Amy Coney Barrett Describes Her Biggest 7th Circ. Cases

mauserme

https://www.law360.com/illinois/articles/1315889/how-amy-coney-barrett-describes-her-biggest-7th-circ-cases

How Amy Coney Barrett Describes Her Biggest 7th Circ. Cases

By Andrew Kragie

Law360 (October 1, 2020, 10:33 PM EDT) -- In the first step of her U.S. Supreme Court confirmation process, Judge Amy Coney Barrett has submitted a 65-page Senate questionnaire that includes a first-person account of the 10 most significant cases she handled since joining the Seventh Circuit three years ago.

The Judiciary Committee released Judge Barrett's updated questionnaire late Tuesday ahead of hearings set to start Oct. 12 as Republicans seek the fastest high court confirmation in four decades.

She identified her most significant case as Kanter v. Barr , a gun-rights challenge in which she dissented:

"Rickey Kanter challenged the application of federal and state felon dispossession laws to prevent him — a nonviolent offender — from owning a firearm, arguing that these laws violated his Second Amendment rights. He had previously been convicted of mail fraud for selling therapeutic shoe inserts while misrepresenting them as Medicare-approved. A panel of the Seventh Circuit held that the application of the statutes was substantially related to the important governmental objective of preventing gun violence. I dissented. Looking to the Founding-era history, l explained that legislatures have the power to prohibit dangerous people from possessing guns, but that power extends only to people who are dangerous, not to nonviolent felons like Mr. Kanter."

what really upsets me about Kanter, is that Kanter's lawyers were FOOLs. I had the nearly identical case, except, that instead of ripping people off to the tune of MILLIONS of dollars, like Kanter did, my client got about $1,600.00 he was not entitled to. Relative pocket change. I even won in the trial court. But Kanter got to the Seventh Circuit 3 months before I did. And SCREWED IT UP.

Maybe the result would have been different. Maybe the same. But its a heck of a lot easier to say that a guy that got $1,600 wrongly and never spent an hour in jail should not lose his civil rights, than a guy that stole a few million and was locked up.

Archived