Former IL Supreme Court Chief Justice Karmeier to resign

Chief Illiniwek

Former Chief Justice Lloyd Karmeier announced he'll resign his seat on the court effective Dec. 6, 2020. His term expires in 2024. He's requested his seat be filled by election, rather than appointment. He cited age as a factor. "I'm 79 years old and if i stay I'd be 84 when the term ends. I don't want to be on the court when someone might question whether or not I'm as strong or as alert or able to do the job, I'd rather go out when I think I'm still at the top of my game."

Former Chief Justice Lloyd Karmeier announced he'll resign his seat on the court effective Dec. 6, 2020. His term expires in 2024. He's requested his seat be filled by election, rather than appointment. He cited age as a factor. "I'm 79 years old and if i stay I'd be 84 when the term ends. I don't want to be on the court when someone might question whether or not I'm as strong or as alert or able to do the job, I'd rather go out when I think I'm still at the top of my game."

He needs a lunch date with RBG and give her some advice.

• 4 weeks later...
"He's requested his seat be filled by election, rather than appointment", Does it matter what he prefers?
Yes. I'd rather have him elected (who votes for state Supreme Court justices? No one, except people like us) than appointed by either Pritzker or whomever is in charge of that (judges voting? Still don't like it). Outcome will be much better if it's an election.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Republican Appellate Court Judge John Barberis is running for this. I know he is a strong believer in the 2nd Amendment.

Then obviously he won't be appointed.

Illinois Supreme Court justices are elected, as prescribed in the Illinois Constitution.

SECTION 12. ELECTION AND RETENTION (a ) Supreme, Appellate and Circuit Judges shall be nominated at primary elections or by petition. Judges shall be elected at general or judicial elections as the General Assembly shall provide by law. A person eligible for the office of Judge may cause his name to appear on the ballot as a candidate for Judge at the primary and at the general or judicial elections by submitting petitions. The General Assembly shall prescribe by law the requirements for petitions.

See also - https://ballotpedia.org/Illinois_Supreme_Court

Archived