk..................

This list is only those people who have been deemed unworthy of their rights as we have subsribed by law

If youre on this list it is for reason of conviction, mental health, domestic violence, etc

Those things that we 'agree' are 'common sense' to not allow someone to have a gun

If such a system is going to be used to deny people their rights it should be a requirement that everyone in the system should be notified and why they are in it. People in it should be provided a way to get removed from it if they should not be on it. Otherwise it's another "no fly list". Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Such a system is 'supposedly' already in place... they are just trying to fix it because it doesnt work as it should

This is completely different from the no fly list.... the no fly list is arbitrary at best based on opinion of who is a risk..................

This list is only those people who have been deemed unworthy of their rights as we have subsribed by law

If youre on this list it is for reason of conviction, mental health, domestic violence, etc

Those things that we 'agree' are 'common sense' to not allow someone to have a gun

Right, vets that can't balance their check book should loose their gun rights.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Archived