Decent budget shotgun

McCroskey

I'd like a shotgun for additional home defense. What I really want is a UTS-15, but I can't spare 800 bucks for one right now, which is about the cheapest I've seen them. What are some options for decent budget 12-gauge shotguns? Age really does not matter, all I care about is it's not junk, really.

I'd like a shotgun for additional home defense. What I really want is a UTS-15, but I can't spare 800 bucks for one right now, which is about the cheapest I've seen them. What are some options for decent budget 12-gauge shotguns? Age really does not matter, all I care about is it's not junk, really.

I want the UTS-15A. It would be even better if they made it a convertible, like the Benelli M3.

Mossberg 500, the reason to go this route over the maverick is the aftermarket and cheap eBay takeoff parts from people that have done aftermarket changes.

F Remington, they ended up owned by an antigun vulture capital firm that sucked all their money, screwed their creditors, screwed their employees, and is now bank owned after bankruptcy. If not for ethical reasons just know they make a s* product now.

Its gotten worse than MIM, the new 870s are using plastic in a lot of parts. Any sub $600 gun is going to contain MIM including the handgun many likely carry and trust their life to. If the part is designed in MIM from the beginning from a good manufacturer its not a big deal. Its when the manufacturer uses the same exact specs from a forged or stamped part and does it in MIM it becomes an issue. Notoriously this is what happened with Kimber that gave the material its poorly deserved reputation. Id expect Remington to cut corners as well.

2007 was when Cerberus acquired Remington, and the brand new guns are manufactured in Alabama. The 870 was a good gun prior, and Im sure the law enforcement contract models are good, but its a lot of research to sort the good from the bad.

Used 870 or 500 is the best bet, there are some other good ones that show up used sometimes, or really cheap new stuff but these 2 are your best bet for bang for your buck. I prefer the 500 myself. Either one is going to be more practical and probably a better choice for protection/hd than the uts15. Only thing the UTS does better is capacity, and look like it came from armory of the Pillar of Autumn.

Some might consider it as a fun gun,novelty,or have no use for it.I have a smaller home and keep a Mossberg 590 shockwave at the ready.5+1 of 2 3\4 oo low recoil buck works for me.I like the maneuverability it offers.I would like to keep my teeth and do not sight shoot it,but about shoulder high after some practice i guarantee i would have a bad guys attention.I installed a rail,light,and oversized aluminum safety.$350-400 more or less.definitely not for everyone,just another option.

Remington 870 or a mossberg 500 if your left handed get the mossberg

Its easy to install a left hand safety on a 870.

Yes i know my son is a lefty I just didn't want to have a mix up

Don't forget that the shell ejects from the right side of the receiver, in front of a lefties face. The Browning BPS and Ithaca 37 are two that come to mind that eject from the bottom.

Archived