What would you do if a mob multiple teenagers attacked you on the street?

CHICAGO HANDGUN OWNER

What would you do if a mob of multiple teenagers attacked you on the street? Would you take the beating or pull out your gun and start shooting? They are punching and kicking you but you don't see a weapon on them. I ask this question because it is a common occurrence in Chicago and a lot of unarmed victims just take a severe beating because they out numbered and over powered and the perps get away many times.

Several years ago a mob of teens attacked an elderly gentleman riding his bicycle home from work in Decatur. Their goal was money for pizza. They robbed and beat the man so severely that he died. Still lacking funds for their pizza party they proceeded to beat another gentleman sitting on a park bench and rob him as well. The little darlings were caught and while in jail one of them attacked a guard and another beat an inmate so bad he lost an eye. The guy on the bike was my age, I`ve been armed ever since. Disparity of numbers is justification for action.

I think the term that would apply is "disparity of force". Shooting Herve Velishev (Tattoo) for swatting your knee..that would be murder. Shooting a terrorist the size of Bruce Banner when he's the hulk and swinging a chain at your head...personally I'd say you're justified.

JMHO.....I'm not a lawyer

What would you do if a mob of multiple teenagers attacked you on the street? Would you take the beating or pull out your gun and start shooting? They are punching and kicking you but you don't see a weapon on them. I ask this question because it is a common occurrence in Chicago and a lot of unarmed victims just take a severe beating because they out numbered and over powered and the perps get away many times.

Fake News. This is not a "common occurrence".

While not a common occurrence, it is not an uncommon occurrence. Groups of "teens" have raged around the Hancock building several times in the past couple years. They have also raged around various train stations, shopping malls, etc.

Fake News? Not so much.

People who claim this is uncommon or that it is fake news are likely suburban or rural Illinois residents who have no clue about the high crime rate in Chicago. Just listen to the Chicago Police scanner on any night of the week to hear about the incredible violence going on all the time. Hundreds of violent crimes never even make it on the news.

Chicago Resident said "Conceal carry is not a license to kill. Read the law. Understand the law. Stop stroking your fantasy action movie scenarios where you get to shoot people and be a hero. Real life doesn't work like that". What the heck are you talking about? This is not a fantasy! This happens a lot in Chicago! I'm not trying to be a hero! I'm trying to stay alive!

Hi,

Drago's hit it.

If you follow Second City Cop over time, you conclude that Chicago media are significantly under-reporting wildings, group intrusions into businesses, and other mass criminal actions in the Loop, certain CTA stops, and even prominent locations like Watertower Place.

This suppression of selected news items is apparently done to avoid depressing tourist and other visitor interest in coming downtown.

And how many of those locations are Gun Free Zones??

FWIW.

Rich Phillips

While not a common occurrence, it is not an uncommon occurrence. Groups of "teens" have raged around the Hancock building several times in the past couple years. They have also raged around various train stations, shopping malls, etc.

Fake News? Not so much.

Something happening 3 times does not make it a common occurrence. You have a higher chance of getting hit by lightning. I'm not seeing threads started about how to protect yourself from lightning.

People who claim this is uncommon or that it is fake news are likely suburban or rural Illinois residents who have no clue about the high crime rate in Chicago. Just listen to the Chicago Police scanner on any night of the week to hear about the incredible violence going on all the time. Hundreds of violent crimes never even make it on the news.

We all have confirmation bias.

Is crime under-reported? Yes, I can say that for a fact. It's not a thing that happens only in Chicago, but everywhere, even in small towns.

But to have some weird fantasy about defending yourself from a group of unarmed teens makes no sense. I don't dream about ways to use my gun, I stay alert and pay attention to my surroundings so that I will never have to.

Raw Power said "But to have some weird fantasy about defending yourself from a group of unarmed teens makes no sense. I don't dream about ways to use my gun, I stay alert and pay attention to my surroundings so that I will never have to." I have no fantasy about anything dude! I don't dream about using my gun! This is survival in the city!

Something happening 3 times does not make it a common occurrence. You have a higher chance of getting hit by lightning. I'm not seeing threads started about how to protect yourself from lightning.

Because this isn't the "Natural Disasters" forum, it's Illinois Carry, as in, carry a gun to defend yourself. Stop with the straw man arguments.

Hi,

I'm going to speculate that the attitudes -- and resultant answers -- about this issue vary to some degree in relation to the distance an individual responder lives from the Loop.

For those would work or live in today's Chicago, there is a certain reality orientation that can focus your thinking on an issue like this in a certain way. While not statistically frequent, it doesn't take many such incidents to heighten your awareness of the possibility that it could happen to you.

Just saying...

Rich Phillips

Archived