Ammo storage

illinois_buckeye

So question, where do you guys store ammo? New gun owner as of a couple of weeks ago.

I've got the most space to store it in my basement. But the basement can fluctuate a few degrees from the rest of the house and sometimes be a little more humid. Not a great deal more perhaps, but I can feel a few degrees difference than the main floor sometimes.

I've seen videos about wanting to keep them sealed up and dry etc. Was thinking we've actually got a nice igloo cooler that we've used once I think. Wondering if cleaning that up inside and storing unopened boxes as I stock up in there is a good idea.

Most people use ammo cans, but airtight coolers work, too. You can test if it's watertight, at least, by submerging it in a bathtub. Eventually you may decide you want to keep if locked up, like in a safe. (Eventually the legislature may tell you that you're a felon if you don't, but we're not quite there yet.)

You can get steel 50 cal ammo cans from Harbor Frieght for 13.99

https://www.harborfreight.com/Metal-050-Caliber-Ammo-Can-63750.html

I grab em when they have their coupons for 10.99 in my issues of american rifleman. You can also find the coupons occasionally on their web coupons:

https://www.harborfreight.com/savings_coupons.html

(Just checked..they have the 30 cal plastic cans for 3.49 (I also have a few of those))

And ya... I have a few of those 50 cal cans.  I like em..they are as good as any of the $20 cans.

If you are a Costco member, they have a 2 can package, 1 - .50 and 1 - .30 Cal. can for around $20.00 I believe. They are made in China, but are a pretty close copy of the G.I. cans.

Is everyone aware that Plano Molding in Plano,IL has an outlet store? The ONLY place to buy gun cases. Huge discounts, first quality goods.

You can find some good deals there but if it's a product they sell at Walmart down the street, it will be cheaper down the street.  (65" locking case:  $85 clearance, $65 Walmart.)  I inquired about this once and they told me they don't want to piss Walmart off as they're a huge customer.  Also, check the products over.  I was paying for a couple ammo boxes and noticed they didn't have seals.  I asked them to hold up while I grabbed ones with seals...  She told me, "None of them have seals.  That's why they're in clearance."

Archived