Governor Commits to Veto Gun Dealer Licensing Bill! Signs Emergency Intervention Bill and 72-Hr. Waiting Period

Molly B.

You can't reason with the far right, just as you can't reason with the far left. To them, anyone who refuses to push to ban abortion (which you can't do as a governor, anyway), compromises in any way on any issue, is a RINO. They will then stay home, refuse to vote for the Rino out of spite, then complain about the liberal Democrat who is ruining the state.

Someone needs to tell these people that we do not live in Wyoming, and there is absolutely no way to win Statewide without a substantial Democratic crossover vote. I'll never forget when Judy baar topinka had had enough of them, and gave them what they wanted in Allen Keyes. Boy, that's 71 to 29% margin was a tight one ...

You can't reason with the far right, just as you can't reason with the far left. To them, anyone who refuses to push to ban abortion (which you can't do as a governor, anyway), compromises in any way on any issue, is a RINO. They will then stay home, refuse to vote for the Rino out of spite, then complain about the liberal Democrat who is ruining the state.

Someone needs to tell these people that we do not live in Wyoming, and there is absolutely no way to win Statewide without a substantial Democratic crossover vote. I'll never forget when Judy baar topinka had had enough of them, and gave them what they wanted in Allen Keyes. Boy, that's 71 to 29% margin was a tight one ...

Spot on

So we lost more and gained absolutely nothing in return. Bravo.

Yes, we did gain - we prevented codifying a definition of 'assault' weapons into law. We prevented registration of private sales. We prevented a ban on body armor/ magazines, anonymous tip lines. We prevented all manner of atrocities in a climate hellbent to pass it all. Those are wins, my brother. Those are wins. Thank goodness we had a governor who agreed with us. Heaven help us if that changes.

The majority of people here will still give this guy their vote. There could be video of him slashing their own grandmother's throat and they'd still vote for him. He's the "lesser of two evils", doncha know?

Rauner is a clown. He's never been a friend of ours. How can you sign a 72h waiting period if you're in favor of gun rights? Has any such waiting period EVER been proven to be effective in reducing crime?

Who does Rauner beieve his base is? Who is he think he's capitulating to? Soccer moms? Or he just thinks it'll give Pritzker less ammo against him in campaign ads? Is he trying to appear to be moderate by vetoing one bill but signing the other?

He's buying no points with the left...and at the same time managing to piss off half of what should be his stronghold. He's too dumb to be governor. He can't make a strong case why these laws are bad...because he believes in them. He couldn't even rally enough Republicans together to stop the override of the veto on the tax increase. He's a joke.

Rauner was the LAST chance to save this state. He squandered it. The state is finished. Done. It's over. Get used to it.

Between now and election day I'm going to stockpile a bunch of AR lowers. I won't comply with any ban. I wonder how many of the readers here will join me.

You are so very, very wrong. The 72-hour waiting period passed with an overwhelming super-majority. If you want to be upset with someone, be upset with the turncoat republicans who turned tail and betrayed their constituents. What Gov. Rauner did with this bill is prevent the definition of a 'assault' weapon being codified into law. That was the only thing in his power to do, and he did it - for gun owners!

It would have been nice if he'd used an amendatory veto on the 72 hr. waiting period bill to exclude CCL holders from any waiting period at all.

we tried to get the sponsor of the bill to include this and I think a "hostile" amendment was filed but was not taken up for consideration. However, with the humongous super-majority this bill had - an override was a sure thing.

Posted · Hidden by Molly B., December 12, 2018 at 04:10 PM - No reason given
Hidden by Molly B., December 12, 2018 at 04:10 PM - No reason given

The majority of people here will still give this guy their vote. There could be video of him slashing their own grandmother's throat and they'd still vote for him. He's the "lesser of two evils", doncha know?

Rauner is a clown. He's never been a friend of ours. How can you sign a 72h waiting period if you're in favor of gun rights? Has any such waiting period EVER been proven to be effective in reducing crime?

