Carrying with an expired CCL and have applied for renewal

HDUC10

As the law states, if your current CCL expires and you have applied for renewal and remain eligible, your CCL remains valid. On the surface I am not comfortable carrying with a CCL card that is past the expiration date. Any thoughts what LEO does, if for what ever reason, LEO wants to see your CCL card? Does LEO "run" your license for validity like they would for your DL? Or are you on your way to the "station", carrying with an expired card in your pocket, to be sorted out later?

I plan to print and carry a screenshot of the webpage that shows I submitted my renewal. I’ve had 0 interaction with the police in nearly 5 years of carrying. I don’t expect an onslaught of police asking to see my license if it takes a few weeks after the expiration date to get a new one.

I also expire Feb 28. Plan to submit my renewal next week. Everything is loaded in the system. I just need to pay to submit it. I hate this state and will hate it more with JB.

Law enforcement is able to run your CCL and see when it expires, they can't tell when u reapplied for it Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

If the "systems" in place to validate CCLs by LEO are rock solid I would see no reason not to renew shortly before your expiration date. Then carry with your expired card. When you get your new card you'll have bonus days since a new expiration date is assigned!

Law enforcement is able to run your CCL and see when it expires, they can't tell when u reapplied for it Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

If the "systems" in place to validate CCLs by LEO are rock solid I would see no reason not to renew shortly before your expiration date. Then carry with your expired card. When you get your new card you'll have bonus days since a new expiration date is assigned!

The issue is they cannot tell when you applied for the renewal or even if you applied for renewal, so I would do what DomG mentioned above. Take a screenshot of your final page/receipt when you do apply. It really should not be an issue, but it could be if you have to prove you reapplied for the thing.

The issue is they cannot tell when you applied for the renewal or even if you applied for renewal, so I would do what DomG mentioned above. Take a screenshot of your final page/receipt when you do apply. It really should not be an issue, but it could be if you have to prove you reapplied for the thing.

Okay, if LEO cannot tell if you renewed while carrying with an expired card, I would have doubts a printed screen shot of your applied for renewal is going to prove your card in hand is valid. I would hope in reality this is a situation that never comes up and probably rarely does. I have renewed early as I don't think it'd be wise to be carrying with an expired card.

I plan to print and carry a screenshot of the webpage that shows I submitted my renewal. I’ve had 0 interaction with the police in nearly 5 years of carrying. I don’t expect an onslaught of police asking to see my license if it takes a few weeks after the expiration date to get a new one.

I also expire Feb 28. Plan to submit my renewal next week. Everything is loaded in the system. I just need to pay to submit it. I hate this state and will hate it more with JB.

That is the best way to do it. If there is any object you will prove that you applied for renewal and law is on your side.

This makes sense previously, but it seems like it could be changed now that renewals have started. If my view of my account shows "Under Review", why shouldn't the LEO be able to see that? Until now there was no reason them to see you had applied. Without that first CCL you could not carry; "under review" meant nothing in regard to carrying. Now "under review" can indicate that you have applied for renewal, if you have your old card in hand. A brand new applicant would not have an expired CCL.

Of course this would require the bureaucracy to modify the program.

This makes sense previously, but it seems like it could be changed now that renewals have started. If my view of my account shows "Under Review", why shouldn't the LEO be able to see that? Until now there was no reason them to see you had applied. Without that first CCL you could not carry; "under review" meant nothing in regard to carrying. Now "under review" can indicate that you have applied for renewal, if you have your old card in hand. A brand new applicant would not have an expired CCL.

Exactly right. I never did say it makes sense LOL.... Officers on the road and the dispatchers can run your CCL through LEADS (Law Enforcement Agency Data System). That system does not show "Under Review" or "Applied" or anything like that. It just shows if it's valid or not.

Exactly right. I never did say it makes sense LOL.... Officers on the road and the dispatchers can run your CCL through LEADS (Law Enforcement Agency Data System). That system does not show "Under Review" or "Applied" or anything like that. It just shows if it's valid or not.

If LEADS shows the license as "valid", which it should remain "valid" after expiration and renewal applied for, then all would be good. LEO doesn't need to know any additional details to the process.

If LEADS shows the license as "valid", which it should remain "valid" after expiration and renewal applied for, then all would be good. LEO doesn't need to know any additional details to the process.

Yea, "IF" it shows valid after you applied.... but just because it's the law don't assume the state's computer system is that robust. I doubt it is.

It seems they are all over the map with renewal times (per the renewal thread.) Hopefully they are "on the ball" and get these done quickly. I'm at ~50 days and still showing "Review" status. Even though it is legal to carry with your expired card (having applied for a renewed one), I don't expect all police officers to know that or to even be able to check. Some may "arrest now and let the courts sort them out"...

It seems they are all over the map with renewal times (per the renewal thread.) Hopefully they are "on the ball" and get these done quickly. I'm at ~50 days and still showing "Review" status. Even though it is legal to carry with your expired card (having applied for a renewed one), I don't expect all police officers to know that or to even be able to check. Some may "arrest now and let the courts sort them out"...

I am very near 60 calendar days since renewing have prints on file from original CCL , i thought I had plenty of leeway but at this point i am wondering.

I am very near 60 calendar days since renewing have prints on file from original CCL , i thought I had plenty of leeway but at this point i am wondering.

I am near 45 days for my renewal, still "Submitted -> Under Review". Misery loves company. I agree with Xwing's comment. I'd rather not have an expired card in my pocket.

Is there a number of days that this renewal review/card-in-hand is supposed to take? Wasn't there something for the initial application that said something like 90 days without prints, 60 with?

The renewal letter states 90 days with prints, 120 without prints. But there have been many that report their renewals are processed in a few weeks. But others, like myself, not the case. Just puzzling how some are processed so quickly ...

Is there a number of days that this renewal review/card-in-hand is supposed to take? Wasn't there something for the initial application that said something like 90 days without prints, 60 with?

The renewal letter states 90 days with prints, 120 without prints. But there have been many that report their renewals are processed in a few weeks. But others, like myself, not the case. Just puzzling how some are processed so quickly ...

Thanks man - now that you mentioned it, I found my letter and confirmed. Well I re-submitted on 14Jan and expire first week of March. Initially applied the first day it was available, this time not as well prepared. My bad and I sure don't want to walk around with bad papers.

My problem.

When I got FOID in 2013 and CCL IN 2014 the online system assigned your city of residence based on your ZIP code. I was assigned Barrington, IL while I actually live in Lake Barrington.

Fast forward to June 2016 when I renewed my DL. System took my actual city of residence, Lake Barrington.

Fast forward again to Jan. 2019. Took the CCL renewal course and attempted to submit application for renewal online. When I entered Lake Barrington the program immediately shunted me into the change of address que. Cost 80 clams to change both since all three tickets have to match. 4 weeks later it's still parked as "under review".

My CCL expires March 10 and the way the sytem is working I'm sweating the timing.

What a worthless sonsofbitchung system. Calling them is useless.

If you are going to print the screenshot and carry on and expired card, I would also have the portion of the law which states that you may carry if you have submitted and are otherwise not prevented from carrying printed as well. :cool:

Law enforcement isn't always up on things and this will be the first round, so there might be many which do not know that you are carrying lawfully.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm at 70 days and still showing Under Review. The State Police are unresponsive when asked about how long it will take. Meanwhile I'm not comfortable carrying with expired card. How long is everyone else waiting?

Reports look like late January early February are just going active. Expect to wait the full 90/120 days.

I have no problem carrying on an expired ccl. The law clearly allows it, and LEO are made aware via computer that the license is active. Do you want to be caught without protection if you need it? Carry on.

Archived