Photo

Johnson vs ISP - IL Supreme Court Rules 7-0 Win for Johnson

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Molly B.

IllinoisCarry spokesperson

• 16,647 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 12:37 PM

Judge Dunn, circuit judge in Wabash County has ruled in favor of our plaintiff in Johnson vs ISP.  This case challenges the lifetime ban on firearm possession for individuals prohibited for misdemeanor domestic battery convictions under the federal Lautenberg Act.  It is similar to the Corum case which won in IL Supreme Court a few years ago but a new challenge was needed after IL changed IL law right after the Corum ruling.

The Judge Dunn's ruling is attached. If appealed this case will advance to the IL Supreme Court because of the constitutional challenge. (This copy is not signed but will be once we get a copy of the ruling filed with the clerk.)

Attached File  ORDER Regarding Second Amendment As Applied Challenge (Shawna Johnson v. ISP, Wabash CO. No. 2013-MR-15)(FINAL DRAFT - SEPT 29 2018 at 11 PM).pdf   379.95KB   408 downloads

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." --Samuel Adams

#2 pro2a

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 01:53 PM

Her “as applied” challenge is not only “ripe,” but, this court holds, it should bear
fruit as her request to have her FOID Card reinstated must be granted.

#3 speedbump

• Members
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 05:43 AM

Good for Shawna! It looks like she had half the L.E. in Wabash County speak in her favor.
"The struggle may be a moral one, or it may be a physical one, or it may be both. But it must be a struggle. Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will."

~Frederick Douglass~

#4 Flynn

• Members
  • 2,518 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 01:08 AM

Any updates on if this was actually appealed to the IL Supreme Court or any status updates at all?

Anonymous leakers, leak anonymously about the anonymous leak.

—Anonymous

#5 pro2a

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 07:52 AM

This was appealed to Illinois supreme court. We are in the early stages hoping for a ruling by fall.

#6 Flynn

• Members
  • 2,518 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 11:39 AM

This was appealed to Illinois supreme court. We are in the early stages hoping for a ruling by fall.

Thank you much for the update.

—Anonymous

#7 Molly B.

• 16,647 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 02:16 PM

Oral arguments have been scheduled for Tuesday, Nov. 19th.

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." --Samuel Adams

#8 pro2a

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 05:32 PM

You're quick Mollyb! She was getting ready to text you!

#9 Molly B.

• 16,647 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 10:43 AM

IMG_20191119_104111552.jpg

Arguments to begin shortly!

#10 RacerDave6

• Supporting Members Team
  • 3,497 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 02:24 PM

I see there's a good 2A lawyer up there today.
Firearms are not a talisman against evil. When used properly, they are an antidote to evil. T.Dunn

"Shoot the bad guy and keep shooting him until he stops doing whatever it
was that got him shot in the first place."

Match Director-IDPA at ASC
United States Riflemans Asscn instructor
NRA Certified instructor
NRA & ISRA member
Illinois Firearm Concealed Carry License instructor

#11 speedbump

• Members
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 03:14 PM

Go, Shawna!
"The struggle may be a moral one, or it may be a physical one, or it may be both. But it must be a struggle. Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will."

~Frederick Douglass~

#12 THE KING

• Members
  • 2,828 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 03:24 PM

Can someone let us know what is going on.

NRA Patriot Life Member - Endowment
ISRA Member
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
ISP Certified Illinois Conceal Carry Instructor
Retired Professional Firefighter / Paramedic

#13 Molly B.

• 16,647 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 03:36 PM

https://multimedia.i...1919_124213.mp4

Video of oral arguments more posted.

#14 Molly B.

• 16,647 posts

Posted 24 January 2020 - 09:28 AM

After six long years in the court system - IL Supreme Court rules in favor of Shawna Johnson!!  7-0

For the foregoing reasons, we hold that, under section 10 of the FOID Card Act, granting Johnson relief would not be contrary to federal law. 430 ILCS 65/10©(4) (West 2012). Accordingly, we affirm the judgment of the circuit court directing the issuance of a FOID card to Johnson. Based on our holding, there is no need to address the constitutional basis for the trial court’s ruling. Accordingly, we vacate the circuit court’s holding that section 922(g)(9) and the provisions of the FOID Card Act (id. §§ 8(n), 10( :cool:, 10©(4)), along with the relevant provisions of the Illinois Administrative Code, are unconstitutional as applied to Johnson.
¶ 52
Affirmed in part and vacated in part.

Attached File  IL Supreme Court ruling Johnson v ISP.pdf   81.72KB   98 downloads

#15 Molly B.

• 16,647 posts

Posted 24 January 2020 - 09:59 AM

Page 9, para 30 - this is a huge step for IL Supreme Court:  We find that (1) the right to keep and bear arms is a “civil right,” (2) Illinois has a regulatory mechanism to restore those rights through an individualized determination, and (3) relief granted under section 10 of the FOID Card Act constitutes a sufficient restoration of civil rights as intended by section 921(a)(33)( b(ii).