Who does Rauner beieve his base is? Who is he think he's capitulating to? Soccer moms? Or he just thinks it'll give Pritzker less ammo against him in campaign ads? Is he trying to appear to be moderate by vetoing one bill but signing the other?

He's buying no points with the left...and at the same time managing to piss off half of what should be his stronghold. He's too dumb to be governor. He can't make a strong case why these laws are bad...because he believes in them. He couldn't even rally enough Republicans together to stop the override of the veto on the tax increase. He's a joke.

Rauner was the LAST chance to save this state. He squandered it. The state is finished. Done. It's over. Get used to it.

Between now and election day I'm going to stockpile a bunch of AR lowers. I won't comply with any ban. I wonder how many of the readers here will join me.

You are so very, very wrong. The 72-hour waiting period passed with an overwhelming super-majority. If you want to be upset with someone, be upset with the turncoat republicans who turned tail and betrayed their constituents. What Gov. Rauner did with this bill is prevent the definition of a 'assault' weapon being codified into law. That was the only thing in his power to do, and he did it - for gun owners!

We honestly should be thanking him tremendously. He only has so much power.

There are things in these bills some of us don’t like but the cards were stacked against gun owners and even some so-called Republicans in DuPage Cty became turn coats and sided with the anti-gun zealots. [Olsen, Curran, I’m looking at you)

As much as we don’t like it, things could have been much worse. If (when) Pritzker gets in we will sadly be looking back at this as the good ‘ole days.

With the political climate in Illinois we cannot expect perfection in this most imperfect state.

It gets back to people being absolutely clueless as to the nature of the state of illinois. Imagining that we can have red meat candidates that actually win elections. We are blessed to have a rauner instead of a Christie, though. We can easily have far worse but state demographics do give us trapped conservatives an opportunity other blue states like NJ would kill for. We are not Texas, but we can easily be California or New Jersey where the 2nd is concerned. It can get far worse to the point where hiding a few naughty lowers in a safe are the least of your concerns. People in NJ get real jail time if they are pulled over and a cop finds the wrong type of bullet. Or if they actually want to take one of those safe queen banned or highly restricted guns to a range and get stopped in the process. They do prosecute and just because they don't here today that doesn't mean they won't.

Stubbornness also comes into play. Look at the "conservative" never trumpers who are still never trumpers despite how remarkably different the future of conservative America would be today. Two highly progressive court appointees and all our semi autos become safe queens not to be seen at any range in any state. Senseless, emotional virtue signalling just like the social justice warriors on the left. So, don't worry about the dead enders. Might as well try to convince a hard core emotion dirven progressive to change his or her opinion. How about this. Everyone promise and work to grow the idea that each of us convince and coordinate getting 2-3 fence sitters actually to the polls in November. Picking them up and driving them if required. I've sat there on early voting days and watched democrat volunteers do just that.

And, keep in mind the progressives are out there in the open and there is growing push back including among democrats. Don't assume there will be a blue wave even in illinois. But there will be if we don't turn out and do our part for whatever reasons.

It would have been nice if he'd used an amendatory veto on the 72 hr. waiting period bill to exclude CCL holders from any waiting period at all.

we tried to get the sponsor of the bill to include this and I think a "hostile" amendment was filed but was not taken up for consideration. However, with the humongous super-majority this bill had - an override was a sure thing.

If that had been the only change, do you think it would have been overridden without a second thought? I know the numbers were pretty big against us when it passed.

It gets back to people being absolutely clueless as to the nature of the state of illinois. Imagining that we can have red meat candidates that actually win elections. We are blessed to have a rauner instead of a Christie, though. We can easily have far worse but state demographics do give us trapped conservatives an opportunity other blue states like NJ would kill for. We are not Texas, but we can easily be California or New Jersey where the 2nd is concerned. It can get far worse to the point where hiding a few naughty lowers in a safe are the least of your concerns. People in NJ get real jail time if they are pulled over and a cop finds the wrong type of bullet. Or if they actually want to take one of those safe queen banned or highly restricted guns to a range and get stopped in the process. They do prosecute and just because they don't here today that doesn't mean they won't.

