Photo

Import Ban

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

#1 SmershAgent

• Members
  • 4,376 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 10:37 AM

Is this going to take anything more than Obama signing a piece of paper?

Do we have any recourse?

Does anyone have any idea of when this is going down?

http://www.dallasnew...n1.4a9ea03.html

Mexico applauds U.S. vow to enforce long-ignored weapons ban

12:00 AM CST on Saturday, February 28, 2009

Traci Carl, The Associated Press

MEXICO CITY – President Felipe Calderón said that his police and soldiers are dangerously outgunned because U.S. authorities are failing to stop the smuggling of high-powered weapons into Mexico. His attorney general called for more aggressive prosecutions of gun smugglers, saying that the U.S. constitutional right to bear arms doesn't protect them.

Soldiers guarded weapons seized from the Gulf cartel in Mexico City in November. The nation wants the U.S. to do more to halt the southern flow of guns and ammunition.

"The Second Amendment was not put there to arm foreign criminal groups," Attorney General Eduardo Medina Mora said.

Calderón has complained for two years that the U.S. isn't carrying its weight in the cross-border drug war, despite the fact that American drug users ultimately finance the cartels.

"I'm fighting corruption among Mexican authorities and risking everything to clean house, but I think a good cleaning is in order on the other side of the border," Calderón said.

A U.S. government report released Friday found nearly all of Mexico's increasing drug killings involved weapons from north of the border.

President Barack Obama's administration is beginning to respond. On Wednesday, U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder promised to enforce a long-ignored ban on importing assault weapons, many of which are resold illegally and smuggled into Mexico to resupply the cartels.

Calderón applauded Holder's announcement as "the first time ... in many years that the American government is starting to show more commitment."

Holder announced Wednesday that the Drug Enforcement Administration had rounded up 755 suspected Sinaloa cartel members and seized more than $59 million in drug money in the past 21 months.

Congress is also paying attention. Lawmakers included $10 million in the economic stimulus package for Project Gunrunner, a federal crackdown on U.S. gun-trafficking networks.

Cartels turn to the U.S. because Mexico's gun laws are much stricter – gun buys must be pre-approved by the Mexican defense department and are limited to light weapons, no higher than the standard .38-caliber. Larger calibers are considered military weapons and are off-limits to civilians.

Traci Carl,

The Associated Press

My right to own a gun protects your right to tell me I can't

#2 mack69

"The fuzzy one"

• 4,319 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 10:47 AM

I haven't seen or heard anything regarding this since last week.

Cartels turn to the U.S. because Mexico's gun laws are much stricter – gun buys must be pre-approved by the Mexican defense department and are limited to light weapons, no higher than the standard .38-caliber. Larger calibers are considered military weapons and are off-limits to civilians.

Yeah and we see how well that works...and the wording off-limits to civilians simply put means that only law abiding citizens can't have them but the criminals can!

I say F*** Mexico...what the heck have they done for us anyway?
"The defense of our liberties is first at the ballot box, then the soap box, then the jury box and finally, failing all else, the cartridge box"
"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."

-- George Orwell

#3 GWBH

Ripcord... This is Alabama - Fire For Effect, Over...

• Members
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 11:33 AM

These people are brain dead. Legal arms importers are importing "assault weapons" and then selling them through legitimate dealers to the drug cartel in Mexico.
That's what they're basically saying.
"Cartels turn to the U.S. because Mexico's gun laws are much stricter –" Oh yeah - those laws are working so well down in Mexico... What a bunch of crap.

Hello??? - any chance these "automatic" weapons are coming in from S. America???

Fire Support Base Ripcord Association - the heroes of the Vietnam War have their names on a wall in Washington, DC
http://www.ripcordassociation.com/

Phil Compton "ishmo", "L" Company 75th Infantry (RANGER) 101st Airborne Division (VietNam 1968 - 1969 / 1970 - 1971 )
A good man, a good soldier, a patriot and a true friend.

PFC Patrick J. Bohan, 101 Pathfinder Detachment, 101st Airborne Division, KIA, July 10, 1970, on FSB Ripcord

#4 RandyP

• Members
  • 3,314 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 11:53 AM

I propose a 'reasonable' trade. We'll take back 1 assault weapon for every illegal Mexican in the USA that we round up and give back to their government?

#5 SmershAgent

• Members
  • 4,376 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 12:01 PM

I guess what I'm really wondering is the logistics of how this would work.

According to 922®, foreign "assault" rifles have to have 10 (I think) US-made parts to be compliant.

Isn't 922® part of a statute? Based on the article, it sounds like Obama wants to eliminate the above provision so that foreign rifles are totally disallowed. Can he do that by decree, or would the necessary modifications to 922® require actual legislation?

#6 Federal Farmer

David Lawson

• Members
  • 9,346 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 12:33 PM

According to 922®, foreign "assault" rifles have to have 10 (I think) US-made parts to be compliant.

Isn't 922® part of a statute? Based on the article, it sounds like Obama wants to eliminate the above provision so that foreign rifles are totally disallowed. Can he do that by decree, or would the necessary modifications to 922® require actual legislation?

I suspect it is all just posturing. Makes him look tough on crime but probably has no real world affect.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men [and women] stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

--George Orwell

-- Certified something-or-other by various organizations and governmental entities.

