Ammo Shortage and Alert Thread

tom28

Any brick and mortar store will charge you more money than any online retailer. That's part of the reason I really don't sell much ammo, making less than a 5% markup competing with the internet retailers isn't my idea of business success. But really at the end of the day, if the brick and mortar store wants $15 and the internet retailer wants $9.95... we're only talking $5. Not to say you're cheap, but it amazes me how other people will bicker over $5 or spend countless hours scouring the internet to save $5.

I have a few Remington Bulk Boxes of 9mm FMJ. The bulk boxes are 250 rounds each. If you are interested PM me.

Hi Tom, welcome to the fight. The last time we went through ammo shortages I kept a list of places in my speed dial, like Cabelas, Gat, Dick's, etc. and would just call each day before lunch. If they told me they have some I would ask them to put it aside for me and I would be there at lunch time. Amazingly it didn't take too long to accumulate the amount of ammo that I needed to keep me in practice with some in reserve. Don't forget about the small, out of the way stores too, like Dick's in Deer Park etc.

OK, I hate gun shows, in general. They have every type of animal jerky in every jerky flavor, carmel corn, candied nuts, crafts, arthritus cures, Army surplus junk, 5 or 6 tables of WWII memorabilia and a bunch a Nazi crap, a table that will be selling relish or pickles or something, and then they also have some gun related stuff.

But one thing about gun shows at times like these is that they will have ammo. It remains to be seen how much they are selling it for though.

Hi Tom, welcome to the fight. The last time we went through ammo shortages I kept a list of places in my speed dial, like Cabelas, Gat, Dick's, etc. and would just call each day before lunch. If they told me they have some I would ask them to put it aside for me and I would be there at lunch time. Amazingly it didn't take too long to accumulate the amount of ammo that I needed to keep me in practice with some in reserve. Don't forget about the small, out of the way stores too, like Dick's in Deer Park etc.

I went to Dick's in niles for a few hundred round of american eagle 124gr FMJ for $16. I wouldnt have gone there in the first place but that was the only place that had them. I'm going to stop going there for ammo cuz they ask if you're a citizen ( born and raised Chicago!) and they type in your FOID number. They say it's to verify they looked at your card. Yeah, right. I'm afraid if i buy more some special agent might come knocking on my door asking me why I'm buying so much ammo. Maybe I'm just paranoid.

I have looked at online places. They either have stopped taking orders or very very behind. I'm to excited to wait that long.

I went to Dick's in niles for a few hundred round of american eagle 124gr FMJ for $16. I wouldnt have gone there in the first place but that was the only place that had them. I'm going to stop going there for ammo cuz they ask if you're a citizen ( born and raised Chicago!) and they type in your FOID number. They say it's to verify they looked at your card. Yeah, right. I'm afraid if i buy more some special agent might come knocking on my door asking me why I'm buying so much ammo. Maybe I'm just paranoid.

I have looked at online places. They either have stopped taking orders or very very behind. I'm to excited to wait that long. well as paranoid as you are so are the stores selling ammo. In the last 2 months i have bought ammo from 4 different stores and they all punched in my FOID number into the computer. I had to show my card at the gun counter then again at the front check out, they were only taking payment for guns at the gun counter. You think internet sales of ammo are not being looked at or info is not collected ? The internet sales are usually made for larger quantities and peek the interest of government watch departments and that is also where credit card transactions are tracked and yes law enforcement can and does track that info.. Call me paranoid but all my gun purchases and ammo in the last 3 months was with cash. That keeps the easy searchable credit card info out of the mix.

This is the St.Charles Walmart. They have no 9mm at all. They have no .223 or .308.