Stubbornness also comes into play. Look at the "conservative" never trumpers who are still never trumpers despite how remarkably different the future of conservative America would be today. Two highly progressive court appointees and all our semi autos become safe queens not to be seen at any range in any state. Senseless, emotional virtue signalling just like the social justice warriors on the left. So, don't worry about the dead enders. Might as well try to convince a hard core emotion dirven progressive to change his or her opinion. How about this. Everyone promise and work to grow the idea that each of us convince and coordinate getting 2-3 fence sitters actually to the polls in November. Picking them up and driving them if required. I've sat there on early voting days and watched democrat volunteers do just that.

And, keep in mind the progressives are out there in the open and there is growing push back including among democrats. Don't assume there will be a blue wave even in illinois. But there will be if we don't turn out and do our part for whatever reasons.

That's funny. I'm not a never Trumper. I voted for him and would do so again. That doesn't automatically make me a Rauner supporter. I voted for Rauner four years ago and was very excited at the victory. I thought we had a chance to pull the state out of the death spiral. I was wrong. The man has stabbed me in the back.

I don't imagine we are going to get a real conservative as governor of this state. But at least we could get someone who is reasonable. This guy is a clown.

As I've said over and over and over and over again. JB is going to win this election by more than 51%...most likely MUCH more. That means if you take ALL the people who vote for Rauner and ALL the people who vote for third party candidates and COMBINE them, none of them could have beat JB. Watch.

Furthermore, if now isn't the time to say NO MORE, when will it be? The answer is never.

I honestly don't care if the term "assault weapon" is codified into law. So, yeah, thanks, Mr. Governor.

The last best hope for gun owners is a Supreme Court that will take cases like the one in Park Ridge and rule the ban on scary-looking black semi-automatic rifles is unconstitutional.

That's funny. I'm not a never Trumper. I voted for him and would do so again. That doesn't automatically make me a Rauner supporter. I voted for Rauner four years ago and was very excited at the victory. I thought we had a chance to pull the state out of the death spiral. I was wrong. The man has stabbed me in the back.

I don't imagine we are going to get a real conservative as governor of this state. But at least we could get someone who is reasonable. This guy is a clown.

As I've said over and over and over and over again. JB is going to win this election by more than 51%...most likely MUCH more. That means if you take ALL the people who vote for Rauner and ALL the people who vote for third party candidates and COMBINE them, none of them could have beat JB. Watch.

Furthermore, if now isn't the time to say NO MORE, when will it be? The answer is never.

I wasn't saying you were a never trumper, just drawing a direct comparison to that mindset and what would have happened if the mindset had won. Actions and inactions both have consequences. Your missing vote will have to be replaced.

I would like a better governor myself. It p***** me off when the GOP ran moderates, center left candidates nationally. You could run the numbers, look at legislative elections and see that as being a decision made because they preferred moderates over the base's preferences vs. that being the best they could offer. It's hard to look at illinois and see that being the case . If you look at the demographics and voting numbers historically that is not going to happen in Illinois. Frankly, we could easily have a Christie who is just as soft on the 2nd as he is on abortion. We could have a pritzker who will push gun control hard along with the range of California style initiatives far beyond that. Given the swing nature of the collar counties and the influence of soccer moms and their views on Abortion getting a bible belt level social conservative is not going to happen. It wasn't going to happen years ago when RINO Ryan beat conservative Dem Pushard. If you want that gov. you'll have to move, and likely past the Mason/Dixon line.

