A Thread For IGOLD Newbies

Lou

Drylock started a thread I've been meaning to start up. For those who of you who will be going to their first IGOLD here is everything you need to know but didn't want to ask from some of us IGOLD veterans.

This from DRYLOCK:

We know what they say about Illinois weather but at least for the moment it looks like it's going to be pretty decent. For those who haven't been before, dress in layers. While it is generally cold or cool outside this time of year the capitol building is hotter than the hinges of Hades. Thought I'd give a fair warning.

When you enter the Prairie Capital Convention Center after your long ride the first thing you will seek is the bathroom. They are either downstairs or upstairs in the mezzanine level.

Get that out of the way and then visit the Illinois Carry table in the foyer and buy your raffle tickets, Illinois Carry Hat or pins. IGOLD shirts will also be available inside the PCCC at the ISRA table. Gold is the color of the day!

As Drylock said, dress in layers as you need to keep warm for the mile or so march but he Capitol building gets REALLY warm with all of us freedom loving people in there. Wear comfortable shoes because if you march the mile to the Capitol you need to march the mile back at the end. Buses will be available for those who are tired or cannot walk that far. The march is at a leisurely pace.

As far as dress, be comfortable but please do not dress in camos or tactical wear unless you really want to be in every 6 PM news-clip and MSM photo. They really do seek out the MSM stereotypes. Jeans and a decent shirt are fine.

When you enter the PCCC you will be handed an information packet. Bring a pen and 4 to 6 return address labels. There are 4 cards in there that are to be filled out and handed in to your elected representative plus the Speaker Of The House and the Senate President. It save a lot of writing to just slap a return address label on rather than writing it out 4 times. If you do not know who your rep. or senator is there will be Illinois Carry people right inside the door who can look that up for you.

Another hint is to write the location of your Rep and Senator's office on the back of the card so you know where to go when you enter the Capitol Bldg. You'll know where the speaker's office and the president's office is because they will have lines in front waiting to get in. They do move quickly.

There will be lines to get in the Capitol but if we all work together they go fast. No guns, knifes, bazookas or signs on sticks. Even a flag on a flagpole will not be admitted. There are multiple entrances in through the main Capitol building, the Howlett building and the Stratton Building. Some of us experienced folk bring a zip lock baggy to throw out pocket change, watch, cell phone and anything else that will set off the metal detector in. Some folks just throw them into their hat and that works too. Just know that if you bring that rodeo championship belt buckle you will have to take your belt off and if your pants fall down... well I don't wanna see it. The metal detectors are not as sensation as those in the airports so you don't have to take your shoes off unless they have steel toes or whatever.

As a rule, I've found that the SOS officers who man the checkpoints are really on our side as are the Springfield officers who clear traffic for us. Thank them and let them know you appreciate their support.

Most of all have fun and know that your presence does make a difference. Write your elected officials ahead of time and let them know your are coming to meet with them. Do not be disappointed if they are not in the office when you get there. They do have sessions or committee meetings they need to be at. I sometime have the sneaking suspicion that the so-called leaders schedule the sessions and committee meeting so that it conflicts with IGOLD . No proof but just a hunch.

ABOLT - Molly - MikeW please jump in and add to whatever I've missed.

It also came to my attention last year that there are no maps available at the Capitol of where any of the rooms are, so knowing ahead of time who you are looking for and what their office number is helps.

(Great thread, BTW)

Check with the information desk downstairs or any of the IGOLD Marshals in the black IGOLD hats. They will have a list of offices and can help in finding them. There are some really hidden hidy holes in the Capitol building, sometimes the best people to ask are the maintenance staff. They know every nook and cranny!

Tim

Also at the convention center we'll have more tickets for that Emp and DXM for sale. Drawing is at the conclusion of IGOLD when we get back to the center. Another tip is to bring some bottled water. The pop machine in the convention center is really pricey as far as soda goes. Good post Lou!

I will be attending with my 5 yr old daughter, Is it ok to have a small back pack with snaks and stuff for her, or are packs frowned upon due to the extended search time to get into the building. P.S. Thanks for this thread!

It won't be a problem. It would be best if it were of a size that would fit through the x-ray machine. Otherwise, they might pull you off to the side to look in the bag. By all means, bring that little girl and whatever it takes to keep her comfortable. As Lou said, the securtity there is not as strict as that in an airport. And, the SoS guys are good guys and brag on the "gun folks" every year.

On a related note, I'm kinda' partial to Hostess Cupcakes!!

Tim

I've been told the Effingham bus is full. There will be a bus leaving from Shelbyville at 7:30 and making a stop in the Mt. Zion/South Decatur area as it heads to S-field. Contact is Jim Warren, (217) 774-2560. If you can't catch Jim, drop me a PM, or e-mail or call me at 217-825-4950 and I'll get more info and get you reserved on the bus.