They still had some 22 LR. I saw 4 boxes of 40 S&W, 4 boxes of 45 ACP, one box of 44 magnum, a few boxes of 38 spl, and that was it. The rest of the stuff in the picture is stuff like .22 short, .25, 32 auto .17 HMR, 410 shot shells, and rifle ammunition like 30-06, 7mm Mag, 270 Winchester etc...

post-3474-0-06487300-1357006344_thumb.jpg

No 9mm:

post-3474-0-13608000-1357006439_thumb.jpg

OK, I hate gun shows, in general. They have every type of animal jerky in every jerky flavor, carmel corn, candied nuts, crafts, arthritus cures, Army surplus junk, 5 or 6 tables of WWII memorabilia and a bunch a Nazi crap, a table that will be selling relish or pickles or something, and then they also have some gun related stuff.

But one thing about gun shows at times like these is that they will have ammo. It remains to be seen how much they are selling it for though.

I've yet to see a deal on ammo at a gun show.

I was at Bass Pro yesterday and they had quite a bit of the defense ammo in all sizes, almost nothing in the FMJ stuff and .22 was just about completely gone. If you live in the city, online sales wont help you as they wont ship to Crook County.

I was in Bass Pro in Bolingbrook last week too, and yes they did have plenty of handgun ammo, shotgun, and hunting rifle rounds. Their .223 and .556 shelves were cleaned out though. I was looking at .40 ammo so I don't know what they're charging for 9mm JHP.

Anyone seeing anything way down here in Democratic Illinois? I am in the metro-East area of Belleville/Shiloh. I've got a Wal-Mart here in Belleville and another one 5 minutes away in O'Fallon. No 9mm, .223, or .22LR - been that way for two weeks. There is .40 cal and 100rd of WWB .45 as well. I won't shop at the local gun stores since A) they are almost always out, :cool: their prices are always horrible.

I bought 500rds of 9mm and 500rds of .45 online today via Palmetto State Armory. MidwayUSA has both as well (with FOID card on file) and AmmoToGo has some selection...not much.

Would love a note when anyone sees .223 in metro East area - don't have time to roam STL area! Please post a LOCATION/CITY when you guys reply...helps a lot!

Thanks - enjoy that crappy Chicago/Cook County ammo search!!

Tom28, how many rounds are you looking for? Where are you located?

I could probablly find an "extra" box of 20 if that helps keep the gun running.

Thanks for the offer. i still have a a couple boxes of range ammo. I know not the best for defense but i know it'll run reliably. i just got the gun and want at least a few hundred rounds through it before i trust that round to save my life.

Back in November every where had an abundance of ammo. Something about the impending apocalypse that scared the b'Jesus out of everyone and all the talk of assault rifle ban.

Late to the ammo party? There will also be a storage party soon - actually its already been in progress. https://www.surpluscenter.com/sort.asp?catname=misc&keyword=XA11

I've been eyeballing cans and they're selling at 20-50 cans a day. This place used to be pretty discrete but someone has found out they have cans.

So dont forget to keep your hard found ammo safe and dry. Also - amazon.com sells bulk desiccant. Otherwise you can collect packets from your shoe boxes, electronics, etc... Silica gel can be reactivated in an oven at ~200 degrees. Small packets will only take ~45 minutes, while very large ones can take hours. Alternatives to silica gel are popcorn and rice, which can be dehydrated the same way, and stored in a paper lunch sack inside the can. Using a small desiccant packet with your ammo can, in a cool/dry place, can extend your shelf life out beyond 100 years. Basically as long as your seal lasts - which people are still using stuff from ww2, even without silica packets.

There are a lot of sites that ship to Illinois, they just don't ship to Cook county or an area that falls partly in Cook.

Palmetto Armory ships to IL:

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ammunition/handgun-ammunition/9mm-luger.html

SG ammo:

http://sgammo.com/

MAH:

http://www.prestostore.com/cgi-bin/storefront.pl?ref=hotpig27&pg=26854

And others, Most online sites have a note up about high volume causing delays;...

Cabelas and pro bass out of 9mm defensive ammo. Seem to have plenty of everything else. I might have to get a. 45 pistol just so i can buy ammo to defend my home. Arrgghhh.

I was out and about today picking up a small gun not on any list and saw that .45 ACP is getting scarce to and pricy for 20 rounds of home defense type ammo.

Archived