Sanctuary gun counties in Illinois

Ranger

I created a template and added the county names.

Good work, Kevin. Please add Monroe to the map!

***Press Release***

May 7, 2018

I want to commend the Monroe County Board for voting today on making Monroe County a "Sanctuary County" for gun owners. I am proud of the County Board and stand firmly with them in support of our residents rights. The Sheriff's Department will not enforce any law that is deemed unconstituitional nor will we infringe on any residents Second Amendment! The following is the resolution that passed today in the County Board meeting.

Resolution opposing the passage of HB1465, HB1467, HB1468, HB1469, SB1657, any trailer bill, or any bill similar to, or any bill where the 100th Illinois General Assembly desires to restrict the Individual right of U. S. Citizens as protected by the Second Amendment of the United States Constitution.

WHEREAS, the Right of the People to Keep and Bear Arms is guaranteed as an Individual Right under the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution and under the Constitution of the State of Illinois, and;

WHEREAS, the Right of the People to Keep and Bear Arms for defense of Life, Liberty, and Property is regarded as an Inalienable Right by the People of Monroe County, and;

WHEREAS, the people of Monroe County, Illinois derive economic benefit from all safe forms of firearms recreation, hunting and shooting conducted within Monroe County using all types of firearms allowable under the United States Constitution, and;

WHEREAS, HB1465 is a violation of the 4th Amendment to the U. S. Constitution requiring responsible persons under 21 to surrender lawfully owned firearms or face becoming instant felons; fails to define how to relinquish firearms; only allows possession at the Sparta shooting complex, but fails to provide similar exemptions for recreational shooting at gun clubs, private ranges or under supervision of responsible adults or parents, unless certified as a firearms instructor;

WHEREAS, HB1467 is a violation of the 4th Amendment to the U. S. Constitution requiring persons to immediately relinquish lawfully owned bump stocks or trigger cranks, while also failing to provide where and how to relinquish firearms devices, thus creating instant felons upon passage;

WHEREAS, HB1468 contains broad and unclear definitions which will cause confusion amongst firearm owners and dealers as to which type of firearm is subject to 72-hour wait period; bans nonresidents from purchasing certain long guns defined loosely as assault weapons, puts dealers in jeopardy of unknowingly violating the law;

WHEREAS, HB1469 is a violation of the 4th Amendment to the U. S. Constitution requiring persons to immediately relinquish lawfully owned magazines, fails to provide how to properly relinquish banned magazines, creates instant felons if enacted as written, creates conflicts allowing for sale to out of state persons while stating possession is a felony, bans body armor worn as protection for those who employ the use of chain saws, motorcyclists, range officers and firearm instructors, shop owners and employees who work in dangerous neighborhoods or during night shifts;

WHEREAS, SB1657 and trailer bills will create economic hardship on lawfully owned and operated small business firearm dealerships, in effect forcing them to close; will create undue burdens and price increases on person to lawfully purchase firearms; will have a direct negative impact on local economies through job loss and sales tax loss; will create another layer of burdensome government regulation on top of the heavy Federal regulations; imposes new fees on top of existing Federal license fees;

WHEREAS, the Monroe County Board of Commissioners, being elected to represent the people of Monroe County, and being duly sworn by their Oath of Office to uphold the United States Constitution and the Constitution of the State of Illinois, and;

WHEREAS, the Illinois House of Representatives and the Illinois Senate, being elected by the People of the State of Illinois, and being duly sworn by their Oath of Office to uphold the United States Constitution and the Constitution of the State of Illinois, and;

WHEREAS, the Governor of Illinois, being elected to represent the People of the State of Illinois and being duly sworn by his Oath of Office to uphold the United States Constitution and the Constitution of the State of Illinois, and;

WHEREAS, proposed legislation, any bills similar to, under consideration by the Illinois State Legislature would infringe the Right to Keep and Bear Arms, and would ban the possession and use of firearms, magazines, body armor now employed by individual citizens of Monroe County, Illinois, for defense of Life, Liberty and Property, and would ban the possession and use of firearms now employed for safe forms of firearms recreation, hunting and shooting conducted within Monroe County, Illinois;

WHEREAS, the proposed legislation potentially violates the 5th Amendment failing to provide just compensation under the takings clause, 8th Amendment imposition against excessive fines and punishments on law abiding citizens by punitive forfeiture / relinquishment of lawfully owned property, and Ex Post Facto Law Clause of the United States Constitution.

