Shooting at Mercy Hospital

VannDaddy

Let JB try and get rid of CCL, we have precedent at the 7th Circuit that will hit him like a bag of bricks.

No. He'll have FCCL and FOID changed to may issue and require you have proof that your life has been threatened and therefore you have a justifiable reason to own / carry. Otherwise your license will be declared null and void. You will also have your FOID revoked and will be given 24 hours to surrender all firearms to the police. You will then be the subject of a search warrant allowing LEOs to trash any and all property you own to confirm you haven't kept any hidden firearms.

As I understand it, and lordie knows I sometimes can get confused, a Hispanic male used a handgun to shoot and kill a black female with whom he was previously involved as well as two innocent bystanders and was himself made dead in the process.

If you ever follow https://heyjackass.com/ the story kinda reads like every other day in Chicago? The 'non-typical' details are the black female is a well respected doctor, one of the bystanders was a policeman, the other a Caucasian pharmacy tech. That DOES make it by definition "news".

I suspect that were they typical Chicago weekend victims it would barely get media coverage at all? It should not be the case.....but it is.

I was watching WGN thru this thing and there was an anchor named Mika going on about how this was classified as a “mass shooting”. She went on to define that as 3 or more. She also went on to say we are seeing far too many of these and clicked off the church , synagogue shooting. It occured to me that this person was blind to the fact that these multiple shootings happend many times in the south and west sides this year. What a moron.

As I understand it, and lordie knows I sometimes can get confused, a Hispanic male used a handgun to shoot and kill a black female with whom he was previously involved as well as two innocent bystanders and was himself made dead in the process.

If you ever follow https://heyjackass.com/ the story kinda reads like every other day in Chicago? The 'non-typical' details are the black female is a well respected doctor, one of the bystanders was a policeman, the other a Caucasian pharmacy tech. That DOES make it by definition "news".

I suspect that were they typical Chicago weekend victims it would barely get media coverage at all? It should not be the case.....but it is.

I was watching WGN thru this thing and there was an anchor named Mika going on about how this was classified as a “mass shooting”. She went on to define that as 3 or more. She also went on to say we are seeing far too many of these and clicked off the church , synagogue shooting. It occured to me that this person was blind to the fact that these multiple shootings happend many times in the south and west sides this year. What a moron.

Obama changed the definition of a mass shooting from 8 or more to 3 or more, to favor the gun control agenda.

Regarding whether or not this guy had a CCL.....so far I've seen no official report of this being the case. Everything I've seen amounts to hearsay.

We may want to hold off on spreading unconfirmed info until it's either proven to be true, or disproved

Wow, this article claims his first wife filed a restraining order against him, yet he was still able to get a CCL. I wonder if the system failed or if the reporting in the article linked below is inaccurate?

https://chicago.suntimes.com/news/mercy-hospital-shooting-juan-lopez-tamara-oneal-chicago-police/

Regarding whether or not this guy had a CCL.....so far I've seen no official report of this being the case. Everything I've seen amounts to hearsay.

We may want to hold off on spreading unconfirmed info until it's either proven to be true, or disproved

Wow, this article claims his first wife filed a restraining order against him, yet he was still able to get a CCL. I wonder if the system failed or if the reporting in the article linked below is inaccurate?

https://chicago.suntimes.com/news/mercy-hospital-shooting-juan-lopez-tamara-oneal-chicago-police/

I was just going to post that, a picture of the system apparently failing is once again starting to emerge.

Authorities said Lopez threatened five years to shoot up the Chicago Fire Academy. They said he had been disciplined for “improper conduct toward women” and made the threat to his fellow classmates.
Four years ago, the woman he married in 2008 filed a petition for an order of protection against Lopez, indicating she had begun separation proceedings.
The petition alleged that Lopez had been sleeping with a pistol under his pillow, and that he left the gun out where the couple’s small child could reach it.
The woman claimed Lopez had pulled the gun on multiple people. Once, she said he ran outside with the gun to look for a neighbor he felt threatened by. Then, on Nov. 22, 2014, he allegedly “forgot about a scheduled apartment appraisal and pulled the gun out and pointed it to the Realtor.”
Finally, after she began separation proceedings, the woman said Lopez sent her a text message on Dec. 1, 2014, threatening “to come to my job and cause a scene.”
Lopez was not criminally charged.

