SCOTUS 2nd Amendment

Ranger

Good article at the following link...

https://www.scotusblog.com/2020/10/symposium-barretts-history-first-approach-to-the-second-amendment/#more-297166

Helps illustrate why the antigun folks are so anti-Barrett and gives the rest of us more hope in our rights being fully recognized.

She's got to get on SCOTUS first; but that is currently looking pretty good and once on... It is my hope that the new (solid and hopefully long lived) majority will rule that most of the 2nd amendment related restrictions are unconstitutional. FOID, SBR, suppressors, higher capacity magazines, restrictions by village, knife laws, etc... May lead to more individual freedoms than we've been allowed to enjoy for a very long time.

All as a result of Trump getting elected and Mitch pushing good judges through. If Hillary had been elected and Democrats had taken the Senate we would have been in a very bad position for the rest of our lives. Elections matter. I hope the older conservative SCOTUS members are leading healthy lives, taking precautions, and being careful. If Trump gets reelected and the Republications keep the Senate, I hope they consider retiring in time for Trump to appoint their replacement to help ensure the court stays strong long into the future.

The history of recent Supreme Courts has been one of gradualism, tempered with internal compromise.

I would like to see, but I don't actually think I will see, Heller-quality decisions right away -- before the new Democratic majorities in both branches of Congress send a new SC structure to a Democrat president to sign.

No matter what you think about Trump now, he has set up a decline in the significance and influence of the Republican party for at least the near term -- not only in the courts, but also with the upcoming congressional reapportionment and other critical areas.

Wish it wasn't so, but I believe it is...

Rich Phillips

The history of recent Supreme Courts has been one of gradualism, tempered with internal compromise.

I would like to see, but I don't actually think I will see, Heller-quality decisions right away -- before the new Democratic majorities in both branches of Congress send a new SC structure to a Democrat president to sign.

No matter what you think about Trump now, he has set up a decline in the significance and influence of the Republican party for at least the near term -- not only in the courts, but also with the upcoming congressional reapportionment and other critical areas.

Wish it wasn't so, but I believe it is...

Rich Phillips

Not Trump. The Democrats and the Left. Do you really think this radicalization was the result of anything Trump did? The Left has worked on indoctrination via the "educational" system for over 30 years, and they now have1.5 generations of majority brainwashed lefties. The media has shown blatant Dem/Left bias since at least 2008. The results of all their "work" is now coming to fruition.

What if Hillary had won in 2016? We'd have some form of socialized medicine and a 6-3 Activist-majority SCOTUS now (really 7-2, thanks Roberts). They would have granted amnesty to tens of millions of illegals, threw open the border to invite in more, and done what they could to fastrack citizenship to gain more Dem votes. if anything, Trump threw off their timetable. THAT is why they are so angry!

I think that notwithstanding the fact Trump has done some things to advance certain parts of the conservative agenda -- the courts and regulatory relief come to mind -- the downballot fallout from this election is going to be dramatically harmful to the vitality of the Republican party for quite some time.

I could be reading things poorly, and there could be a vast hidden reservoir of Trump voters who will pull it out for him. But every current indication is that he has little or no chance himself, and that his drag on the ticket will mean there will Democrat gains in the House, and the Senate will convert to Democrat control.

All that predicts poorly for the newly constituted SC to do much for us before the retribution begins. And even if it's no more than Thomas dying (please, no!), the favorable tilt we now see won't last long anyway. Roberts is too consumed with his goal of keeping the Court from moving dramatically. Once Biden gets even one pick with a Democrat Senate, Roberts will align left as he feels he needs to in order to preserve his "legacy".

Love to think I'm wrong, but I'm a realist...

Rich Phillips

I know what polls are saying, but I think polls lie. Down state and in other areas of the country, you should see the amount of support at Trump rallies. I’m also hearing where people lie to pollsters, or just hang up on them. Trump also seems to have a lot more support in the African American community just watching news and hearing stuff on YouTube, and hearing people talk. I know I’ve seen things where people said they were voting Biden because they were afraid of their business/home being targeted, but that they were really going to vote for Trump.