As for November, Pritzker may win but I'm not interested in assuming that is the case. FWIW I KNEW Trump would win. I would not have been shocked if Hillary pulled it off but I would have been surprised. IMO we are seeing an even increased pushback nationally against identity politics and social justice warriors and the Dems moving even harder in that direction. Illinois is a unique case in many ways but IMO if we do our part I'm not all that sure the Dems will get a huge turnout. Of course it would be nice to see better messaging from ILGOP than what I have seen so far. If there is a big push it will be over abortion nationally and to a much lesser extent gun control and Rauner has covered himself with both so it will be harder to gin up the suburban outrage.

There were several battles won in this fight. Given the fervor of the parkland folks and the sweeping rash of gun control measures around the country, I'd say we did pretty well.

We didn’t do well. We just got boned less this time around.

Posted · Hidden by Molly B., December 12, 2018 at 04:10 PM - No reason given
Hidden by Molly B., December 12, 2018 at 04:10 PM - No reason given

There were several battles won in this fight. Given the fervor of the parkland folks and the sweeping rash of gun control measures around the country, I'd say we did pretty well.

We didn’t do well. We just got boned less this time around.

This was their D-Day assault on Normandy. We held them off pretty damn good (for now)

I said this in other threads:

All I have to say after reading all the comments above is that if this is the WORST "anti-gun" stuff that happens to

us in Illinois in 2018 after the viral stirred up force 5 hurricane that hit the nation and this state as hard as it did,

we did a REALLY (expletive) OUTSTANDING JOB.

this is extra:

And in the future we may raise our bloodied and battered heads and LONGINGLY look back to this year.

MAYBE the Supreme Court will help beat back SOME of the horrors being contemplated by the anti's for us, but each of those takes YEARS and careful maneuvering.

If that had been the only change, do you think it would have been overridden without a second thought? I know the numbers were pretty big against us when it passed.

They more than likey would have thrown out his AV and just overrode his veto for the original bill. If it had been closer to just over a majority then we could have probably pulled some R's back to our side. But they had it well and truly covered that they never would have looked at his AV.

I thought we had a chance to pull the state out of the death spiral. I was wrong. The man has stabbed me in the back.

Just what do you think a Governor alone can do about that? You appear to have no clue at all how the state government works and that Democrats have a supermajority.

As long as Madigan is in control of our state nobody will be able to pull it out of the death spiral.

As long as Madigan is in control of our state nobody will be able to pull it out of the death spiral.

I hate to break it to you, but we're well past the point of being able to recover from the death spiral. We're in it and there's no reasonable way out. The math just doesn't work.

The only reasonable way out now is available at your local U HAUL truck rental outlet.

While I'm not a fan of any of this crap, I can say this:

If you don't vote for Rauner this election, you might as well as put on a dress, sell your guns, and start voting democrat, because staying home or voting third party guarantees a win for Pricksturd.

Yeah it doesn’t even matter. Between the PP deal and this the voter turnout won’t be high enough to win. That’s just fact. It’s not that JB is going to win, it’s that Rauner is going to lose.

With a shrinking republican voter base in this state, one would think that republican voters were logical enough to realize that taking their ball and going home (not voting), guarantees that everything they're against gets rubber stamped when the house, senate, and governor's house are all ruled over by the dems.

That'll show them....

The GOP voters in this state are one of the biggest reasons I want to GTFO as soon as possible. Rather than acknowledge the reality we're living in, and figuring out how to win in spite of how our voter base has been shrinking (we do know that most of the people that are fleeing don't vote democrat right ? ), we "vote with our conscious" by staying home and allowing someone who would sign bills FAR WORSE than anything Rauner would sign.

Staying home this election rather than voting for Rauner is like pulling your goalie and then being shocked when empty net goals are scored, because that's exactly what Pricksturd would be in this analogy.....the empty net letting goals (bills) in. And voting third party would be like your own team member scoring on your own goal lol.

It's hilarious how dumb GOP voters are.....that they'll stay home and let someone else win, someone who would be far worse on abortion LOL. By standing on "principle", and staying home rather than voting for Rauner, you allow that "principle" you stood on, to get trampled on by Pricksturd, when he gets in and just allows everything through that the general assembly wants.