Not everyone that had that happen to them are guilty or bad people. Divorce cases take strange roads. In this case it seems this moron was unhinged then and now.

Not everyone that had that happen to them are guilty or bad people. Divorce cases take strange roads. In this case it seems this moron was unhinged then and now.

Indeed. I've heard of more than one case where the lawyer requested an order of protection before having a sit-down with either party.

I was just going to post that, a picture of the system apparently failing is once again starting to emerge.

Authorities said Lopez threatened five years to shoot up the Chicago Fire Academy. They said he had been disciplined for “improper conduct toward women” and made the threat to his fellow classmates.
Four years ago, the woman he married in 2008 filed a petition for an order of protection against Lopez, indicating she had begun separation proceedings.
The petition alleged that Lopez had been sleeping with a pistol under his pillow, and that he left the gun out where the couple’s small child could reach it.
The woman claimed Lopez had pulled the gun on multiple people. Once, she said he ran outside with the gun to look for a neighbor he felt threatened by. Then, on Nov. 22, 2014, he allegedly “forgot about a scheduled apartment appraisal and pulled the gun out and pointed it to the Realtor.”
Finally, after she began separation proceedings, the woman said Lopez sent her a text message on Dec. 1, 2014, threatening “to come to my job and cause a scene.”
Lopez was not criminally charged.

So, apparently the vaunted background check system that is supposed to be all-powerful at keeping firearms out of the hands of dangerous people likely to misuse them for violent ends utterly failed at doing so with this individual, who had multiple red flags previously that he was a hothead and bully who had previously used firearms to threaten people.

Why, it's as if the background check system for the CCL in Illinois doesn't actually work when it needs to, but instead only serves as an impediment to law-abiding citizens, especially those in low-income areas, who want to be able to defend themselves against murderous scumbags who, I don't know, might threaten to shoot or harm others with a firearm on multiple occasions, and then go into an Unarmed Murder Facilitation Zone and do exactly that.

It' seems as though it was designed that way, like a feature instead of a bug!

Wow, this article claims his first wife filed a restraining order against him, yet he was still able to get a CCL. ...

Indeed. I've heard of more than one case where the lawyer requested an order of protection before having a sit-down with either party.

Like Maryland Gun Confiscation Death ...

The problem is that there are cases where restraining orders would definitely restrain someone who needs to be restrained. Superfluous ones without justification make them all suspect.

Let's see, he was training to join the Chicago Fire Department. It's not easy to get accepted there, most people get in because somebody they know has clout. He gets bounced out of there for threatening violence, but then gets hired by another city agency, the Chicago Housing Authority. Again, clout is a huge help in getting that sort of job.

And there, I think, is your answer as to why he wasn't Darted, why he got to keep his FOID and CCL, why he always "slipped through the cracks". He's somebody's somebody, somebody who has political clout. If we had a real press in this city we'd find out who that somebody is, but they'd rather push for more gun control.

I'm actually shocked the Tribune would run an article by John Lotte. He's pretty much the premier pro gun academic.

Let's see, he was training to join the Chicago Fire Department. It's not easy to get accepted there, most people get in because somebody they know has clout. He gets bounced out of there for threatening violence, but then gets hired by another city agency, the Chicago Housing Authority. Again, clout is a huge help in getting that sort of job.

And there, I think, is your answer as to why he wasn't Darted, why he got to keep his FOID and CCL, why he always "slipped through the cracks". He's somebody's somebody, somebody who has political clout. If we had a real press in this city we'd find out who that somebody is, but they'd rather push for more gun control.

That was my thought exactly. After all, it took a decade for that Daley clown who punched a kid half his size to death and a newspaper investigation to expose that. But, as you said, unfortunately my old profession these days would rather blame the firearm rather than the person in power who pulled the strings to allow this shooter the ability to carry despite his violent behavior in the past.

Looks like Second City Cop had the same thoughts: http://secondcitycop.blogspot.com/2018/11/disgusting-politics.html?m=1

And now we have Officer Jimenez's sacrifice being used by the Sun Times, Mendoza, Foxx and Rahm as political fodder for more gun control, even in the face of constant, continuous and endless failures of the system already in place.

Perhaps someone (hello investigative reporters?) should look into this misdirection and see who or what clout was involved in this.

