UPS made me break the law to ship a firearm...

GodBlessTheUSA

Carrying an unloaded or loaded firearm in Illinois is against the law, unless you have a valid CCL or are transporting a firearm properly...

Before Illinois passed the Carry Concealed Law, there was plenty of signage out there on businesses that didn't want firearms on their property...

I sincerely doubt that the signage is specific to Concealed Carry license holders...

You are actually incorrect. The no gun sign is only applicable to Concealed carry card holders while carrying a firearm, Carrying a firearm is different from transporting a firearm. the following site links to a pamphlet that the ISP put out outlining how to properly transport a firearm. https://www.dnr.illinois.gov/hunting/documents/transportyourfirearmlegally.pdf

If it is unloaded and in a container (container meaning the generally accepted term of a device that that contains something on all all sides including a latched lid) then you are transporting which anyone who possess a FOID card can do. How do you think a person that buys a gun from a store gets it home if it became illegal to posses an unloaded firearm after the CCW law was passed?

further more, the signage is specific to concealed Carrying as the bottom of the sign must specifically reference the statute. any sign without that reference technically is non-compliant and does not carry force of law.

The linked pamphlet is from the Department of Natural Resources and is supposed to be utilized while in the acts covered by hunting/fishing laws...

http://www.gunssavelife.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/TransportLegally.pdf

Is the link to the pre-concealed carry pamphlet from the ISP which has not been updated since passage of the FCCA...(it was taken down from the ISP page and never re-issued)

I would like to ask the OP that if one needs a FCCL to carry an unloaded firearm, then does that mean one needs a FCCL to bring a firearm home from the FFL after purchasing it? If his answer is no because the act of carrying an unloaded firearm in a box, or otherwise known as a container, is known as transporting the firearm and is something that any Illinois resident with a FOID can legally do, then I'm sure he will realize that he broke no law.

What is the purpose of posting a "Gun Free Zone" sign on the front door if UPS allows shipment of firearms?

Because if one licensee was carrying and standing in line and another licensee came in the store and cut in front of the licensee who was already waiting in line,

There would be a shootout.

Or if an office chair packed in a box fell off the conveyor belt...my god the carnage.

Some of the questions we've discussed over the past 4 years are going to come up again once in a while. New licensees, new members that don't have those 4 years just need to start fresh sometimes.

I agree and am happy to help. Usually. But I think the OP skipped the CoC.

Sounds suspiciously like someone trolling to see if we know the law or encourage breaking the law.

Some of the questions we've discussed over the past 4 years are going to come up again once in a while. New licensees, new members that don't have those 4 years just need to start fresh sometimes.

Sounds suspiciously like someone trolling to see if we know the law or encourage breaking the law.

See post #16

I can't believe there's 40 posts in this thread. First off the OP is wrong the OP doesn't understand the FCCA. His premise is wrong and doesn't accept the answers given by people that know and understand the FCCA.

I can't believe there's 40 posts in this thread. First off the OP is wrong the OP doesn't understand the FCCA. His premise is wrong and doesn't accept the answers given by people that know and understand the FCCA.

+1

43 posts :drool:

Even before CCL there were several court cases where people were carrying firearms and ammunition that were dismissed because it's not illegal. The one that probably made the news was the guy that had the gun/ammo in his backpack I think on the prairie path in Du Page.

Frankly everyone I know also ignore all that overnight requirement nonsense as well, there's simply no logical justification for it.

OP sure took an interesting tone for being the new guy in a forum full of people who know about this stuff and in the case of some members participated in getting the bill passed.

OP, a word of advice, if you're coming to a place asking for advice you should be polite and listen to the people giving you the free advice you asked them to give you. Taking a combative tone isn't going to endear anyone to do you more favors.

Carrying an unloaded or loaded firearm in Illinois is against the law, unless you have a valid CCL or are transporting a firearm properly...

Before Illinois passed the Carry Concealed Law, there was plenty of signage out there on businesses that didn't want firearms on their property...

I sincerely doubt that the signage is specific to Concealed Carry license holders...

You are actually incorrect. The no gun sign is only applicable to Concealed carry card holders while carrying a firearm, Carrying a firearm is different from transporting a firearm. the following site links to a pamphlet that the ISP put out outlining how to properly transport a firearm. https://www.dnr.illinois.gov/hunting/documents/transportyourfirearmlegally.pdf

If it is unloaded and in a container (container meaning the generally accepted term of a device that that contains something on all all sides including a latched lid) then you are transporting which anyone who possess a FOID card can do. How do you think a person that buys a gun from a store gets it home if it became illegal to posses an unloaded firearm after the CCW law was passed?

further more, the signage is specific to concealed Carrying as the bottom of the sign must specifically reference the statute. any sign without that reference technically is non-compliant and does not carry force of law.

The linked pamphlet is from the Department of Natural Resources and is supposed to be utilized while in the acts covered by hunting/fishing laws...

http://www.gunssavelife.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/TransportLegally.pdf

Is the link to the pre-concealed carry pamphlet from the ISP which has not been updated since passage of the FCCA...(it was taken down from the ISP page and never re-issued)

You are correct. it is pre FCCA and has not been updated. I was trying to point out to the OP that transporting a firearm pre-FCCA was not illegal and It certainly did not become so after its passage.