Tim

One more tip, bring a friend or 2 or 10! thumbsup.png

I sent out 200 invites to my friends and family through an event I created on facebook. They passed it along and Last I checked up to 375 had been invited and 18 confirmed yes another 18 or so confirmed maybe. I know for sure my neighbor is going, because he is driving me and the kid to the bus! Oh and I dropped off a flier at the local gas station and he scanned it in, and has it as a scrolling ad on his Marquee.

It also came to my attention last year that there are no maps available at the Capitol of where any of the rooms are, so knowing ahead of time who you are looking for and what their office number is helps.

(Great thread, BTW)

[/quote)

I asked about maps in the past and was told that there weren't any for security reasons.

Hopefully this will be the LAST ever IGOLD !

that's the wrong attitude to have. Hopefully this is the last IGOLD where we are marching for CC. Next yr repeal the FOID! Yr after that, you get the picture. Once we get CC that is when the real work will begin!

Never stop until all gun laws are history. Anything more than the second amendment is illegal. Hopefully at some point we will be CCing and or OCing while at IGOLD

Never stop until all gun laws are history. Anything more than the second amendment is illegal. Hopefully at some point we will be CCing and or OCing while at IGOLD

You are quite the optimist. :headbang1: Texas is the only state I'm aware of where CC is legal within the capital building. But I'd sure be happy if I had the legal ability to CC by next IGOLD, even if I had to leave it locked in the car while I talked to the legislators.

PARKING info:

There is a multi level parking garage next to the PCCC. There are a few surface level parking lots but some are private.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Plaza Parking Garage is located on the West side of The Center. The garage has entrances on Seventh Street and Washington Street. The maximum height clearance for the garage is 6' 6".

Hours

The Plaza Parking Garage is a fully automated garage, operating 24 hours a day. There are no attendants on duty, however we have 24 hour security on property should any problems arise.

Instructions

If you parked in our Plaza Parking Garage, you will need to take the spitter ticket you received upon entry to one of the yellow Pay on Foot Stations before returning to your car.* No cash will be accepted at the exit gate. The Pay on Foot Stations accept CASH, VISA, MASTERCARD and DISCOVER and are located near each stairwell in the garage on the street level (Level 3) and one is in the PCCC Main Lobby for your convenience.

After you have paid, you will have 15 minutes to exit the garage without incurring additional fees. When you exit, simply insert your prepaid ticket into the machine and the gate will open.

* If you would like a receipt, press the button on the Pay Station labeled receipt. The exit gate will not issue you a receipt if you have paid at the Pay on Foot Station.

Fees

A Lost Ticket will result in an automatic charge of $25. You may obtain a Lost Ticket Voucher at any of the Pay on Foot Stations by pressing the “Lost Ticket” button.

Minimum Charge: $0.75 per hour.

Maximum Charge: $7.00 per day.

Event Parking: $5.00 per event. (Rates may vary depending upon event.)

Monthly Parking: $60.00 per month or per Value Pass. Please visit or call The Center Box Office for more details, 217-788-8814, ext 210.

If you would like to pay for your attendees parking, please contact the Box Office at 217-788-8814, ext 210 to make arrangements.

General Information

Handicap Accessible Parking is available on the South side of each level, located near the elevator.

The Plaza Parking Garage/Prairie Capital Convention Center is not responsible for fire, theft, or damage to vehicle, it's electrical equipment, or contents of said vehicle.

See if this link works for you = Google Search

Somewhere on there they have a search feature where you can put restaurants in. I remember a Bennigans right there.

Anyone else have suggestions other than the concessions inside?

Go to google map, search for " restaurants near prairie capital convention center, springfield, IL". There's a bennigans, starbucks and lindsay's within a half block of the center. Lots of others along the route.

Always the capital cafeteria in the tunnel if you can wait that long. Might rub shoulders with some legislators hiding hanging out down there!!

Tim

See if this link works for you = Google Search

Somewhere on there they have a search feature where you can put restaurants in. I remember a Bennigans right there.

Anyone else have suggestions other than the concessions inside?

Go to google map, search for " restaurants near prairie capital convention center, springfield, IL". There's a bennigans, starbucks and lindsay's within a half block of the center. Lots of others along the route.

Always the capital cafeteria in the tunnel if you can wait that long. Might rub shoulders with some legislators hiding hanging out down there!!

Tim

Ah yes the tunnell, haven't been there since my 4th grade field trip. I remember if vividly!

Last year was my first year at IGOLD. I had a blast. Last time I was at the capitol before that was in '69(I think!). I was 8 years old. Everything seems so much bigger when you're a kid. Be prepared to learn. I found even the most trivial of historical items very interesting, and what a beautiful building!

I will be attending with my 5 yr old daughter, Is it ok to have a small back pack with snaks and stuff for her, or are packs frowned upon due to the extended search time to get into the building. P.S. Thanks for this thread!

I've brought a backpack before. No problem. It just goes through the X-ray.

You are quite the optimist. B) Texas is the only state I'm aware of where CC is legal within the capital building. But I'd sure be happy if I had the legal ability to CC by next IGOLD, even if I had to leave it locked in the car while I talked to the legislators.

Hey! Gun lockers at the capitol building.

Archived