Citibank Decides to Pass Its own Gun Control

evilbrownrifle

Citi’s new “US Commercial Firearms Policy” requires firearms only be sold to people age 21 or older, that gun purchasers pass a background check, and restricts sales of bump stocks or “high-capacity magazines.”[/size]

Corbat, who claims to be “an avid outdoorsman and responsible gun owner,” says the new restrictions are a great compromise for Second Amendment advocates and anti-gunners.[/size]

“We don’t have the perfect solution to supporting our Constitution while keeping our children and grandchildren safe,” he writes, adding, “But we shouldn’t let that stop us from doing our part.”

https://www.infowars.com/citigroup-imposes-restrictions-on-client-gun-sales/

Maybe gun owners need to contact their legislators where it does any good and suggest we need more govt. bank control.

Could pressuring merchants to engage in age discrimination result in Citi bank ending up as a party to numerous lawsuits in numerous states due to such an act being in direct violation of age discrimination laws of numerous states including but not limited to Oregon.

Other than perception, this sounds like a “nothing burger”. I’m a bit torn as I like my Costco executive membership and the annual cash benefit runs about $1500. That usually goes to my gun/fun stash.

To those talking about unused credit limits being reduced- almost all banks did this post financial meltdown. It was driven by Dodd-frank balance sheet restrictions. We were awash in credit with little to no insight on total exposure and true risk. That contributed to meltdown.

The unused and unsecured credit was a potential black hole of loss as the economy and jobs tanked. If you used your credit, they did not change things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's a lot of people here and other forums thinking that if they play little games with their accounts they're really going to stick it to Citi. Stop brain *ukin this.

The only thing that will get their attention is if you CALL them and CLOSE or transfer away your account.

Anything else will be an unnoticed number in a database somewhere at best and will probably only hurt you via your credit score.

I'm trying to wrap my head around a CEO/corporation doing this ridiculous virtue signaling. I can't imagine a single new customer getting a CiTi card simply because of this policy, but quite a few existing customers leaving, as shown in this thread. What's the end game here, the CEO should have one concern and that's their share holders. I can't see anyway this move helps their stock price.

I'm trying to wrap my head around a CEO/corporation doing this ridiculous virtue signaling. I can't imagine a single new customer getting a CiTi card simply because of this policy, but quite a few existing customers leaving, as shown in this thread. What's the end game here, the CEO should have one concern and that's their share holders. I can't see anyway this move helps their stock price.

It's probably about shareholders and the political statement a board of directors wants to make, and not at all about cardholders.

It's probably about shareholders and the political statement a board of directors wants to make, and not at all about cardholders.

Well that was my point how does this position very unlikely to attract new customers and likely to at least lose a few existing customers benefit share holders?

Well that was my point how does this position very unlikely to attract new customers and likely to at least lose a few existing customers benefit share holders?

I'm guessing the Citi BoD just wants to make a point and they've calculated it won't cost that much.

When Delta was penalized by Georgia for taking a stance on the NRA it cost them $50 million or so... Delta's 2017 4th quarter pre tax revenue was up by $1 billion. A loss of $50 million looks huge. It isn't. They just pass it on. Profit sharing is still up. Same with Citi. There will be new clients that like their stance. They are pretty Global. You or me or all of us moving our tiny accounts means nothing to them.

Personally, I prefer the attitude of Starbucks who refused to cave to those who wanted them to ban guns in their stores a couple years ago. Are they still gun neutral? I'd hate to even think about giving up my daily Starbucks French Roast fix.

Costco policy prohibits firearms to be brought into the warehouse, except in the case of authorized law enforcement officers.

Basically if you are going to boycott Citi, I suggest you also boycott Costco.

I'm not sure about all Costco warehouses, but the one where I shop is not posted...

Mine, in Chicago, is also not posted.

Read your membership agreement, they are GFZs.

Plus look closer for signage, I always thought the Oak Brook one didn't have it but it is posted.

http://www.2acheck.com/boycott-costco/

If mine is posted, it is not posted in a conspicuous manner. I'll check again on my next visit. If it's not posted, I will continue to carry.

Read your membership agreement, they are GFZs.

Plus look closer for signage, I always thought the Oak Brook one didn't have it but it is posted.

http://www.2acheck.com/boycott-costco/

I'm sure that's all accurate, Mick G... not gonna dispute that at all. I've been a member since '96, and it auto-renews, so my membership agreement has long since been disposed of... probably left in my shopping cart the day I signed up, lol. Who reads all that anyway?

