ISP announces new online CCL and FOID application process

Molly B.

So if we have FOID and CCL we will need to reregister on here? Hopefully it doesn't screw up any of our current cards.

All it means is after the change a digital ID will not be needed.

Your previous user name and ID won't work

If you never wish to login again nothing will change. If you wish to use it again after the change see below.

According to ISP, all new applicants and returning CCL applicants will need to register with the Illinois State Police by providing some key identifiers found on their Illinois Driver's License or Identification card, creating a username and password, and answering four security questions.

Thanks man, I'll tell him to wait.

Yes the new way would seem to be a better way to go.

"The CCL website will be unavailable beginning Friday, March 13, 2015, at 5 p.m., until Monday, March 16, 2015, at 7 a.m., in order to implement the new FOID system."

It is a shame that the Amish are forced to violate religious beliefs by being forced to use technology such as a phone in order to exercise their right to bear arms.

[/quote

I don't think even the Old Order Amish have an objection to using a public phone, though how far they'd have to go to find a pay phone is a good question. I think their objection is to having a land line, just as it is for being on the electric grid. Some do have generators and generate their own power. Their interpretation of Second Corinthians 6:14 which says "Be ye not unequally yoked with unbelievers: for what fellowship does light have with darkness" is different than most Christian theologians who would say that the passage applies to marriage, or maybe business partnerships not involving marrying a non-Christian or going into business with one, also education of children in public schools can be questioned as well. Most Amish also have their own grade schools. I am guessing that using someone elses phone or a public phone probably would be acceptable. I believe sometimes families will share a phone located outside their house. Given the number of telemarketer calls I get I can see some benefit to that.

RacerDave6,

Even when submitting a paper application you have to send a photo in with it. I expect they get an exemption to that. They may have an objection to using the internet. As I mentioned in my previous post Old Order Amish do use phones, but most won't have a land line phone or cell phone. That was confirmed by an article on Wikipedia titled Amish Life in the Modern World. The article said they used pay phones but since they are becoming less common sometimes several Amish families will share a phone in an out building mostly for making outgoing calls. It occurred to me that maybe in 20 years everyone but the Old Order Amish will be using cell phones and won't have a land line. Then the Old Order Amish will be the only ones interested in being on the land line. We have some New Order Amish living in our area. They have land line telephones, electricity and one I know of has a fax machine. None own cars but they have some very nice tractors they use on the highway pulling trailers (sometimes containing family) I also saw one talking on a bag cell phone in a farm store, I don't expect them to get into having an I-phone for a while though.

I'm curious how this is going to be handled for juveniles. "Minors under the age of 21 without a state of Illinois Driver's License or Identification card and Amish applicants will be required to complete an alternative call-in paper application." I guess this means that a notary isn't required to obtain FOID's for children any longer? Maybe I'll try the new system for my kiddos.

I wonder how this will impact getting FOIDs for small children. I know many on here have FOID cards for their very young children. I wonder if this call-in process will stop that. I think a FOID is helpful due to (720 ILCS 5/24-9) Sec. 24-9.

RacerDave6,

Even when submitting a paper application you have to send a photo in with it. I expect they get an exemption to that. They may have an objection to using the internet. As I mentioned in my previous post Old Order Amish do use phones, but most won't have a land line phone or cell phone. That was confirmed by an article on Wikipedia titled Amish Life in the Modern World. The article said they used pay phones but since they are becoming less common sometimes several Amish families will share a phone in an out building mostly for making outgoing calls. It occurred to me that maybe in 20 years everyone but the Old Order Amish will be using cell phones and won't have a land line. Then the Old Order Amish will be the only ones interested in being on the land line. We have some New Order Amish living in our area. They have land line telephones, electricity and one I know of has a fax machine. None own cars but they have some very nice tractors they use on the highway pulling trailers (sometimes containing family) I also saw one talking on a bag cell phone in a farm store, I don't expect them to get into having an I-phone for a while though.

JB - what you are calling "New Order Amish", are those the same as the Mennonites? I know that those folks already use phones, cars, and electricity and they are/were based on the Amish.

This is discrimination. It totally bites for those of us who are Hearing Impaired (me). What if someone has no computer, how are they supposed to do a phone interview? Do the electronic apps also require phone interview?

Is TDD still use?

Does ISP have a TDD #?

RD6: Thanks for the reply. I checked the ISP "Contact Info" nothing there regarding TDD. It is also outdated. TDD requires a land line. Who, has a land line these days? Not, me, but, I do have a TDD somewhere collecting dust. Thanks for bringing it up, now I wonder where it is. Maybe I can find some .22LR looking for it.

@Molly B. -

My wife tried to register tonight for a FOID, but she ran into a snag. She had a FOID years ago but has no record of the number at this point.

In registration you are asked if you have or have ever had a FOID, but if you answer yes you can't continue without a number.

Can you reach out to ISP and let them know about this? We also emailed ISP about it.

Thanks!

Wife just completed her FOID application. She has never had a FOID before so she didn't have HeavyDuty's problem. It was quite simple and painless actually. Spending 11 dollars (10 fee and 1 dollar for credit card fee) and having to get a FOID in the first place was not something we enjoyed but for now it is something we have to live with here in Illinois. Hopefully the turn around time will be much quicker.

I just registered and noticed my address appears as a hybrid of my current street address in IL, my city of legal residence in PA (which appears on my PA driver's license), and the IL zip code. Very strange. I emailed to see if ISP can correct this without having to pay the posted address change fee of $5.

I think there is a coding error that pulls the city name from the corresponding field associated with the driver's license, and all other address info from fields in either the mailing address or the FOID card record. The coders may not have anticipated these could be different and therefore didn't catch the error during beta testing.

Otherwise registration was very smooth.

Archived