This is where the search function comes in handy.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Lets not make enemies. :)

The OP was mistaken in his initial understanding. Several IC members posted the correct answer, but Frank took the time to provide the details behind it. (Thanks Frank!) I believe this settled the original question. All done.

To GodBlesstheUSA, Welcome to IllinoisCarry! There is a plethora of useful information here. But just as a constructive suggestion, it is usually better to take a more conciliatory tone when asking for advice. :) Let us know if any more questions. :thumbsup:

I think the legality has been beat to death. The official ISP signage is the only one that has any force of law. If you see any other sign, it does not have the force of law. If the property owner discovers you have a weapon (loaded, unloaded, cased, concealed, whatever), the only thing they can do is ask you to leave or put the gun in your vehicle. If you refuse, they can call the police. The only thing the police can do is charge you with trespassing. The only exception is a residence. If a resident invites you to his home and verbally asks you not to bring a concealed weapon in, that's legally binding and you can be charged with a crime even though there's no sign. There is no signage in the State of Illinois that prohibits transport of firearms...except federal facilities. Still, that's federal law and the local or state police will not arrest you over it. I guess courthouses are also off limits to transport. You know, don't be dumb. If you see a metal detector, I think that's a good sign that you won't be allowed to bring a weapon inside.

That out of the way...shipping firearms can be a gigantic hassle. This is mostly because it's done infrequently in comparison to other items. There are special rules to be observed which the UPS Store employees may not know about or be familiar with. They don't want to get in trouble. You know, people outside the "gun community" assign a certain level of Voodoo powers to guns. They imagine all sorts of laws and restrictions about them that don't exist. They feel uncomfortable being around them. They're not sure whether to trust you. Etcetera. You need to be patient. It is frustrating, I'll grant that. But you'll catch more flies with honey than vinegar. Right? You may as well accept the idea that you'll fail on the first attempt to get them to ship your package. That's just reality.

I have some experience with this. You may not use the Postal Service to ship firearms unless you have an FFL. I believe the person you're sending it to must also have an FFL. The weapon must be declared.

If shipping via FedEx or UPS, if you're thinking you're going prepackage and label the weapon and drop it off, you might be in violation of the law. You have to declare that you're shipping a weapon. The person on the receiving end must be legally entitled to posses a firearm. You may ship a weapon to yourself at another location. For example, if you're going on a hunting trip.

The package may not have any ammunition in it.

Look at the website of the carrier you plan to use. The have instructions on how to ship firearms. Print out the instructions and bring it to the shipping location.

The OP was mistaken in his initial understanding. Several IC members posted the correct answer, but Frank took the time to provide the details behind it. (Thanks Frank!) I believe this settled the original question. All done.

To GodBlesstheUSA, Welcome to IllinoisCarry! There is a plethora of useful information here. But just as a constructive suggestion, it is usually better to take a more conciliatory tone when asking for advice. :) Let us know if any more questions. :thumbsup:

Thank you for the kind words, Xwing!

FedEx is NOT posted and that is where I ship firearms and most everything else. I don't spend money at UPS because they are posted. FedEx welcomes my firearms shipments and provides excellent service.

My local FedEx facility is posted. As well as the UPS hub. :-(

-- Frank

FedEx is NOT posted and that is where I ship firearms and most everything else. I don't spend money at UPS because they are posted. FedEx welcomes my firearms shipments and provides excellent service.

Maybe a local FedEx storefront isn't posred. But their main shipping centers are all posted. Corporate policy.

And both accept firearm shipments. They just don't allow concealed carry.

My sincerest apologies to the forum for being a bull in a China shop.

I was mistaken in my initial understanding, and I learned a lot already.

Thanks again to Frank and Xwing for the information.

I needed to ship one of my firearms back to Beretta for factory upgrades...

I know the main UPS hub in Palatine is a "Gun Free Zone" so I decided to patronize a UPS Store instead.

I was informed at the UPS Store that they "CAN NOT" ship firearms due to policy and that I needed to goto the hub instead.

When I went to the UPS hub, I left my EDC in my vehicle and went inside to inquire as to how to properly ship a firearm, considering they have a "Gun Free Zone" sign on their door.

The attendant said that the signs purpose was to prevent Concealed Carry while on the property, but I was allowed to bring in a firearm for shipment.

This made me very uneasy because the sign and law is VERY explicit about ANY firearms on UPS property.

UPS got my money, and I was able to ship a firearm back to the factory for upgrades, but the whole experience left me confused...

What is the purpose of posting a "Gun Free Zone" sign on the front door if UPS allows shipment of firearms?

Your thoughts?

The UPS store was correct...you have to go to a actual UPS counter to ship a firearm. And yes, even though they are posted you can still take a unloaded weapon boxed for shipment into the place to ship it.

https://www.ups.com/us/en/help-center/packaging-and-supplies/special-care-shipments/firearms.page?

Incidentally, you can also ship long arms through USPS even though it's a Federal felony to possess a firearm on USPS property. You might have to go to a couple before you find a clerk who understands their own regulations though.

https://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c4_009.htm

Archived