Waiting on Foid Card

bjjpitbull8

So I sent in my application for a foid card over a month ago. Still have not heard from them.

I was just wondering what exactly they check when they do your backround check. I have never had a felony or any of the things listed on the foid card form. Do they have the ability to look at medical history? I just wondered because I have never been in an institution or anything like that but have seen a shrink for marriage problems. I have been prescribed medications to help with stress and anxiety. This would not cause them to deny me would it. Like I said I volunteerily went to a marriage counselor and shrink to try and work out my problems with my wife and have been prescribed medications to help with anxiety and stress during this time. In no way am I mentally defective and have never committed any type of crime of any sort in my entire life. Do you guys just think it is a delay and I will be ok?

Thank you. Any advice from Law Enforcement would be greatly appreciated or anyone that knows what exactly they have access to. Also they ask if you are addicted to Narcotics. In no way am I addicted to narcotics. I had multiple surgeries and was on what are considered narcotic pain killers while I was rehabbing my injuries but came off of them as soon as I was better. So how do they determine if you are addicted to narcotics without taking a urine sample. I am assuming that they would have to find something in your backround check that you were treated for addiction or arrested with a drug problem which I have not.

Please let me know if you think I am just one of the many dealing with the delays and what exactly they look up about you when you apply. It was my understanding they check your criminal record as well as seeing if you have ever been admitted to a mental health facility which I never have.

Thank you,

BJ

So I sent in my application for a foid card over a month ago. Still have not heard from them.

I was just wondering what exactly they check when they do your backround check. I have never had a felony or any of the things listed on the foid card form. Do they have the ability to look at medical history? I just wondered because I have never been in an institution or anything like that but have seen a shrink for marriage problems. I have been prescribed medications to help with stress and anxiety. This would not cause them to deny me would it. Like I said I volunteerily went to a marriage counselor and shrink to try and work out my problems with my wife and have been prescribed medications to help with anxiety and stress during this time. In no way am I mentally defective and have never committed any type of crime of any sort in my entire life. Do you guys just think it is a delay and I will be ok?

Thank you. Any advice from Law Enforcement would be greatly appreciated or anyone that knows what exactly they have access to. Also they ask if you are addicted to Narcotics. In no way am I addicted to narcotics. I had multiple surgeries and was on what are considered narcotic pain killers while I was rehabbing my injuries but came off of them as soon as I was better.

Please let me know if you think I am just one of the many dealing with the delays and what exactly they look up about you when you apply. It was my understanding they check your criminal record as well as seeing if you have ever been admitted to a mental health facility which I never have.

Thank you,

BJ

My experience is that you call and magically it appears a couple weeks later.

Ok thank you but is the fact that I have seen a shrink going to affect me or the meds for pain I was prescibed while recovering form surgery. Thank you

Call your state senator, ISP is again breaking the law by not issuing in 30 days. Get on their case, Pennsylvania can issue a LTC in 10 days. There is no excuse for their failing to issue.

right now they are running 57 days

I think that the ISRA has documented widespread and perennial delays in FOID card issuance. To my knowledge, there is no statute that penalizes the State Police for these delays (even though the language reads "shall within 30 days" or something like that).

Would there be any use in a bill or amendment that would spell out penalties for lack of timely issuance? In other words, if it cost the state in penalties, they would be inclined to do their job?

Maybe that's not worth as much as planning to eventually dismantle the FOID act ... but just thinking aloud.

Ok thank you but is the fact that I have seen a shrink going to affect me or the meds for pain I was prescibed while recovering form surgery. Thank you

Call your state senator, ISP is again breaking the law by not issuing in 30 days. Get on their case, Pennsylvania can issue a LTC in 10 days. There is no excuse for their failing to issue.

In 04 I applied in late October and got it in mid January. Certainly irritating for someone who has a clean record except for one traffic ticket 20 years ago.

The shrink would have to declare you a danger to yourself or others, in which case you would know it. Pain meds; no.

Yea he is almost more of a friend at this point that likes to help me out with meditating and other ways to deal with stress and tension which can cause me migraines. In no way would he ever write that about me. I have trouble sleeping and am prone to stress which can lead to high blood pressure but nothing I cannot handle. In no way has he ever seen me as a danger he is just there to help me with issues that are almost more physical and also at preventing migraines and tension headaches as well as blood pressure which can be caused from too much stress.

I said pain meds because I know they ask if you are addicted to narcotics and I wondered how they know that. Is it something that they see by doing a backround check and you have a history with narcotics or what. I was worried they would say "he was on pain meds for a few months he is addicted to narcotics which I am in no way and stopped them as soon as my pain was bearable.

I guess I am just worried because I know they will do anything to deny you. Unless they do not have access to records like your medical files and such.

Anytime that it has been more than 30 calendar days since they have cashed your check, call your State Senator and State Representative. Don't bother calling the ISP number, you'll just get the run around.

Call your Senator and Representatives office TOMORROW! Don't go into detail about your medical history. And, if you've not been convicted of a felony or domestic violence, there's no reason to go there either. Just tell them that it's been longer than it should be. There is no excuse for taking longer than 30 calendar days.

AB

• 2 weeks later...

I have 6 months till mine expires...when should I send off to get it renewed?

I believe I got a renewal notice in the mail. I didnt send mine in right when I got it, though I should have. When I did send in the renewal i think it took 3-4 weeks for me to get it back. I almost waited to long as my new card came the day before my other expired.

I believe I got a renewal notice in the mail. I didnt send mine in right when I got it, though I should have. When I did send in the renewal i think it took 3-4 weeks for me to get it back. I almost waited to long as my new card came the day before my other expired.

