Gun store says I need a hard case to pick up a gun.

max503

I think it's a misinterpretation, or overly cautious application, of 18 U.S.C. § 922( q )( 2 )( A ), which prohibits firearm possession within 1,000' of a school.

There are exceptions to the prohibition, one of them being that the firearm be unloaded and in a locked case. Another is that the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to possess it and that the licensing procedure verifies that the person is qualified to possess it. A FOID card is usually taken to be such a license.

But Rilo is right - if they won't give it to you you'll need to come up with something. I don't see why a locked guitar case wouldn't work but that's up to the gun store to decide. The code doesn't say what kind of case.

What's the name of the store?

It's a Rural King.

I bought a pistol from then once from their RK Guns site. The sale price was too good to pass up. They called 3 or 4 days later to tell me the gun had been received in the Mattoon store. It was another couple of days before I could get over there to pick it up. That store is about an hour from me. I took the receipt and drove over there to fill out the 4473. It was approved right away, but they wouldn't let me take the gun. They tole me the 72 hour wait started when they got the approval back. I politely showed the guy at the gun counter my dated receipt and told him, according to the statute, the 72 hours starts when the agreement to purchase (in this case, the actual exchange of funds) is made. He said everyone else I deal with is wrong and wouldn't give me the pistol. I had to make another trip. That was my first and last firearm purchase from them.

I get to the Vandalia store once in a while. The next time I'm there, I think I'll ask at their gun counter what the policy is.

Long story longer, RK has their policies and you have to abide by them if you want to do business there.

ATF spells things out pretty well in their Gun Free School Zone Notice. The first column of the last page provides the answer under General Information.

Thanks. The very end of that column states the store's adopted policy.

You have a friend you can borrow one from, or are they just trying to sell you a case?

No one close by. I'm still trying to find one I can borrow. Otherwise the store has them for under $20.

"Long story longer, RK has their policies and you have to abide by them if you want to do business there."

In this day and age they seem to be one of the most gun-friendly stores still selling guns. I'll give them my business, and hope they stay in business even if it costs me a few extra bucks. But I don't like it. I just hope things don't get any worse.

ATF spells things out pretty well in their Gun Free School Zone Notice. The first column of the last page provides the answer under General Information.

Not really, though. ATF's advice in the last paragraph is for FFLs in states that do not require a permit.

Does Rural King have locations in other states? It might be that they adopted a single corporate procedure across all locations to keep things simple.

Tell them you’ll buy a case from them, find the cheapest one they have in stock, or maybe grab the most expensive one.

Be sure to put it on your charge card (Visa) and keep the receipt.

Take it home, return the very next day, not next week or next month, the very next day and return it!

Reason.....really don’t need it to store my rifle at home so this wasn’t a good purchase.

Get refund.....walk out smiling.....end of problem.

Not the first time Ive read of the hard case near a school requirement from a RK store. Not sure if all but certainly a policy at multiple ones across states.

Can you return cases there? Why wait a day? Buy the case, take gun to vehicle, remove from case and put back in cardboard, return case for a refund.

Not the first time Ive read of the hard case near a school requirement from a RK store. Not sure if all but certainly a policy at multiple ones across states.

Can you return cases there? Why wait a day? Buy the case, take gun to vehicle, remove from case and put back in cardboard, return case for a refund.

Why didn't I think of that? :flowers:

Not really, though. ATF's advice in the last paragraph is for FFLs in states that do not require a permit.

Does Rural King have locations in other states? It might be that they adopted a single corporate procedure across all locations to keep things simple.

Yes, we have a Rural King in Crossville, Tennessee.

No such issue. Cash and carry ain't life merry.

I also bought a gun at an Illinois Rural King several years ago.

Even though I was already carrying, they still had to walk me to the door. Ok, whatever.

max503 - do you happen to know if that was a "corporate" store or a "franchisee" store?

I ask as there are two that I know of in this area and the ads are different. The one just north of Belleville is a franchisee store and their ad is on white paper and has the addresses of 5 or 6 stores listed on the back page. The one on the west side of Collinsville (near I-255) is a corporate store. Their ads are on a light gray paper with NO stores addresses listed. The ads are never exactly the same but frequently have many of the same items on sale at the same time.

Tell them you’ll buy a case from them, find the cheapest one they have in stock, or maybe grab the most expensive one.

Be sure to put it on your charge card (Visa) and keep the receipt.

Take it home, return the very next day, not next week or next month, the very next day and return it!

Reason.....really don’t need it to store my rifle at home so this wasn’t a good purchase.

Get refund.....walk out smiling.....end of problem.

Unless they have a "restocking fee" or no return policy, I have seen that before.

One of the requirements for the CCL class was a "holster" and X amount of ammunition,so I buy holster, never needed it for the class , return was store credit and 20% restocking fee. And I think we only fired the 21 rounds required for qualification so I over bought ammo.

Archived