Chicago Firearm Meetup

VVelox

I am curious, what do you all think of the idea of a Chicago firearm meetup?

Basically the idea is to create a environment for firearm owners/users to come together as well as the curious to come and socialize in a low pressure atmosphere. The purpose of this is to provide a gateway for the curious into firearms ownership as well as provide a educational resource.

Basically I plan to have some various fact sheets, copies of the FOID app, and other information hand outs for any one who comes and is curious.

The time/place I am thinking is 19:00 on 2013-02-21 at the Billy Goat Tavern at 330 S Wells St. And then making it a monthly thing. I'll be the big dude with the big broad brimmed black hat.

Also if any one else would like to get involved, I would greatly appreciate it.

If any of you are curious about the origin of this idea, here is the post over it I did on THR.

http://www.thehighro...ad.php?t=693215

This is a great idea. Given your stated purpose, we'd really want to make sure we don't present ourselves as a bunch of wild-eyed gun nuts.

For anyone that brings fact-sheets, make sure they are confirmed facts. Too often I see bogus stuff being presented as fact and it only serves to marginalize us.

Remember, we are in the belly of the beast.

Thanks for proposing this, VVelox.

Maybe it's just me, but seeing that it's their business, it's the polite thing to do.

I mean, if they won't let you do it with permission, they probably won't let you do it without permission.

I think it's a great idea, but it'd be a shame to have people show-up only to find out you've been asked to move somewhere else.

Having organized similar kinds of meetups at coffee shops, bowling alleys etc, I can offer some insight. You dont need to ask permission to meet there, but giving them a call and asking if there's any special policies they have for people who want to meet isn't a terrible idea.

If it's a one time thing, you probably dont need to bother, but if you want to do it every month or something, then it would be a friendly courtesy.

You had me until the address, I avoid down town like the plague. Too much traffic, too much people, litter, parking tickets, congestion, high blood pressure. I need to get outta here!

This is a great idea. Given your stated purpose, we'd really want to make sure we don't present ourselves as a bunch of wild-eyed gun nuts.

For anyone that brings fact-sheets, make sure they are confirmed facts. Too often I see bogus stuff being presented as fact and it only serves to marginalize us.

Remember, we are in the belly of the beast.

Thanks for proposing this, VVelox.

Yeah. Which is why it is important to be as low key about it all. Basically find a table or two to huddle around around and chat, while ordering food/drink and being sure not to do any thing to draw attention. To help find the place you have something like a specific hat/tie/book/etc present on the table or some one wearing it. From my experience this has worked awesomely for groups that have not grown large enough to have to worry about meeting logistics yet.

This is why if the size permits it is good to hold it at a place were there is no assigned tables etc as it really simplifies organization as one does not have to worry about reserving space.

Once my weekend starts at 07:00 tomorrow, I will sit down and start working on writing the fact sheet up.

That is valentines day for any of you with SO and or wives. Differnt day I might be able to swing it....this day. I'm out. I am still all for an open holster rally at some point.

Ack! Missed that, thanks. So the 21st is looking good.

In regards to open holster stuff at something like this, a bit of a bad idea as the point is to slip in under the radar and not attract any attention to the group. Similar to no sceneing or wearing interesting clothing at a munch.

You had me until the address, I avoid down town like the plague. Too much traffic, too much people, litter, parking tickets, congestion, high blood pressure. I need to get outta here!

I picked the location as it is easy to access from any where in Chicago via public transit. I figure equal transit annoyance for most people. :)

Also at 19:00 there is a very notable people and traffic drop off.

I've also frequent that the place at that time once a month, also on a Thursday at 19:00, with a as many coworkers as me and a few others can round up for drinks. To date it has always had plenty of available setting at that time. Cheap beer as well.

I would be more inclined to attend somewhere not in the loop and at a spot with a good to acceptable beer selection. The Goat is fun and famous... And the burgers are OK and I've been going there since 1974... But the selection of beer is abysmal.

Dive bars I've enjoyed:

Rabbit's @ Foster and Elston

Christine's @ Kedzie and Grace

Both have outstanding and nicely priced burgers. Good Craft and Macro beer selection at Rabbit's. $3 Guinness at Christine's. Both have open seating. In sure there are others.

It's a great idea, but I'll pass because of the location. I work in Arlington Heights and only go that far East on weeknights for the Bears, and that's only three or four times a year.

I'm on board for meets further West if you are open to moving the venue around occasionally. That's also a good way for us non-natives to find the spots that would otherwise require twenty years to happen upon.

I'm also open to volunteering myself to assist in prep and arrangements for events I plan to attend.

I will also pass. I don't spend any money in chicago unless its an emergency. I even work in the city. Perhaps a more gun friendly environment would be better?

You guys are missing the point.

You are borrowing this idea from the BDSM community? It says that in your other thread on another board.

http://www.thehighro...ad.php?t=693215

"I think the time has come to borrow an idea from the BDSM community, specifically the idea of a munch. In the BDSM community a munch is a low key/pressure get together at a bar/restaurant to socialize and discuss things. This allows the novices and curious a chance to ask questions and the experienced a chance to socialize."

What is this, some kind of alternative lifestyle event? I'm all about getting together to discuss firearms and the like but What the hey!!! are you coming from, especially being new here and having so few posts to try to be organizing an event like this? Setting a date on Valentine's day at the Billy Goat Tavern? What is your real agenda, to discuss forearms or pick up people for your alternative lifestyle? I don't know about the rest of you but I don't like this one bit.

For those of you who may have overlooked this or don't know what BDSM is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bdsm

Maybe I'm way off here but I really want some real clarification from the OP.

Archived