Board review?!

The board had posted a comment on my application to respond to the objection. The displayed my two arrests for UUW, (1997 and 1999). 1997 is a misdemeanor and 1999 was dismissed. They also, were saying that I pose a threat due to my past gang affiliation. They stated that there was a report that I was a member of a highly profiled street gang, (I won't disclose which one). I was never a member of this street gang, I was actually in a rival gang. Nothing to be proud of. I let them know about why lifestyle changes such as no longer being affiliated with my former social environment and never being arrested for any act of violence nor having been arrested in over 10 years. I have asked that they grant me the privilege because I'm am an advocate for the safety of the public. What are the odds of me receiving the permit after all of this and how long would they take to respond?

The board had posted a comment on my application to respond to the objection. The displayed my two arrests for UUW, (1997 and 1999). 1997 is a misdemeanor and 1999 was dismissed. They also, were saying that I pose a threat due to my past gang affiliation. They stated that there was a report that I was a member of a highly profiled street gang, (I won't disclose which one). I was never a member of this street gang, I was actually in a rival gang. Nothing to be proud of. I let them know about why lifestyle changes such as no longer being affiliated with my former social environment and never being arrested for any act of violence nor having been arrested in over 10 years. I have asked that they grant me the privilege because I'm am an advocate for the safety of the public. What are the odds of me receiving the permit after all of this and how long would they take to respond?

I would say the odds are in your favor with a clean record for 10 years. Usually a response is received within 30 days after submitting your response.

I've received a written letter on 3/10/2017 from the board stating that there are some arrests that the Chicago Police Department notified them about. The board is requesting more information, for they only have the dates and no further information. It is highly suspect that the CPD is only able to supply dates and no further information. I think it is totally unfair that I would have to provide evidence as to to the what the CPD half assed information they would provide for an objection on my application. That should be their job is to provide substantial evidence that even remotely deems me as a threat to the public. They are concerned about a DUI I had in 2004 and a possession of cannabis in 2003? Plus two other arrests that are non-violent that happened over 10 years ago? Ridiculous and corrupt as it sounds, I guess I may have to take this as a loss and keep saying that the ones that pose a threat are the ones with all the power to use another individual as a martyr or scapegoat.

I've received a written letter on 3/10/2017 from the board stating that there are some arrests that the Chicago Police Department notified them about. The board is requesting more information, for they only have the dates and no further information. It is highly suspect that the CPD is only able to supply dates and no further information. I think it is totally unfair that I would have to provide evidence as to to the what the CPD half assed information they would provide for an objection on my application. That should be their job is to provide substantial evidence that even remotely deems me as a threat to the public.

I could be wrong, but I thought the complaining agency had 10 days to respond to the board upon request, but there is no penalty for them not doing so.

I've received a written letter on 3/10/2017 from the board stating that there are some arrests that the Chicago Police Department notified them about. The board is requesting more information, for they only have the dates and no further information. It is highly suspect that the CPD is only able to supply dates and no further information. I think it is totally unfair that I would have to provide evidence as to to the what the CPD half assed information they would provide for an objection on my application. That should be their job is to provide substantial evidence that even remotely deems me as a threat to the public. They are concerned about a DUI I had in 2004 and a possession of cannabis in 2003? Plus two other arrests that are non-violent that happened over 10 years ago? Ridiculous and corrupt as it sounds, I guess I may have to take this as a loss and keep saying that the ones that pose a threat are the ones with all the power to use another individual as a martyr or scapegoat.

What they are wanting is your side of the story regarding these incidents. Submitting court documents showing charges were dismissed is good, Mentioning you have had a clean record since the last incident and emphasizing how old these arrests are is also helpful. This is supposed to be a statement on your own behalf, your opportunity to show you are not a danger to yourself or others.

p.s. Be sure to have everything ready to submit at the same time because once you hit the 'submit' button the response portal will close.

I responded with a hand written letter on Friday. If they believe that I'm still an active gang member, then I have no prayer left. Do they want a termination letter from the gang or hospital records of an initiation out? The CPD really did their job on this one! Thanks for your insight Molly B., at least you can see the good in us in this struggle.

• 2 weeks later...

I did the inspect element thing and it says approved, I'm so happy! I have regretted a lot of things that I have done in my past, it's been a while since I got something that I really wanted. These forums provided me with positive support, thank you everyone.

Hi Maladina,

I have been following this, and just wanted to say Congratulations!! :clap:

-andersenjames

• 3 weeks later...

Today is 8 months, a relative works for the courthouse of crook county and I have had my background ran a dozen times ,Still shows nothing I am told , but they say there was a rejection, I don't get it, what do they see that someone with full access to a personal background check cant see ? I don't not get it. :no:

The court house would have records of court cases/convictions. They may not have access to arrests or police reports that did not result in court action

Possible you might appear in a police report that did not result in a court case.

Today is 8 months, a relative works for the courthouse of crook county and I have had my background ran a dozen times ,Still shows nothing I am told , but they say there was a rejection, I don't get it, what do they see that someone with full access to a personal background check cant see ? I don't not get it. :no:

I think dart is going by name only, no other identifiers. Have your friend run you by name only.

• 2 weeks later...

Applied Oct 20 2015

Went under board review Nov 22 2015

I been waiting since, it's been 17 months already and still keep getting the additional 30 days letters, don't even know what my objection is, this is ridiculous, this is taking forever, this process should even take this long, don't know what to do at this point, any advice???

Applied Oct 20 2015

Went under board review Nov 22 2015

I been waiting since, it's been 17 months already and still keep getting the additional 30 days letters, don't even know what my objection is, this is ridiculous, this is taking forever, this process should even take this long, don't know what to do at this point, any advice???

All you can do is wait.

I have waited for about 18 months from submission of application until I have actually received it in hand. I was logging on everyday for about the first 3 months, then gave up for about another 3 months until I e-mailed the ISP website. They said it's up to the board. So,I just waited until I got the pop up in March of this year. A written letter came later the same week. I responded to both and waited about 3 weeks. Then, I finally received it. The wait is no longer an issue once you receive it. Flakojr1987 you should receive your pop up and letter soon.

Archived