Maybe it was because a police officer died, and/or that the shooting occurred in a hospital, but I was still surprised that virtually the entire first few pages of the Tribune this morning were about this incident. I know that tomorrow as my entire family gathers at my home for Thanksgiving Day dinner, 22 out of 23 of us, my Left leaning grown daughters, both of whom seem to truly enjoy standing on street corners with signs as part of the "Women's March" will be saying that this shooting shows why concealed carry should not be allowed, that we need more "gun control", and that certainly "something must be done!". They get frustrated with me when I ask them how exactly passing new gun laws will stop criminals and the deranged from continuing to violate even more prohibitive laws like assaulting, robbing and murdering people? I ask them, "if you think guns should be taken away from people to prevent them from being used in shootings, why not start with taking the guns away from those that cannot legally own them, rather than always wanting to start by denying guns to those that do not commit crimes? Of course they have no answers. I really get them going when I say to my daughters and son in laws, all pro abortion (although they always say "pro choice" as if that takes away the reality that an abortion is the killing of an unborn child) that to cut down on "gun violence" we need to ban all abortions, because the mindset that abortion is okay leads to many thinking it is also okay to take the lives of adults as well when they are angry at them". They of course start to rant and rave that restricting abortions has nothing to do with gun violence and I respond that passing a law that makes it illegal for me, as a law abiding gun owner, to own certain forms of firearms has absolutely nothing to do with the dregs of society killing people in hospitals because their fiance broke an engagement and they couldn't seem to handle that. Should be an interesting holiday meal.

Perhaps, just PERHAPS they've decided they really want to stay if business and need to supply the REAL news to the customer paying for it...

Wasn't there just another emergency room shooting earlier this year and a officer died, it got very little coverage guess this was a slow news day (or a better part of town)

Looks like Second City Cop had the same thoughts: http://secondcitycop.blogspot.com/2018/11/disgusting-politics.html?m=1

And now we have Officer Jimenez's sacrifice being used by the Sun Times, Mendoza, Foxx and Rahm as political fodder for more gun control, even in the face of constant, continuous and endless failures of the system already in place.

Perhaps someone (hello investigative reporters?) should look into this misdirection and see who or what clout was involved in this.

Who though? Tribune is firmly in the machines pocket, Sun Times is mostly in the machines Pocket; every now and again someone like the Chicago Reader or Craines goes rogue but on an issue like this? Not holding my breath.

From The Chicago Sun-Times

Ald. Roberto Maldonado (26th) said Wednesday that the Mercy Hospital shooter previously worked as a summer intern at his Northwest Side aldermanic office.

The alderman said the city runs the internship program and that he didn't personally choose Lopez or know him before he applied for the job.

Maldonado said he played no role in helping Lopez secure a job earlier this year with the Chicago Housing Authority.

... so maybe Maldonado and maybe not, but it wasn't the first time strings got pulled for Lopez.

From The Chicago Sun-Times

Ald. Roberto Maldonado (26th) said Wednesday that the Mercy Hospital shooter previously worked as a summer intern at his Northwest Side aldermanic office.

The alderman said the city runs the internship program and that he didn't personally choose Lopez or know him before he applied for the job.

Maldonado said he played no role in helping Lopez secure a job earlier this year with the Chicago Housing Authority.

... so maybe Maldonado and maybe not, but it wasn't the first time strings got pulled for Lopez.

There is something to be questioned when an Alderman instantly goes on the defensive and for all intents tosses an implied (not him) anonymous political crony helper under the bus...

Let's say Maldonado didn't help him directly. By writing his work experience on a resume isn't that enough for a hiring department accustomed to patrons and clout to give priority without asking questions? This puts the whole machine system in the spotlight, and we can't have that so.... guns are bad!

I'm coming to this thread late. I live 4 blocks from Mercy Hospital.

The local politicians pulling Rahm's "never let a good crisis go to waste" card to demand more gun control are totally missing the fact their own incompetence and broken system are to blame for this. The man had a restraining order on him and a pretty sordid history of threatening/violent behavior towards women. Where was Dart? He'll pull the FOIDs of people for banal old nonsense from years or decades ago, but Lopez got to keep his and even got his CCL approved? This is objectively NOT attributable to the "pro gun boogeymen and NRA", it's a failure of the existing system to correctly use the laws and processes they already have in place to prevent these kinds of things happening. Rahm, Mendoza and Dart should look in the mirror. This is their failure.

I passed on an article i read, that's it.

Archived