NOW, THEREFORE, IT BE AND IS HEREBY RESOLVED, that the People of Monroe County, Illinois, do hereby oppose the enactment of any legislation that would infringe upon the Right of the People to keep and bear arms and consider such laws to be unconstitutional and beyond lawful Legislative Authority.

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that the Monroe County Board demands that the Illinois General Assembly cease further actions restricting the Right of the People to keep and bear arms, and hereby demand that the Governor of Illinois veto all such legislation which restricts the Right of the People to keep and bear arms.

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that the Clerk of Monroe County, Illinois is hereby directed to prepare and deliver certified copies of this Resolution to all members of the Illinois General Assembly, and to the Office of the Governor.

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that if the Government of the State of Illinois shall infringe upon the inalienable rights granted by the Second Amendment, Monroe County shall become a “Sanctuary County” for all firearms unconstitutionally prohibited by the government of the State of Illinois, in that, Monroe County will prohibit its employees from enforcing the unconstitutional actions of the State Government.

Sheriff Neal Rohlfing

My County and Sheriff, Both are awesome!

How does one go about trying to get their county to become a sanctuary county?

Print out the Monroe County resolution and take it to one of your county board members and sheriff. If they refuse to consider it, attend a board meeting and ask to be placed on the agenda to speak. Get like minded friends and family to start making calls as well. Be heard.

First response from Dekalb County board member:

Thank you for reaching out. In regards to the recent Proclamation that Effingham County and a few more counties passed they were non-binding statements. Our county like their counties are non-home rule and we must follow the laws passed by the state of Illinois. Cities that have passed gun restrictions in Illinois have been home rule cities allowing them more flexibility to differ from directions of the state. The only county in Illinois that is home rule is Cook County.

We will continue to follow the laws of Illinois in DeKalb County just like when we went from a non-carry and conceal county to a carry and conceal county in accordance with Illinois state law.

I respect your opinion but will not bring up a non-binding resolution that goes against the direction provided to us by the state of Illinois. Further, there are examples of Counties passing resolutions that go against the states direction which have resulted in lawsuits against the county that they either had to settle out of court or take to trial.

I want to continue to try to put DeKalb County in the best position to move forward without facing lawsuits that could add burden to taxpayers.

I have CC'D our county states attorney and Vice-Chairman on this email.

Again, I appreciate you reaching out after reading the news story about this issue and seeing the resolution from Effingham county.

I would encourage you to reach out to your state representatives about your thoughts on this topic as that would be the most appropriate venue to attempt any change.

Sincerely,

<REDACTED>

DeKalb County Board Chairman

Thank you for reaching out. In regards to the recent Proclamation that Effingham County and a few more counties passed they were non-binding statements. Our county like their counties are non-home rule and we must follow the laws passed by the state of Illinois. Cities that have passed gun restrictions in Illinois have been home rule cities allowing them more flexibility to differ from directions of the state. The only county in Illinois that is home rule is Cook County.

We will continue to follow the laws of Illinois in DeKalb County just like when we went from a non-carry and conceal county to a carry and conceal county in accordance with Illinois state law.

I respect your opinion but will not bring up a non-binding resolution that goes against the direction provided to us by the state of Illinois. Further, there are examples of Counties passing resolutions that go against the states direction which have resulted in lawsuits against the county that they either had to settle out of court or take to trial.

I want to continue to try to put DeKalb County in the best position to move forward without facing lawsuits that could add burden to taxpayers.