I'll be sure to scour the entrance next time I'm there though, just to be sure. Even though that's their written policy, if it's not posted the way the law states it must be, I'm sure that means there are lots of us carrying in there. I'm not about to point it out to them or ask about it if they're not posted.

Thank you for the heads-up!

I'm guessing the Citi BoD just wants to make a point and they've calculated it won't cost that much.

When Delta was penalized by Georgia for taking a stance on the NRA it cost them $50 million or so... Delta's 2017 4th quarter pre tax revenue was up by $1 billion. A loss of $50 million looks huge. It isn't. They just pass it on. Profit sharing is still up. Same with Citi. There will be new clients that like their stance. They are pretty Global. You or me or all of us moving our tiny accounts means nothing to them.

Personally, I prefer the attitude of Starbucks who refused to cave to those who wanted them to ban guns in their stores a couple years ago. Are they still gun neutral? I'd hate to even think about giving up my daily Starbucks French Roast fix.

Starbucks is not neutral... Anti-Gun Commies...

Boycotting Costco sounds like a good idea. Sam's Club does not prohibit concealed carry in any of their stores I have been in and I don't need a Citi Card to shop there. I think I will go back to my AmEx to replace my Citi Black Card I just sent back since Costco and Citi hurt them. An enemy of my enemy is my ally.

If not actually posted, I would think that the most Costco could do is cancel your membership for violation of the terms of service.

That's the way I see it. And besides, concealed is concealed. They're none the wiser unless SHTF...

I'm not so sure we can be so cavalier about carry where it is posted. In some states you can lose the privilege to carry if you are on a civilian carry permit, and I believe in some you can actually be arrested. At a minimum, if you actually discharged the weapon, you would most likely go to jail and if you shot someone, you would lose the advantage of whatever concealed carry protection coverage you might of had.

"I'm not so sure we can be so cavalier about carry where it is posted. In some states you can lose the privilege to carry if you are on a civilian carry permit, and I believe in some you can actually be arrested. At a minimum, if you actually discharged the weapon, you would most likely go to jail and if you shot someone, you would lose the advantage of whatever concealed carry protection coverage you might of had."

Let me clarify... If it is posted, I will not carry. I'm not about to risk losing my privilege by blatantly ignoring a sign. Period.

My discussion was about whether Costco is posted at their entrances. If it is in their membership agreement that is given to you when you sign up, that's not compliant with the law, especially if they only updated that agreement and put it in writing a few years ago. You don't receive new documentation each year you renew. Mick says his Costco is posted. Soundguy says his isn't. I'm fairly certain mine isn't either, but if it is, I won't carry. You're correct, Chance... It's not worth risking. I'm sorry I wasn't clear on that.

If not actually posted, I would think that the most Costco could do is cancel your membership for violation of the terms of service.

That's the way I see it. And besides, concealed is concealed. They're none the wiser unless SHTF...

I'm not so sure we can be so cavalier about carry where it is posted. In some states you can lose the privilege to carry if you are on a civilian carry permit, and I believe in some you can actually be arrested. At a minimum, if you actually discharged the weapon, you would most likely go to jail and if you shot someone, you would lose the advantage of whatever concealed carry protection coverage you might of had.

If they conspicuously posted with an improper sign I would obey. Having their wishes buried in a membership agreement... maybe I should comply but it seems like a wink wink nod nod. I’m guessing if it’s not important enough (even at the Chicago store) to conspicuously post a no carry sign, it must not be that important to them.

If you recall the Jewel thread... they post a non compliant sticker near the doors which applies only to employees and vendors.

"I'm not so sure we can be so cavalier about carry where it is posted. In some states you can lose the privilege to carry if you are on a civilian carry permit, and I believe in some you can actually be arrested. At a minimum, if you actually discharged the weapon, you would most likely go to jail and if you shot someone, you would lose the advantage of whatever concealed carry protection coverage you might of had."

Let me clarify... If it is posted, I will not carry. I'm not about to risk losing my privilege by blatantly ignoring a sign. Period.

My discussion was about whether Costco is posted at their entrances. If it is in their membership agreement that is given to you when you sign up, that's not compliant with the law, especially if they only updated that agreement and put it in writing a few years ago. You don't receive new documentation each year you renew. Mick says his Costco is posted. Soundguy says his isn't. I'm fairly certain mine isn't either, but if it is, I won't carry. You're correct, Chance... It's not worth risking. I'm sorry I wasn't clear on that.

