Photo

Rauner Pardons Felon ...

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 mauserme

Eliminating the element of surprise one bill at a time.

• Admin
  • 16,878 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 07:29 AM

... so he can hunt with his family.

http://www.wjbc.com/...-to-go-hunting/

Rauner pardons ex-ISU student in decades-old forgery case so he can own a gun to go hunting

Posted on September 1, 2017

By Howard Packowitz

NORMAL – A former Illinois State University student, convicted of a felony a quarter-century ago for his role in a campus credit card scam, has convinced Gov. Bruce Rauner to grant him a pardon so that he can carry a firearm.

(Brandon) O’Neal was sentenced to 2 1/2-years probation, two-weeks in the McLean County Jail, 200 hours of community service work, and he paid $2,000 restitution.

A Prisoner Review Board spokesman said O’Neal became a dentist and provided free dental work to people who can’t afford it, and O’Neal described his behavior as abhorrent when he was a 19-year old ISU student.

The spokesman said O’Neal was pardoned once before by then-Illinois Governor Patrick Quinn, but the action did not restore O’Neal’s firearm ownership rights.

In his latest petition, O’Neal said he would like to hunt with his father, grandfather, and son.

Link to ILGA House Audio/Video..........Link to ILGA Senate Audio/Video ..........Advanced Digital Media Link ..........Blue Room Stream Link

Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. (Ephesians 4:31)

On 5/25/2017, Superintendent Eddie Johnson predicted a 50% reduction is Chicago violence within 3 years of SB1722 becoming law.  The bill was signed into law on 6/23/2017. The clock is now ticking.

#2 tkroenlein

OFFICIAL MEMBER

• Members
  • 7,963 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 08:33 AM

Good.

While I have zero empathy for violent felons, I don't feel that non violent offenders should be barred forever from owning firearms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 ChicagoRonin70

The Landlord of the Flies!

• Supporting Members Team
  • 2,719 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 01:00 PM

Now this is an appropriate use of the executive power to pardon.

“One can never underestimate the idiocy of those determined to be offended by things that don't affect their real lives in the slightest.” —Me

“Hatred is the sharpest sword; the desire for peace is armor made of willow leaves in the face of an enemy who despises you, as neither alone will stop a strike that is aimed at your neck.” —Samurai proverb

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.” —Robert Heinlein

“I reserve the right to take any action necessary to maintain the equilibrium in which I've chosen to exist.” —Me

"It ain't braggin' if you done it." —Will Rogers

Gb1XExdm.jpg

#4 lilguy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 04:01 PM

Good.

I hope he has a chance of being reelected. I believe he has the welfare of all of us at heart.

#5 1700715

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 05:53 PM

He could of just petitioned the court via 65/10c instead of waiting for a 2nd Pardon would of been an easier route. 

Just my 2cents.  Happy Labor day ! 

A government big enough to give you everything you want,

Is strong enough to take everything you have.

-Thomas Jefferson-

#6 Flingarrows

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 05:55 PM

Good use of the power to pardon Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#7 WitchDoctor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 07:40 PM

Nice to see something fair for a change. The dentist certainly showed he had learned a lesson.

Solid move on Rauner's part. I too hope he gets re-elected.

Quinn should have been castrated. Sorry if not family friendly.

ISRA Member

NRA Life Member

3/504 P.I.R Blue Devil

25 years US Army

Proud Parent to a Wonderful Kid...

Tired of Chicago B.S.

#8 Pecks2AAmerica

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 11:10 PM

This is good to hear . I agree with tkroenlein in the aspect that a nonviolent felon should have their 2A rights restored .

#9 borgranta

• Members
  • 5,574 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 01:07 AM

Will he have trouble applying for an FCCL due to his criminal record despite being pardoned?

Edited by borgranta, 04 September 2017 - 01:09 AM.

The following referral code will grant provide a new User of Uber a free ride up to $15
donaldd4557ui

#10 BobPistol

• Members
  • 7,311 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 09:13 AM

This is a example of a good pardon.  Someone who did a crime and made themselves a good person and does not deserve the felony continuing to haunt them.

The Second Amendment of the Constitution protects the rest.

#11 markthesignguy

S39-(D)D.Harmon(F-) R77-(D)K.Willis(F-)

• 2,334 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 07:24 PM

This is an example of "boiling the frog". It used to be that eventually the Felon's 2nd amendment rights were automatically restored after he had fully paid his debit.

Now we cheer "special cases".

We have become too accepting of infringements that were codified into law before our time.

There were things I read in Heller that it appeared to me that they were dancing around as to not topple them at the same time.

Stuff that was done in '89, and '68  and '34.

Sign, sign, everywhere a sign......

#12 tkroenlein

OFFICIAL MEMBER

• Members
  • 7,963 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 09:42 PM

This is an example of "boiling the frog". It used to be that eventually the Felon's 2nd amendment rights were automatically restored after he had fully paid his debit.

Now we cheer "special cases".

We have become too accepting of infringements that were codified into law before our time.

There were things I read in Heller that it appeared to me that they were dancing around as to not topple them at the same time.

Stuff that was done in '89, and '68  and '34.

I agree about the Heller decision.

#13 Xwing

• Members
  • 8,466 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 06:56 AM

Good.

While I have zero empathy for violent felons, I don't feel that non violent offenders should be barred forever from owning firearms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Amen.  A mistake decades ago should not haunt one forever if they turned their life around...

NRA Lifetime Member
IGOLD 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
CCW Laws: (Android), (iPhone/iPad)
Posted anti-gun business listing: (Android), (iPhone/iPad)
Gun Range Tools & Logs: (Android), (iPhone/iPad)
Illinois Government: (Android), (iPhone/iPad)

#14 skinnyb82

• Members
  • 6,070 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 10:29 AM

This is a textbook example of the proper use of the power to pardon. Not only has he paid his debt to society (his sentence), he's gone above and beyond that by becoming a compassionate, productive, law-abiding member of society. What I'm curious about is how he was able to obtain a dental license from the state with a felony conviction on his sheet. AFAIK a felony (or even some Class A misdemeanors) are automatic DQs for certain occupational licenses. Likely because it wasn't a forcible felony, but still a felony. This is the perfect example of the stupidity of occupational licensing in this state. Student loan defaulters may be denied a license for anything (I don't know how often this occurs, but I do know that they regularly suspend CPA licenses for student loan delinquencies), but somehow a convicted felon obtained a license to practice dentistry. Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
NRA Member
SAF Member
C&R License Holder

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users