Here's what GOP voters, voting with their conscious will get us:

- Rubber stamped bills on everything we've been fighting against as "conservatives" in Illinois

- AR bans

- Mag capacity bans

- Armor bans

- Horribly out of balance budgets

- Funding for even more "social" projects that the GOP would have a stroke over if Rauner approved of them. Don't like abortions, guess what the ILGA will do once they have Pricksturd in who will just sign whatever abortion bills they send him?

- Progressive income tax, along with other taxes being raised, or new ones instituted.

All of this, and more, thanks to people who "vote their conscious".

Voters are the same in every state. When they’re excited more turn out. It just happens that our numbers are such that a lackluster performance (as in he didn’t defeat Madigan-not really his fault) will lose some swing voters, and some of the core base will not ever vote for him no matter what because of PP and now the gun control bill (however reasonable a loss mitigator it may have been.) Just plain and simple his numbers are gone. He didn’t have a wide margin to begin with, considering his run against tater head Quinn.

I know there are folks here that will never vote for/against “x” issue. We ought to understand this, and work more effectively to get the right candidates on the ticket.

I recall having the discussions at primary time. Everyone said you have to stick with Rauner, he’s the only one that can win. But the the truth is he can’t. There are too many people that won’t vote for him (or anybody.) There are too many people that won’t work for him. And this was apparent before Ives took 48% of the vote.

You can see it in this thread. Molly is here explaining the reality of these bills. The truth hasn’t seemed to impact how people feel about it.

Ugggh.... 72 hour waiting period will improve safety how???

It won't. It had a huge super majority and you can thank all the democrats and the "we must do something" republicans who wanted to ban possession for anyone under 21 and codify a definition of 'assault weapons' into law. This is what came out of all that with enough votes to override a veto.

Ugggh.... 72 hour waiting period will improve safety how???

It won't. It had a huge super majority and you can thank all the democrats and the "we must do something" republicans who wanted to ban possession for anyone under 21 and codify a definition of 'assault weapons' into law. This is what came out of all that with enough votes to override a veto.

So frustrating when those supporting this cant even make an attempt to explain how it helps anything. As Molly said, they just feel a need to do something. Yesterday I did hear one try to make the case of a study that first attempt suicides delayed do not make repeat attempts.

True or not, I don't know and wondered what this study said...why not 30 days...where do they stop. If someone already has a CCL why would anyone be against waiving this although a FOID/CCL is no guarantee one is already owned.

I also heard a claim it gives the ISP more time to do a BG check but there was no logic behind the statement.

I'm surprised somewhat at the outrage and surprise being expressed by many. Did no one read the warnings back before the first black Wednesday about not seeing the environment this bad before and the gun community would not come out unscathed?

And now they are committing to not supporting the only candidate that has kept other more onerous bills from being enacted as well as listen to input from the firearms community.

Rauner should have veto'd the 72 hour waiting period and sent it back to them on principle rather than to cut his losses and protect his re-election effort.

Regardless, I won't be voting for him no matter how bad the other guy is.

Perhaps you should join the Everytown forums or Moms Demand Action. After all that's who you're benefiting. You certainly do nothing but harm us.

Rauner should have veto'd the 72 hour waiting period and sent it back to them on principle rather than to cut his losses and protect his re-election effort.

Jabba Pritzker, Michael Madigan and the Bloomburg anti-gun groups thank you for your support. That is what every "I won't vote for Rauner" is doing...

How many times do people have to be told before it sinks in , these bills were passed with super majorities so if he had vetoed this bill " on principle " they would have over ridden it and most likely put the assault weapon definition and under 21 back in. By signing this bill he stopped that bad stuff.

You can't expect Indiana type laws to come out of Illinois.

Sometimes I wish I were a Democrat in this state. At least they will stick together !!!

So then you want Pritzker as Governor? This helps no one. With Rauner at least we have a chance, with Pritzker all is lost. I wish folks would understand this.

Archived