Again, I appreciate you reaching out after reading the news story about this issue and seeing the resolution from Effingham county.

I would encourage you to reach out to your state representatives about your thoughts on this topic as that would be the most appropriate venue to attempt any change.

Sincerely,

<REDACTED>

IOW, blah blah blah, we don care if state law violates your rights or the US Constitution

Sincerely,

<REDACTED>

IOW, blah blah blah, we don care if state law violates your rights or the US Constitution

And also like "We're slaves to the state and we have to do what master says". I have no idea but can't the county vote itself to be home rule ?

TAYLORVILLE — Following a 50-minute discussion of the matter, the Executive and Personnel Committee of the Christian County Board passed a resolution declaring Christian County a “gun sanctuary” should the Illinois General Assembly pass gun control laws deemed unconstitutional. The meeting took place Tuesday night in the Taylorville Courthouse.

In addition, the committee unanimously voted to recommend Vince Harris for the newly created position of Animal Control Waden/Zoning Officer.

The discussion was led by Vicki M. McMahon, board member from Taylorville in District 2. She is also the chairperson of the Christian County NRA affiliate. She first read the full text of a similar resolution passed in the last month by the Effingham County Board. That resolution made references to pending legislation in the General Assembly at the time. Since then, those bills had either been defeated or had been vetoed by the Governor.

Christian County State’s Attorney Mike Havera, who acts as the county board’s attorney, was present at the meeting and felt those specific references were not needed in the resolution and refereed to “proposed legislation” under consideration, including laws to “ban the possession of firearms, magazines, body armour. . . .Now employed for safe forms of firearms recreation, hunting and shooting conducted within Christian County.”

Havera emphasized this was just a resolution.

“A resolution is not law,” Havera said. “The State’s Attorney’s office and the Sheriff’s Department don’t want any confusion out there. This does not trump what the law is. You can’t do that legally, but it is symbolic in nature.”

He said the resolution is only meant to “send a message to the legislature. This puts you (legislature) on notice if such things pass, you could face repercussions at the ballot box.”

Havera also urged the last line of the resolution be struck due to potential liabilities the county could be subject to. It stated, “Christian County will prohibit its employees from enforcing the unconstitutional actions of the state government.”

He said both he – the State’s Attorney – and the sheriff, take an oath to enforce the laws of the state. If the sheriff’s department didn’t enforce a law, then something happens down the road because they didn’t enforce the law, the county could be open to litigation.

After more discussion, the line was struck so the final paragraph read, in part, “that if the government of the State of Illinois shall infringe upon the inalienable rights granted by the Second Amendment, Christian County shall become a ‘sanctuary county’ for all firearms unconstitutionally prohibited by the government of the State of Illinois.”

All six committee members including McMahon and committee chairman Donna Hibbetts as well as Molly Alaria, Marilyn Voggetzer, Ben Curtin and Becky Edwards voted in favor of sending the measure to the full board which will vote on it Tuesday night during their monthly meeting.

McDonough County Board questioned on gun control

http://www.mcdonoughvoice.com/news/20180509/mcdonough-county-board-questioned-on-gun--control

MACOMB — The McDonough County Board has been asked to take a stand against state gun control legislation. County Clerk Gretchen DeJaynes told members of the board’s law and legal committee Monday that a letter was received with a copy of a resolution passed by the Effingham County Board opposing all state efforts at gun control. McDonough County was asked to pass a similar resolution.

“I don’t see us getting involved in this,” said County Board Chairman Scott Schwerer, “but any member can propose a resolution if they choose....I felt obligated to bring this person’s letter to the attention of the board.“

McDonough County Board questioned on gun control

http://www.mcdonoughvoice.com/news/20180509/mcdonough-county-board-questioned-on-gun--control

MACOMB — The McDonough County Board has been asked to take a stand against state gun control legislation. County Clerk Gretchen DeJaynes told members of the board’s law and legal committee Monday that a letter was received with a copy of a resolution passed by the Effingham County Board opposing all state efforts at gun control. McDonough County was asked to pass a similar resolution.

“I don’t see us getting involved in this,” said County Board Chairman Scott Schwerer, “but any member can propose a resolution if they choose....I felt obligated to bring this person’s letter to the attention of the board.“

Probably my email, or someone that actually wrote a letter. I did email all the board members who had email addresses listed.

The hand wringing some board members are doing with regard to this is sad. The local unit of government is the best way to represent the people and see that they receive equal protection under the Constitution.

If no hand wringing was done in places that provide cover for those who don't respect our immigration laws and procedures, then why should there be any for a righteous cause that looks to protect the fundamental rights of all citizens against government tyranny?

Sincerely,

<REDACTED>

Similar response to what I got from Lake County Chairman, though your is a little more anti-tinted.

How does one go about trying to get their county to become a sanctuary county?

Take the resolution, call your county board member, ask to meet them or simply email to them, but tell them to join the club. We need as many counties to join in. We need a unified voice in opposition. I am so excited how Effingham took my resolution and added sanctuary paragraph.

I'm excited to watch all the other counties joining in. We are being heard. Chicago, and Springfield are getting the message.

Next step is actual binding ordinance and to get your local general assembly rep and state senator on board with a public statement of support.

If you need guidance,

Call me 8153832654

Chad McGinnis

Iroquois County Board, district 1

Followed up with my County board member by phone and he forwarded it to the others. He is not interested

his e-mail to me

As you can see, I forwarded your information on to my fellow boardmembers on 4/19 and have had no conversations with any of them about the matter.

But as he forwarded it he basically killed it.

All,

Spoke with this gentleman on the phone and gave him my personal opinion, both on the subject and about bringing such matters before the Board in resolution form. I made it clear that I was speaking to him as a citizen just as himself and in no way would presume to speak as the Board. I told him I would forward this to all of you with no expectations of action.

Report from Wayne county: The young gent who was scheduled to speak did a fine job, the room has about 35 seats for public and most were filled.

The board chairman noted he was in favor of it as a concept but appointed a committee to go over it (State’s Attorney included) to tailor it to the county and “do it right”. The S.A. indicated he felt this was wise and mentioned that some of the language seemed alarmist, noting that the legislature likely wouldn’t be trying to pass an ex post facto law. (I think he may be surprised at how badly written some of it is). I tend to disagree with one statement he made...that using the word “sanctuary” was a bad idea. He felt it confused the message with immigration, etc. while I feel that this is exactly the point.

At any rate, they intend to take it up again at the June meeting. The S.A. even noted that it would be popular with the county citizens as “everybody here has guns”.

Followed up with my County board member by phone and he forwarded it to the others. He is not interested

his e-mail to me

As you can see, I forwarded your information on to my fellow boardmembers on 4/19 and have had no conversations with any of them about the matter.

All,

Spoke with this gentleman on the phone and gave him my personal opinion, both on the subject and about bringing such matters before the Board in resolution form. I made it clear that I was speaking to him as a citizen just as himself and in no way would presume to speak as the Board. I told him I would forward this to all of you with no expectations of action.

Which county?

his e-mail to me

All,

Which county?

Douglas

Jackson County is attempting to go in the opposite direction. A resolution passed committee 3-1 last night in support of anti-gun proposals in Springfield. It goes to the full board May 20th, IIRC.

Note: Jackson County is easily the most left leaning county in the deep south, due in part to being home to SIU-C.

Jackson County is attempting to go in the opposite direction. A resolution passed committee 3-1 last night in support of anti-gun proposals in Springfield. It goes to the full board May 20th, IIRC.

Note: Jackson County is easily the most left leaning county in the deep south, due in part to being home to SIU-C.

Of course. Full of transplants from Cook. I myself grew up in Cook, but left to get away from that BS

Archived