This could affect many, many denials based on "issuing a FOID card would be contrary to federal law".

#16 steveTA84

• 6,582 posts

Posted 24 January 2020 - 10:33 AM

I see this as the groundwork to start possibly flooding the ISP with lawsuits

#17 pro2a

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 January 2020 - 10:44 AM

Long time coming indeed! This is what can happen when people step up and fight for their rights!

#18 Molly B.

• 16,647 posts

Posted 24 January 2020 - 11:59 AM

I see this as the groundwork to start possibly flooding the ISP with lawsuits

It is definitely groundwork for petitioning courts for FOID cards that have been denied or revoked and CCLs that have been denied because of decades old cases turning up in background checks.

#19 Penumbra1811

• Pip
  • 79 posts

Posted 24 January 2020 - 01:05 PM

This is great I believe it's going to help many people especially me when I go to court next month.

#20 cybermgk

• 2,303 posts

Posted 24 January 2020 - 02:05 PM

Page 9, para 30 - this is a huge step for IL Supreme Court:  We find that (1) the right to keep and bear arms is a “civil right,” (2) Illinois has a regulatory mechanism to restore those rights through an individualized determination, and (3) relief granted under section 10 of the FOID Card Act constitutes a sufficient restoration of civil rights as intended by section 921(a)(33)( b(ii).

This could affect many, many denials based on "issuing a FOID card would be contrary to federal law".

Yes, but civil rights, as opposed to inalienable rights, can be restricted via code and law.  Not sure, I like that finding

ISRA Member

NRA Member

U.S.A.F Veteran

Single Father of 2

#21 chislinger

• Members
  • 6,789 posts

Posted 24 January 2020 - 08:04 PM

Yes, but civil rights, as opposed to inalienable rights, can be restricted via code and law.  Not sure, I like that finding

They are the same. Life is an inalienable right, but under law you can be executed for certain crimes.
"I'm not worried about following the U.S. Constitution." - Washington County, Alabama Judge Nick Williams

#22 Patriots & Tyrants

• 4,584 posts

Posted 26 January 2020 - 06:59 PM

Wonder if the state appeals to the SCOTUS 

#23 Flynn

• Members
  • 2,518 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 04:00 PM

Molly as I have said in the past I know someone with a near identical situation (charged domestic & plead simple and lost rights) that has been waiting for this case to resolve so they could hopefully restore their rights as well, how would they proceed now that this ruling has come down?

I'm guessing just re-apply for FOID first and see what happens?

—Anonymous

#24 Molly B.

• 16,647 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 04:54 PM

I would suggest waiting just a bit, the state has 34 days to decide if they want to appeal. In the meantime, have them check their status on the ISP website. If it says revoked or denied, they cannot reapply, they would need to appeal in the circuit court in the county where they live.  I am going to assume they would need the same notarized statements required by other people who have to appeal in court.  We might be able to find a template for the petition they would need to file with the court.

#25 John Q Public

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 06:31 PM

If?

#26 Molly B.

• 16,647 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 08:50 AM

I don't think they will appeal based on the fact of the unanimous ruling.  They would have little expectation of winning in a higher court that is favorably balanced to our side.  I could be wrong but that's my opinion.

#27 speedbump

• Members
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 10:16 PM

I don't think they will appeal based on the fact of the unanimous ruling.  They would have little expectation of winning in a higher court that is favorably balanced to our side.  I could be wrong but that's my opinion.

Agreed. And it is stunning to behold.

~Frederick Douglass~

#28 ChicagoRonin70

The Landlord of the Flies!

• 4,323 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 02:09 PM

Figuratively, the ISP has been taken out to the woods, made to duckwalk without pants, while the plaintiff walked behind them wearing wingtip shoes and imitating an NFL kicker booting a 65-yard field goal.

That would be the objective, scientific description of how to characterize this win.

"A well educated Media, being necessary for the preservation of free speech, the right of the people to keep and read books, shall not be infringed."

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary for the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

Who gets to keep and read books? The Media? Or is it the People?
 One can never underestimate the idiocy of those determined to be offended by things that don't affect their real lives in the slightest. Me Hatred is the sharpest sword; the desire for peace is armor made of willow leaves in the face of an enemy who despises you, as neither alone will stop a strike that is aimed at your neck. Samurai proverb An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. Robert Heinlein I reserve the right to take any action necessary to maintain the equilibrium in which I've chosen to exist. Me "It ain't braggin' if you done it." Will Rogers <p> InX89li.jpg     

#29 speedbump

• Members
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 02:37 PM

Figuratively, the ISP has been taken out to the woods, made to duckwalk without pants, while the plaintiff walked behind them wearing wingtip shoes and imitating an NFL kicker booting a 65-yard field goal.

That would be the objective, scientific description of how to characterize this win.

Attached Thumbnails

• 160311757_1459509312.jpg

~Frederick Douglass~

#30 mab22

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 03:53 PM

Was there an organization behind this or did she do it herself?
Void the FOID!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users