Just remember, 2016 people didn’t think Trump could win. I’m thinking the polls are set up to show Trump losing to suppress the vote to try to get people to not vote.

I know what polls are saying, but I think polls lie. Down state and in other areas of the country, you should see the amount of support at Trump rallies. I’m also hearing where people lie to pollsters, or just hang up on them. Trump also seems to have a lot more support in the African American community just watching news and hearing stuff on YouTube, and hearing people talk. I know I’ve seen things where people said they were voting Biden because they were afraid of their business/home being targeted, but that they were really going to vote for Trump.

Just remember, 2016 people didn’t think Trump could win. I’m thinking the polls are set up to show Trump losing to suppress the vote to try to get people to not vote.

A week ago I was at the Trump Rally in Janesville. Plenty of Trump supporters were there... unmasked and enthusiastic.

Yesterday I drove smaller roads from Madison south to somewhere west of Janesville. There were far more Biden signs than Trump signs along the cornfields, and small dairy farms.

Buckeye, what you say is largely true. But I don't think those will be the key deciding factors.

I think this Hunter Biden stuff might have helped tip things more usefully toward Trump if it had been publicized earlier. But more than 50 million votes have already been cast -- about one third of the expected turnout. Those ballots are locked in; Biden and his son could be indicted today and the votes already cast for him are unchangeable.

And once Biden, followed by Harris, are President, the current more favorable SC environment will first erode and then evaporate.

Rich Phillips

We will see. Was hearing reports that in battle ground states though that Trump in early voting was even in Michigan and Wisconsin and a little ahead in Ohio. At least that’s what the radio said last week. I do agree about mail in ballots though. One advantage republicans may have is that I think they’ve been saying 96% of the party is behind Trump. Being realistic, the main reason people are voting Biden is because they hate Trump. I did see something the other day that said 45% of African Americans were happy with Trump. I think he got 6 or 8% of their votes. What if he were to get say 20% or higher of those votes?

I may be doing wishful thinking. But I notice JB Pritzker is trying to put lockdowns in again in Chicago, and in other areas. My thinking is though, they were doing that for 2 weeks at a time which is right up against Election Day. I remember a few months ago seeing video of people marching in Chicago against lockdowns. I think there may be a lot of ticked off people up there. So our governor may be reminding people at the right time that they don’t like democrats trying to run their lives.

I don't think the democrats will have the votes to pack the court, so now the real battle is getting SCOTUS to hear meaningful cases. Unfortunately it's hard to get rights back...

I like that Biden has said that he'll form a bipartisan commission. That takes the pressure off of him and he knows that such a move to change the makeup of SCOTUS shouldn't be taken lightly. There's really no legitimate reason to expand the court other than for one party to expand their influence, which would lead the other party to do the same...

Court appointments are why I voted for Trump. He's made me grit my teeth and shake my head a lot over the last four years, but I'm grateful for his court appointments, we're going to need them.

We will see. Was hearing reports that in battle ground states though that Trump in early voting was even in Michigan and Wisconsin and a little ahead in Ohio. At least that’s what the radio said last week. I do agree about mail in ballots though. One advantage republicans may have is that I think they’ve been saying 96% of the party is behind Trump. Being realistic, the main reason people are voting Biden is because they hate Trump. I did see something the other day that said 45% of African Americans were happy with Trump. I think he got 6 or 8% of their votes. What if he were to get say 20% or higher of those votes?

I may be doing wishful thinking. But I notice JB Pritzker is trying to put lockdowns in again in Chicago, and in other areas. My thinking is though, they were doing that for 2 weeks at a time which is right up against Election Day. I remember a few months ago seeing video of people marching in Chicago against lockdowns. I think there may be a lot of ticked off people up there. So our governor may be reminding people at the right time that they don’t like democrats trying to run their lives.