Sorry guys, I screwed up my quotes and edit. But, that ⬆️

Let's say you're buying a firearm from a GunBroker seller and planning to pay for it with your Citi card, which I had planned to do in the next couple of days. The seller gets paid for the firearm, but the background check isn't performed until you visit your FFL to inspect the purchase. How is that going to work?

Going back to my original post in this thread, I made that purchase on GunBroker today, and I paid using my Citibank Visa. Looks like everything went through fine, so far. I can’t imagine that they’ll suddenly void the purchase. Guess I won’t know for sure until my FFL receives it, but I doubt there’ll be any issue...

Just to stoke my own fire, this is on the Costco website:

Personal Firearms/Guns in Costco Stores

Costco Wholesale is a membership-only warehouse club. It is not open to the general public. It restricts membership to a limited group of qualified individuals who agree to membership conditions. We have the right and the obligation to our members, to enact and enforce membership rules. The Member Service Employees at the exit doors are obliged to follow these rules. By obtaining a Costco membership card, our members agree to comply with the Membership Rules and the Privileges and Conditions of membership.

Costco does not believe that it is necessary for firearms to be brought into its warehouse stores, except in the case of authorized law enforcement officers. For the protection of all our members and employees, we feel this is a reasonable and prudent precaution to ensure a pleasant shopping experience and safe workplace. Our policy is meant to protect our members and employees in all warehouses around the world. This is not a new policy and we do not customize the policy for each individual city/county/state/country where we do business.

Our primary goal at Costco Wholesale is to keep our members happy. If you believe that our policy restricting members from bringing firearms into our warehouse stores is either unfair or excessively burdensome, or you cannot agree to abide by this policy, or you are dissatisfied for any other reason, Costco will promptly refund your annual membership fee in full.

My point was while a lot of people are bent at Citibank, nobody even knows that Costco is probably the puppet master behind this.

Off topic. I may be wrong (it happens every once in a while) but I recall reading somewhere that these “private” “membership” clubs like Costco cannot deny service / selling alcohol products to non-members / the general public. Something about some law against requiring “membership fees” to buy alcohol products???

Why relevant?? If that is true, and the place is NOT posted - their membership agreement means squat to non-members just using them for alcohol purchases.

Going back to my original post in this thread, I made that purchase on GunBroker today, and I paid using my Citibank Visa. Looks like everything went through fine, so far. I can’t imagine that they’ll suddenly void the purchase. Guess I won’t know for sure until my FFL receives it, but I doubt there’ll be any issue...

My understanding is that Citi's new policy applies to Citi clients, not Citi customers. As a cardholder, you are a customer, not a client.

Your seller is potentially a Citi client (if they allow you to pay them with a credit card, which you said they did). If they are a Citi client and they sell long guns to 18-20 year olds, magazines over 10 rounds, etc., by Citi's new policy that seller needs to find a new payment processor. If they aren't a Citi client, Citi doesn't care that you bought a gun (at least not by their new policy). Citi is targeting the sellers, not the buyers.

The decision you get to make is if you want the 3% credit card fee to go to Citi or if you want to get someone else's card (which also isn't a Citi card in disguise, like a Best Buy card, etc.).

re Costco, dont know about alcohol but non members can use the pharmacy.

FAQ: Costco's pharmacies are open to non-members where required by state law. The Costco Member Prescription Program is a value added benefit of a Costco membership. However, you do not have to become a Costco member or join CMPP to continue buying prescriptions at the pharmacy.

Good info on the Costco/Citi relationship I had no idea. I even though I see it all too often I'm still amazed by people who think a GFZ sign is going to "protect members and employees"

Because, they can't fathom being able to responsively own and use a firearm, thus think EVERYONE is like them. If there is one thing that is consistent with leftists, it is they fervently believe they at morally superior. Many of them also have little to no impulse or self control (and it is getting worse). So, if they think they would yank out their gun whenever they get angry, naturally, they think we, morally inferior must even be worse.

The deal was this, this person was a CCL holder themselves.

They understood what I was saying and actually said Wow, I never thought about the pharmacy angle.

Then they told me about the two incidents that happened at that store since IL got CC.

Two people were seriously printing so it was very obvious as to what was going on.

hy relevant?? If that is true, and the place is NOT posted - their membership agreement means squat to non-members just using them for alcohol purchases.

I do not understand the reasons to mention pharmacy and alcohol. The word pharmacy does not appear in the FCCA. Alcohol consumption on site sales in Costco does not exceed 50%.

The FCCA does not address "printing", directly. It uses " completely or mostly concealed from view of the public".

​I do not care whether or not the management or corporate likes guns. If they decide to post, then that changes my actions.

Archived