Rifling damage

TyGuy

I noticed a few small marks on the rifling near the chamber on my Glock 19. I don't know if this is normal, perhaps copper deposits, etc... I also don't know if it affects the accuracy. It is near the chamber end NOT the muzzle end, so perhaps it's not a big deal. I might get some copper cleaner to see if that does anything.

Perhaps I should posts some pictures?

Should I just shoot it bench rested to check accuracy, not worry about it, change out the barrel, etc...?

Thanks everyone!

If be happy to look at it for a few weeks or months to test that barrel and see how it fits in my Desantis Intruder. Soak, brass brush, soak, brass brush, clean patch and see how it looks. You are shooting jacketed ammo right? Factory Glock barrels arent supposed to be used with lead rounds.

It is not necessarily your fault if it is scratched! I have seen guns come out of the factory with scratches in the chamber walls. One was so bad that after the cartridge was detonated it expanded into the burr and would not extract. Had to use a cleaning jag to get the empty out and polish the chamber wall smooth.

Lol. I am still a probationary member at my club, so O don't have a key yet. My sponsor is in Mexico right now, so I don't know when I'll get to bench it. I wouldn't throw it away for want of a new barrel. Even if the accuracy is worse than it was it's my primaey carry piece not a target pistol.

What size groups should I expect at 50ft or 25yds?

I doubt that it is damage. I really suspect it's as a result of the manufacturing process. Mine appears to be three small 'pimples' that would leave a very distinct marking on any slug recovered.

It is probably an insidious attempt by the factory to make a recovered slug traceable to a specific weapon.

Lol. I am still a probationary member at my club, so O don't have a key yet. My sponsor is in Mexico right now, so I don't know when I'll get to bench it. I wouldn't throw it away for want of a new barrel. Even if the accuracy is worse than it was it's my primaey carry piece not a target pistol.

What size groups should I expect at 50ft or 25yds?

What kind of rest? A ransom rest or sand baggin it? I would say that an average shooter can hold 2"-3" between 7-10yds standing! Ransom rest at 7-10 should be tighter like 1"- 1 1/2". I highly doubt that any imperfections at the breech end are gonn cause any bullets to be thrown! are the marks in the chamber or actually on the rifling? If they are in the chamber then no accurace will be lost. If they are right at the start of the lands and grooves, at detonation that bullet will be pushed right past them before the lands even grab the bullet. Got any pics?

edit: btw the only way you could be responsible for the scratches is if you jammed some kind of steel in there. no way brass or copper or lead can scratch that barrel. probably a tough 4140 steel, that crap is even hard to machine!

I tried to get pics, but it didn't work so well. Let me check them again.

Ok... Here is what happened. I use bore snakes all ofthe time wi no problem. Well, I got distracted and used a 45acp bore snake in my G19 (9mm). It got stuck in the barrel. I saw the brush sticking out of the muzzle, so I figured it would be fine to just pull it backwards. I forgot that bore snakes have two sets of brushes. So, I pulled it backwards, reversing the brushes in the barrel.. Cest la vie. Lessoned learned.

Just shoot the heck out of it~!! You didn't ruin it with a bore snake!! The brushes in the snakes are bronze. The "scratches" you see are probably just residue of the brush itself, not a physical scratch in the barrel steel. Run a couple thousand rounds of jacketed stuff through it (as has been noted, the Glock's funky rifling is said to be not compatible with lead bullets, truth or internet legend?) and it'll probably smooth right out. If not, at least you'll have fun!! You'll just have to choose a different tool to shoot those 300 yard groundhogs!!

AB

From that angle, it looks like it might be......a boy

Have you checked the fetal heartbeat yet?

Funny you mention that...as my wife is about 8 weeks along with our second. She is hoping that we'll have more of a revolver sized family, but I'm ok with an over under sized one.

As long as we are NOT XD sized we'll be ok. My friend shoots one. 19 rounds in a handgun? Really?

From that angle, it looks like it might be......a boy

Have you checked the fetal heartbeat yet?

Funny you mention that...as my wife is about 8 weeks along with our second. She is hoping that we'll have more of a revolver sized family, but I'm ok with an over under sized one.

As long as we are NOT XD sized we'll be ok. My friend shoots one. 19 rounds in a handgun? Really?

An XD with 19 mags? Or 18+1? My XD9 has 16 round mags. More importantly, congratulations on the new addition to the family. May ya'll have the best 9 months possible. Note: Make sure you check the transmission fluid in your vehicle before the trip to the hospital. Just trust me on this, it's a long story. ;)

Archived