I think we're pretty much where we were in 2016. The swing states will pretty much all go the same way. Trump has the momentum right now, just like in 2016. So I see a similar result.

I don't think the democrats will have the votes to pack the court, so now the real battle is getting SCOTUS to hear meaningful cases. Unfortunately it's hard to get rights back...

I like that Biden has said that he'll form a bipartisan commission. That takes the pressure off of him and he knows that such a move to change the makeup of SCOTUS shouldn't be taken lightly. There's really no legitimate reason to expand the court other than for one party to expand their influence, which would lead the other party to do the same...

Court appointments are why I voted for Trump. He's made me grit my teeth and shake my head a lot over the last four years, but I'm grateful for his court appointments, we're going to need them.

I would compare the polls to what the final totals were in 2016. A few points either way you'd expect, but I'm seeing some really crazy ones in non-competitive states where Biden is outperforming Obama and showing a 25 point swing from 2016.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics/biden-raising-taxes-top-priority-trump-election-wall-street

Saw this earlier. Speaking of Biden, my wife said he had a rally with Bon Jovi, and that barely anyone showed up. It’s like my wife and I were saying, it feels like Trump is one of us, and that he kind of shows that you can become what you want to be in the USA.

Trump isn't stupid. He's having massive rallies in the states that he has to win.

The crowds are huge, he literally makes the cameras swing around to show the crowd size.

Though the President will disagree, his rallies of late are nowhere as large as his rallies of 2016.

The pandemic, in part, is a likely cause for the shrinking crowds.

In 2016 they packed folks in like sardines and had them spread out once everyone was inside, to fill up the space.

In late 2020 they no longer need to do that.

Trump isn't stupid. He's having massive rallies in the states that he has to win.

The crowds are huge, he literally makes the cameras swing around to show the crowd size.

Though the President will disagree, his rallies of late are nowhere as large as his rallies of 2016.

In 2016 they packed folks in like sardines and had them spread out once everyone was inside, to fill up the space.

In 2018 they no longer need to do that.

How many does your buddy attract? You know, the old Demented, Trojan Horse dude.

How many does your buddy attract? You know, the old Demented, Trojan Horse dude.

It doesn’t much matter. Biden isn’t obsessed over crowd size.

Sooooo, if the DumboCrats sweep everything, and then try to pack SCOTUS, what happens if SCOTUS rules 6-3 (or any other majority) that that was unconstitutional? Who's gonna overrule SCOTUS? It might then be argued that this is not a constitutional issue, but still, who's gonna overrule SCOTUS? SCOTUS could just say that it is.

He should be, it's like four cars and Bon Jovi.

Trump has thousands of people at his rallies, they are waiting outside just to hear him.

It's better then Covid, Fargle, Taxes and honk honk followed by "Living On a Prayer."

Then one or two cars are left. It's just sad.

I truly think they just come to see him old man dance to YMCA at the end of the show!

In Janesville folks were leaving early... like Cub Fans near the end of the seventh.

who's gonna overrule SCOTUS? SCOTUS could just say that it is.

US Constitution, Article III, Section 2: In all Cases affecting Ambassadors, other public Ministers and Consuls, and those in which a State shall be Party, the supreme Court shall have original Jurisdiction. In all the other Cases before mentioned, the supreme Court shall have appellate Jurisdiction, both as to Law and Fact, with such Exceptions, and under such Regulations as the Congress shall make.

Wait a second - You cut Trump over the attendance of his rally's, during a frigging Pandemic no less, and YOU fail to observe that your POS candidate can't get 10% of Trumps numbers?

Now in defense, for Biden, it doesn't matter? LOL. Could it be all the Karen's can't get babysitters, and they are all afraid of bringing their kids within a mile of Pedo Joe?

Dude, you really are reaching.

Dude yourself... I'm saying that President Trump thinks his crowd size is bigger now than it was in 2016. That is not the case. He is wrong or intentionally misleading you, yet again. I think a good part of his sagging numbers is the pandemic... another part is lower interest.

