Tracer ammo legal?

VannDaddy

I didn't see anything specifically stating tracer rounds are illegal by name but maybe they're considered an incendiary or explosive round and that makes them illegal.

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs4.asp?DocName=072000050HArt%2E+24&ActID=1876&ChapterID=53&SeqStart=62900000&SeqEnd=65800000

I have bought it at gun stores here in IL before. At GAT guns they had a bunch of 5.56 tracer ammo not that long ago. But yes I think tracers may fall under the incendiary wording which might be why some places won't ship it. But I'm sure some places will ship it. Its just like Switchblades or Tazers and stuff like that. Its not technically legal in IL but you can purchase them and own them as long as you don't have it out in public. If you don't have private land to shoot those tracers on I'm not sure if any ranges that would let you. Usually tracers are a no go on a public range.

To the best of my knowledge, not specifically illegal, but you'd be lucky to find a range that would let you use it.

That's my take as well - they can - and do cause fires in dry conditions.

An old buddy (tank commander in a SE Asian armed conflict) recounted firing belts full of 50 caliber (?) tracer rounds around the perimeter of camp to clear the brush before night.

I bought some 30.06 tracer rounds at Cabala's in Hoffman Estates a few years ago.

Still don't know what I'll do with them.

Flaming zombie round?

To the best of my knowledge, not specifically illegal, but you'd be lucky to find a range that would let you use it.

That's my take as well - they can - and do cause fires in dry conditions.

Many ranges use deep layers of rubberized stuff in their backstops. A fire in there can burn for a long time and make a real oozy smoky mess. Very hard to put out.

I didn't see anything specifically stating tracer rounds are illegal by name but maybe they're considered an incendiary or explosive round and that makes them illegal.

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs4.asp?DocName=072000050HArt%2E+24&ActID=1876&ChapterID=53&SeqStart=62900000&SeqEnd=65800000

"(720 ILCS 5/20-2) (from Ch. 38, par. 20-2)

Sec. 20-2. Possession of explosives or explosive or incendiary devices.

(a) A person commits possession of explosives or explosive or incendiary devices in violation of this Section when he or she possesses, manufactures or transports any explosive compound, timing or detonating device for use with any explosive compound or incendiary device and either intends to use the explosive or device to commit any offense or knows that another intends to use the explosive or device to commit a felony.

(b ) Sentence.

Possession of explosives or explosive or incendiary devices is a Class 1 felony for which a person, if sentenced to a term of imprisonment, shall be sentenced to not less than 4 years and not more than 30 years".

I think this addresses devices, e.g. a Molotov cocktail or firebomb, and intent. I have heard of tracer rounds causing brush fires, but that is coincidental.

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=117193

If tracer rounds would be included as incendiary devices, I think that a box of matches or lighter would also be included.

Hi,Not wanting to show too much ignorance, but how does tannerite fit into this?Rich Phillips
Depends, are you intending to commit a Felony or other offense with it?

and either intends to use the explosive or device to commit any offense or knows that another intends to use the explosive or device to commit a felony.
'cause if not the entire section is moot.

Years ago, I bought some .380 rounds that had a primer inserted into the nose of what otherwise been a 90 gr. hollowpoint bullet. I had hoped that they would have had more damaging effect on soft tissue than an HP round but was disappointed. When fired at a tree, they penetrate less than an inch and the bullet didn't even stay in the hole. The primer blew it back out.

When fired at a thin steel plate, the metal dimpled but wasn't penetrated by the .380 round. My regular 90 gr. HP reloads DID penetrate the 1/8" thick steel.

Fortunately, I shot all them off years ago because I found out a few years after that the law did NOT allow "explosive-type" bullets any more than Illinois allows "steel core" bullets.

Archived