FFL's moving/closing as a result of the new dealer licencing act- MEGA THREAD

Patriots & Tyrants

I was thinking that the list of towns mentioned in this thread that are experiencing small shop closures would be a valid Geography category for an Illinois Jeopardy game. If you can say within 50 miles where any of them are in this State? You win a prize. So says this city-clicker mope anyway.

Edited by RandyP

When all the FFL's close, there will be zero legal way for Illinois residents to get a gun. You need a FFL to transfer the gun from out of state. This law violates the second Amendment.

This law should be challenged in court based on its impact - FFL's closing.

When LWW's scream about anti-abortion laws closing abortuaries and causing them to close, these same LWW's are Sergeant Shultz ("I see nothing!") about FFL's closing.

Edited by BobPistol

"When all the FFL's close, there will be zero legal way for Illinois residents to get a gun. "

That IS technically true, but it also presumes that all the large gun shoppes and big box stores that already comply with the new laws, or will soon, will suddenly decide they hate getting all that new business and close shop too?

Anything possible, but not everything is probable. A decade or so ago I'd have staked everything I owned that in my lifetime Illinois would never allow concealed carry to exist. It only took 4 years for the courts to intervene and prove me wrong.

Edited by RandyP

When all the FFL's close, there will be zero legal way for Illinois residents to get a gun. You need a FFL to transfer the gun from out of state. This law violates the second Amendment.

When LWW's scream about anti-abortion laws closing abortuaries and causing them to close, these same LWW's are Sergeant Shultz ("I see nothing!") about FFL's closing.

IMO a better avenue of attack will be this disenfranchises rural gun owners by removing their ability to easily access an FFL; similar to how closing down voting locations in rural areas or predominantly X or Y areas has been ruled unconstituional before.

I wonder out loud of any of the 'franchise' type gun shops like Point Blank will seize the opportunity to establish strategically placed 'rural' stores around the State?

I freely admit that I don't know enough about demographics and required market share to determine if such an idea is financially sound.

G M Bartelmay Guns

911 W Jefferson St

Morton IL 61550

Permanently Closed

They have been there for a long time.

Edited by spec5

Does anyone see an underhanded motive for cronies to profit from driving small shops and FFL's out of business?

They wanted to close Chucks but they could not legally write a law to just do that. There have been claims of lawsuits to be filed but I suppose thats difficult to do until the actual rules and details are posted and approved.

IMO a better avenue of attack will be this disenfranchises rural gun owners by removing their ability to easily access an FFL; similar to how closing down voting locations in rural areas or predominantly X or Y areas has been ruled unconstituional before.

Isn't there a court case or several right now regarding the onerous licensing and doctor hospital admitting practices that are making it well-nigh impossible for many women to get abortions in several states? I would think that kind of legislated dissuasion would be an exact parallel to this situation, and thus with access to a right being prevented by legislating it out of local availability would be the same for both cases.

In my view, BOTH rights should be left to the individual wishing to exercise them how they feel best, and where they want to go to do so, and the governments both State and Federal, as well as any local units of, should be prevented from passing ANY laws that interfere with that.

When the last drug store or grocery in a Chicago neighborhood closes, and CTA to the nearest store involves a transfer from one bus to another, it's a "desert" situation and generates a lot of hand-wringing media attention. Never mind that the parent company couldn't afford to keep the store open.

We'll have FFL deserts in IL soon.

Does anyone see an underhanded motive for cronies to profit from driving small shops and FFL's out of business?

Yes.

The crony FFL's won't have the new law enforced on them while the law is strictly enforced on non-cronies.

When the competition is out of business the cronies get more money by raising their prices.

When only cronies get enriched, then the law becomes like the state statute against adultery - it simply won't be enforced at all (and the entire regulatory apparatus is just filled with cronies who don't work anyway by then)

This same pattern goes for any regulation or law on the books. They won't enforce it in a way to make cronies' costs go up.

Edited by BobPistol

Yes.

The crony FFL's won't have the new law enforced on them while the law is strictly enforced on non-cronies.

When the competition is out of business the cronies get more money by raising their prices.

When only cronies get enriched, then the law becomes like the state statute against adultery - it simply won't be enforced at all (and the entire regulatory apparatus is just filled with cronies who don't work anyway by then)

This same pattern goes for any regulation or law on the books. They won't enforce it in a way to make cronies' costs go up.

Anyone care to name such a crony FFL?

Far-fetched conspiracy theory: once local FFL's and gun shops are plowed under, the stage is set for Madigan's cronies to own the market with stores they control.

Please share the names of the cronies' stores.

Just a theory, mikew. Once the existing stores and FFL's are shuttered, cronies may be the ones who benefit. What usually follows prohibition, Walmart-style price wars, over-regulation?

Is Madigan so principled he wouldn't make money off of firearms anyway possible?

Far-fetched conspiracy theory: once local FFL's and gun shops are plowed under, the stage is set for Madigan's cronies to own the market with stores they control.

Please share the names of the cronies' stores.

Just a theory, mikew. Once the existing stores and FFL's are shuttered, cronies may be the ones who benefit. What usually follows prohibition, Walmart-style price wars, over-regulation?

Is Madigan so principled he wouldn't make money off of firearms anyway possible?

You are free to entertain and repeat your Far-fetched conspiracy theory.

Edited by mikew
edited several times

Now that I'm 70 I have witnessed the closure of jevery mom-n-pop store of my 'yoot'. I no longer recgnize the store fronts in my neighborhood, and in truth until I choose to learn Spanish I can't even read most of the window signs to be certain what goods they are offering to those who can. Such is the nature of the changing face of America and small business I reckon.

I frequently read on this and other gun forums posts by folks who visit the brick&mortar places to fondle guns and then leave to buy them online elsewhere. Can't exactly help that brick&mortar joint thrive? I'm 'guilty' of doing a LOT of my shopping on Amazon Prime for the cost savings and shopping convenience their Same-1- 2 Day free delivery offers. Most of MY clothes come from that world famous fashion house - Walmart. Same goes for a lot of things around my house.

I expect that many small-town stores of all merchandise across America will fade into history and/or be replaced by others. These new legislative actions DO put a new financial burden on all gun businesses. Those successful enough to bear that burden will continue, those for whom that investment is a make or break situation? Won't.

Edited by RandyP

• 4 weeks later...

I wonder out loud how many small town mom-n-pop shoppes in Illinois - regardless of products sold - have closed over the past 5 years. MY primary frame of reference is that of the many storefronts and strip malls in my neighborhood in a major city (Chicago). In that brief 5 year period I've seen a number of places change operations 2-3 times, some still remain empty.

I suspect many small retail businesses have a tough time surviving in an Online/Amazon/Big Box Store marketplace. Gun emporiums included.

Illinois has been a very unfriendly place for small business for a MIGHTY long time. New legislation has not improved that reality.

Edited by RandyP