Biden doesn't need huge crowds. His ego doesn't need to be stroked.

Trump's ego needs constant stroking.

Dude yourself... I'm saying that President Trump thinks his crowd size is bigger now than it was in 2016. That is not the case. He is wrong or intentionally misleading you, yet again. I think a good part of his sagging numbers is the pandemic... another part is lower interest.

Another possibility is Biden doesn’t care about big crowds because his is running on the platform of “I am not Trump” so crowd size doesn’t matter.

LOL, again selective administration of your binders. Trumps slightly lower numbers are still LIGHT F'n YEARS higher than Pedo Joe's. End of Discussion.

And speaking of stroking, Umm, refer back to Pedo Joe and the Karen's kids. If anyone has a proclivity to stroking, it's YOUR Hero. I'd love to finish off that thought, but you'll get a pass today.

Lastly, I could think of a number of more appropriate words than Dude. Trust me, that was a gift.

soundguy: I'm genuinely intrigued. How do you reconcile within yourself supporting an anti-second amendment radical who will likely attempt to destroy your second amendment rights if you are truly a second amendment supporter? You seem rationale in most of your posts and I imagine your reply will touch on other stuff being more important to you; but gosh. It just doesn't jive. Trump has done more good for the 2nd amendment, the economy, the poor, justice reform, and world peace in four years than O/B did in eight years and he did it while battling a very hostile House for two of those and the main stream media / entrenched establishment for all four. I'm right smack dab in the middle of the covid 19 crap and though I'm not convinced that Trump has handled it well, I'm also not convinced that Clinton nor Biden would have handled it better. I suspect they would have done worse. I also suspect all the rioting / looting / violence in the big Dem cities would have been much worse too. I have relatives and friends that support Biden and I still love / like them; but...

Good luck - When these guys started coming out, and began stirring the pot here with their nonsense, we ALL tried very nicely to understand how they reconcile their positions.

Clearly, the 2A doesn't not rank and/or they don't care if they lose their gun rights. I think one particularly vocal guy in this IC Liberal group famously said, 'The only reason he owns a gun is to protect himself from the Conservatives.' Classy. Rather telling of the cerebral capacity as anyone with an ounce of commonsense knows that true criminals will never give up their guns and will always have them.

So the reality is, they are OK with gangbangers having guns, provided the Conservatives don't. Speaks volumes.

Ranger,

I'm not a single issue voter.

Nor am I a fanboy, for anyone.

Trump has done more good for the 2nd amendment, the economy, the poor, justice reform, and world peace in four years than O/B did in eight years and he did it while battling a very hostile House for two of those and the main stream media / entrenched establishment for all four.

I disagree with the amount of "good" Trump has accomplished in three plus years. I see much bad that will last for ages and more to come in a second term. It doesn't balance out. So, the 2A... while the NRA (Ilifetime member/current contributor) talked about the impending loss of 2A rights before the 2008 election... we only saw ammo shortages, price increases and hoarding. While we will need to be vigilant and vocal with a Biden/Harris team, I expect the 2A is fairly resilient.

The PRESS isn't supposed to be coddling our elected officials. They are supposed to ask the hard questions. When answers are not forthcoming... the questions necessarily get harder.

It's a long roller coaster ride.

It's gonna be extra interesting for the next three weeks!

*My goal would be to have the D party fully support guns... steep uphill battle but I'm slowly working on it.

Heading to Iowa for a few days to talk to farmers... probably a voter story.

Kinda wish I could do the WI Trump Rally tomorrow.

Always a good time!

I personally think it's a good thing but even though soundguy is entitled to his opinion,

I think that it's another 4 years of Trump.

There are many variables that come into play, it isn't just about yard signs.

I can't predict this future. I knew there was a chance for Trump 4 years ago.

Stay rested and fully hydrated for the next three weeks!

Archived