Per the FOID act itself, the ISP is to notify you 60 days prior to expiration. Also according to the FOID act, they have 30 days from receipt of your renewal to get the new one out to you.

I would suggest getting your FOID out right now and checking the exp date. Make a mental note, put it on your Outlook calendar, set your laptop or handheld to notify you 60 days before that date. If you don't have a renewal notice within a week after that date, get a form from the ISP website and get the renewal sent in. Pay someone else to do it if that's what it takes to get it done, but ask to mail it yourself when they're done filling it out. That way you know it's mailed and you can mail it certified mail receipt requested. You'll be notified when it's delivered to the ISP. If you don't have your new card on the 31st day after THAT date, call your Senator.

If we gotta have the dam*** thing, they need to play by their rules.

AB

Per the FOID act itself, the ISP is to notify you 60 days prior to expiration. Also according to the FOID act, they have 30 days from receipt of your renewal to get the new one out to you.

I would suggest getting your FOID out right now and checking the exp date. Make a mental note, put it on your Outlook calendar, set your laptop or handheld to notify you 60 days before that date. If you don't have a renewal notice within a week after that date, get a form from the ISP website and get the renewal sent in. Pay someone else to do it if that's what it takes to get it done, but ask to mail it yourself when they're done filling it out. That way you know it's mailed and you can mail it certified mail receipt requested. You'll be notified when it's delivered to the ISP. If you don't have your new card on the 31st day after THAT date, call your Senator.

If we gotta have the dam*** thing, they need to play by their rules.

AB

Thanks for the info...I'll do it right now...and let all know of the outcome this year...

So I emailed a woman at the ISP and she responded saying the delay was due to lack of staff. She said my application has been processed and I will receive my card in 7 to 10 days. Does this mean I am approved?

Probably. That old "lack of staff" crap is getting old. If that's so, why do some get turned around in 15 days and some take a phone call by Todd to get them done after 60 days?? If you don't have it one week from the date of that e-mail, e-mail her again and call your state senator!

AB

So I emailed a woman at the ISP and she responded saying the delay was due to lack of staff. She said my application has been processed and I will receive my card in 7 to 10 days. Does this mean I am approved?

Probably. That old "lack of staff" crap is getting old. If that's so, why do some get turned around in 15 days and some take a phone call by Todd to get them done after 60 days?? If you don't have it one week from the date of that e-mail, e-mail her again and call your state senator!

AB

I agree but I don't think she would say you will be receiving your card in 7-10 days if I wasn't getting it.

How do you guys feel about ordering guns online? I want to get a Para Ordnance 18.9 and its about 400 cheaper on websites than in the store I go to.

[quote name=

How do you guys feel about ordering guns online? I want to get a Para Ordnance 18.9 and its about 400 cheaper on websites than in the store I go to.

I understand that everyone wnats the best deal possible. And if you can save a chunk of change on a gun it's hard to walk away from. But I shop the local gun stores when ever I can for stuff becuase they are the guys that support us.

We don't get squat from Dick's, Walmart, or other big chains. But Chucks, R-guns, GAT, Midwest, Mega sports all help the cuase. That's whay I won' t buy a gun from one of the big chains unless they are just giving it away.

use to be that an FFL was $30. Everybody had one and guys would order guns at dealer cost then charge $20 to all their buddies. It does their buddies some good, but it really doesn't help the movement as most of them don't lift a finger.

Kenny is a guy who is splitting the differance. he helps out a great deal with the movement, and is trying to run a small business. I would hope that someday he has a shop like Mega Sports up in his area

[quote name=

I understand that everyone wnats the best deal possible. And if you can save a chunk of change on a gun it's hard to walk away from. But I shop the local gun stores when ever I can for stuff becuase they are the guys that support us.

We don't get squat from Dick's, Walmart, or other big chains. But Chucks, R-guns, GAT, Midwest, Mega sports all help the cuase. That's whay I won' t buy a gun from one of the big chains unless they are just giving it away.

use to be that an FFL was $30. Everybody had one and guys would order guns at dealer cost then charge $20 to all their buddies. It does their buddies some good, but it really doesn't help the movement as most of them don't lift a finger.

Kenny is a guy who is splitting the differance. he helps out a great deal with the movement, and is trying to run a small business. I would hope that someday he has a shop like Mega Sports up in his area

I'm talking about small online shops like buds guns and impactguns

38 days. Not so bad.

Eight days longer than allowed by law. If you're 8 days late on a loan payment final deadline, you'll get a call. If you're 8 over in some municipalities, you'll get a ticket. The ISP are to uphold the law, the least they can do is follow it.

JMHO, you might be able to sense that I don't care for the FOID card.

AB

38 days. Not so bad.

Eight days longer than allowed by law. If you're 8 days late on a loan payment final deadline, you'll get a call. If you're 8 over in some municipalities, you'll get a ticket. The ISP are to uphold the law, the least they can do is follow it.

JMHO, you might be able to sense that I don't care for the FOID card.

AB

I am with you there. I am used to Arizona going in with my license a quick ncis check and i take my toy home. this is a joke. worrying if some shrink you saw for marriage counseling could effect you getting a card is just a joke. its not a right if they can basically turn down someone who would be able to bear anywhere else. thats a violation of our rights i think. also i agree if you were a day late on your fine for a ticked on the tollway it goes from 1.00 to 65. No exceptions. follow your own strict bs if you're going to enforce time constraints on everyone else.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived