Concealed Carry Holder Returns Fire While Driving On Bishop Ford Freeway

kwc

From https://patch.com/illinois/southside/concealed-carry-holder-returns-fire-while-driving-bishop-ford-freeway

CHICAGO, IL A driver with a concealed carry license shot back at another motorist who opened fire early Monday on the Bishop Ford Freeway on the Far South Side, the Chicago Tribune reports. The concealed carry holder, 39, wasn't injured in the incident, and the driver accused of firing first fled the scene on foot after a crash, the report added.

The shooting happened at around 1:25 a.m. Monday, Aug. 7, as the concealed carry holder traveled south in the 9500 block of South Stony Island Avenue, the report stated. An individual in a 2007 Chevrolet Equinox shot at the driver who was behind the wheel of a white 2015 Dodge Charger, the report added.

The driver of the Charger fired back, which caused the other driver to crash the Equinox, the report stated. The Equinox's driver then ran from the scene after accident, the report added.

Police are searching for the suspect in the shooting. The concealed carry holder's Charger also was damaged in the incident, the Tribune reports.

Not sure if I'd engage in gunplay while behind the wheel. That would be...extreme circumstances, especially in this case when the permit holder had a Charger (not sure which model) with at least a 3.6L V6, at most a 6.4L V8, either way with a metric crap ton of torque to get outta dodge. Contrast with the Equinox, which probably has a 3.4L V6. If I were the licensed, I would have put the throttle to the floor and got out of there. Or at least attempted it before pulling my pistol and discharging it on a public thoroughfare.

Seems like his first instinct was to shoot back rather than evading and escaping, using his pistol as a last resort. Then again, I wasn't there so I'm in no place to judge.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Difficult situation but the proof is in the pudding. Running away when attacked in any kind of fight (fist, knife, bat, gun etc.) usually puts you in a worse position. The CCL guy returned fire on a person shooting at him as he should. He defended his life. Attacker was neutralized and nobody else was injured. Great response..

Not sure if I'd engage in gunplay while behind the wheel. That would be...extreme circumstances, especially in this case when the permit holder had a Charger (not sure which model) with at least a 3.6L V6, at most a 6.4L V8, either way with a metric crap ton of torque to get outta dodge. Contrast with the Equinox, which probably has a 3.4L V6. If I were the licensed, I would have put the throttle to the floor and got out of there. Or at least attempted it before pulling my pistol and discharging it on a public thoroughfare. Seems like his first instinct was to shoot back rather than evading and escaping, using his pistol as a last resort. Then again, I wasn't there so I'm in no place to judge. Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Even if he was in a new Demon, I don't think he's going to outrun a bullet. None of us were there to understand the entire situation. Hopefully for his own sake at this point, shooting back was the only option.

Too many times we start second guessing the use of a firearm by a licensed individual here and yet we support having the ability to defend ones self whole heartily!

Too many couch cowboys with what should have happened.

If getting fired upon isn't reason to return fire, then you don't need a firearm anyway..........

No reports of anyone hurt beyond the two participants in this case.

So maybe he took the time to clear, observe, aim and fire.

I'll be shocked when someone says anyone actually did the right thing when returning fire in these reported situations.

Damned if you don't, damned if you do. And then after getting grilled by your peers, it's the prosecutors to deal with who have read and asked and followed the communities response for what the couch cowboys would have done!

Too many times we start second guessing the use of a firearm by a licensed individual here and yet we support having the ability to defend ones self whole heartily!

If getting fired upon isn't reason to return fire, then you don't need a firearm anyway..........

I'll be shocked when someone says anyone actually did the right thing when returning fire in these reported situations.

Damned if you don't, damned if you do. And then after getting grilled by your peers, it's the prosecutors to deal with who have read and asked and followed the communities response for what the couch cowboys would have done!

You said "I'll be shocked when someone says anyone actually did the right thing when returning fire in these reported situations."

Post #5 didn't shock you? Signed, not a couch cowboy :)

You said "I'll be shocked when someone says anyone actually did the right thing when returning fire in these reported situations."

Post #5 didn't shock you? Signed, not a couch cowboy :)

LOL!

Always return fire against an armed attacker if you can. Introduce that "doubt" immediately, will definitely put his a** at bay. Usually when one is being fired at while driving, they put their head down and punch the gas; driving blindly. Not a good thing
I've never been fired at while driving, but assuming it was coming from beside me, I'd think my natural reaction would be to hit the brakes.

Added bunuses of that would be a much quicker distance gap between us (vs accelerating), and it puts them in front of you, so you've got a better shot if they decide to continue the confrontation.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

When I did executive protection I have fired from cars as well as inside houses without hearing protection.. It is not as loud as you would think.

I suppose it depends on what equipment and caliber you're using. I shot my 45ACP outdoors (free field) and it was so loud I swear my ears were bleeding after two shots.

As far as the incident in question...I'm not going to second-guess the CCL holder on this one. He did what he felt he needed to do in the given situation. The attack was stopped. The good guy didn't sustain a deadly injury. No bystanders were hurt. All-in-all, not a bad day. I'm sure he's still shaking like a leaf over it.

The other driver must have clearly been in the wrong...otherwise he would have come forward by now to tell his side of the story.

The thing I want to focus on is what could have happened if the CCL holder either didn't have a license to carry...or hadn't been carrying that day. Things could have gone MUCH worse.

Lesson here: keep your license up-to-date and carry EVERY DAY. Keep your weapon clean and well-maintained.

As I recall the best course of action if someone in a car next to you pulls a gun is stand on the brakes. Cars will go from 60 mph to zero faster than they'll do 60-120. You also force the offender to attempt shooting backwards at your rapidly decelerating car rather than forward at a car accelerating at a more leisurely pace.

Standing on the brakes while going 60 with traffic, not good.

Getting rear ended not so much fun either.

But then we weren't there so there's that......

Would you rather be rear ended or shot?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

I'm never t gonna volunteer to get shot any time soon.

But if I have a second to check, I'd like to not get rear ended either.

I did finish by saying we weren't there, and maybe he checked, and maybe he made the best decision he could.

I sure he's not going to tell us any time soon.

Cover your left ear with your left hand as you stick the gun out the window and shoot with your right hand. Or not. Someone told me that is what he learned when he took a course to be a limo driver for VIPs.
And drive with your knees?Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
Maybe it was cover your left ear with your right hand while shooting with your left. I don't remember exactly, but yeah, steer with your knees.

Archived