#7 TTIN

si vis pacem, para bellum

• Members
  • 3,526 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 03:28 PM

And I see that Mexico has really stepped up it's efforts to help us with the illegal immigrent situation that is helping tear down our country and economy.So I guess it's only fair that we penalize our law abiding citizens to help them with their gun problem. :Angry!:

[/rant]
Patrick Henry: "Are we at last brought to such a humiliating and debasing degradation, that we cannot be trusted with arms for our own defense".

"God made men,but Colt made them equals"

"Guns don't kill people..husbands who come home early do" -Larry The Cable Guy

"Illinois: Will the Defendant Please Rise?"

"si vis pacem, para bellum"

#8 glide

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 04:13 PM

When Mexico starts helping the US with cracking down on all the illegal aliens they allow to slither across the border then and only then should the Us start to help them with the guns supposedly coming in from the US. Mexico also has to help stop all the drugs coming into the US from there but I really don't see any of that happening so they left us to deal with our problems here so they can deal with their problems there by themselves. Obama is only using this as a reason to get tough on guns not that he really needed a reason other than he doesn't like guns.

#9 Hossua

• Members
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 04:41 PM

There was an interesting article in the comments.Gun News Daily Pretty much what I guessed was happening, but a good article.

#10 Hossua

• Members
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 04:43 PM

I propose a 'reasonable' trade. We'll take back 1 assault weapon for every illegal Mexican in the USA that we round up and give back to their government?

I'll take those evil guns off their hands. :thumbsup:

#11 johnyt101

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 05:26 PM

The Import Ban that they are refering to is the executive order signed by GHW Bush back in 1989. The presure was on him to sign an AWB but he didnt want to fully turn his back on the base of the party so he signed the import ban on semi auto rifles. That is why Clinton and the Dems acted so fast on the AWB when he got in, because GHW Bush set the foundation for it.

The ban is arbitrarily enforced however. Example, you can but a Bulgarian style AK, but you cant buy an HK MP5. Sometimes the BATFE bans certain imported long guns based on round capacity. I tried buying a Beneli M3 with 8 round capacity but the guy at Mega Sports told me they were hard to come by because the BATFE put it on the "list." So I bought a FNH Mark SLP Mark I with a nine round capacity.

The import ban is useless like most gun control measures. You can buy an HK clone if its made in the USA but you can buy the real thing cause its not? Just think, the only thing the import ban does is limit the supply of guns on the legal market making the prices go up (making legal gun owners pay more) and the criminals get them anyway. Just another way to make firarm ownership less affordable hence less people practicing it.

NY Times Import Ban becomes Permanent

#12 SmershAgent

• Members
  • 4,376 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 06:32 PM

Here's a good summary of 922®:

http://home.comcast..../home/922r.html

I understand that the import ban was the result of Bush I's executive order, which was made possible by the "sporting purpose" language in the 1968 GCA.

So as it stands now, I just don't understand how Obama can "expand" or "strengthen" this ban without further legislation. Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse, I'm just really curious about what the angle is.

Hopefully Federal Farmer's assessment of the situation is correct

I suspect it is all just posturing.

#13 johnyt101

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 06:39 PM

I could be wrong, but I think he could "strenghten" the ban by not allowing the importation of any foreign semiauto rifles that arent exempt form Bush I's executive order.

An example of this re-enforcement of the ban would be the BATFE cracking down on the import of romanian and bulgarian semiauto AKs.

#14 BShawn

• Members
  • 4,601 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 11:35 PM

And I see that Mexico has really stepped up it's efforts to help us with the illegal immigrent situation that is helping tear down our country and economy.So I guess it's only fair that we penalize our law abiding citizens to help them with their gun problem. :Angry!:

[/rant]

I agree 110+%
EFF mexico
</rant>
9ga62or.jpg
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~ Licensed to carry since 2008
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~ IL CCL 75 days from application to in hand!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~ I'm not the "bad guy" here, I just want to be able to defend myself and my family. Anywhere I should be permitted to carry a pencil (1st amendment), I should also be able to carry a firearm (2nd amendment) !!!!!!!!!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Why do I carry a handgun? Well, look at it this way -- I keep a fire extinguisher in my house. I don't expect to have a fire; indeed, it's highly unlikely. But in the unlikely event of fire, not having the means to stop the fire could result in serious property loss or personal injury to myself and my family. Neither do I expect to be a victim of violent crime; indeed, it's highly unlikely. But in the unlikely event of a violent crime, not having the means to stop the criminal could lead to serious property loss or personal injury to myself and my family. It is simply a matter of common-sense prudence."
GarandFan, 2007
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Drawing any line only restricts law abiding people from crossing such a line. The "line" doesn't exist for criminals so we have to support the second amendment.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The only thing that will stop a bad guy with a gun, is a good man with a gun"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

#15 Slappy

• Members
  • 3,102 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 02:28 AM

I do love tacos...
SAFR Subsite

Illinoiscarry Document Repository

Thanks to everyone who has contributed! Lets keep em coming!

#16 cowboyflyfisher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 07:34 AM

I do love tacos...

Man, do I have a place in Tinley Park for you to try!
Steak tacos with onion & cilantro, and their sauces are the best!

Back on topic now.

Since when do we have to give up our bill of rights because some other other country is out of control?
And like we all know, those automatic weapons and grenades are not coming from Cabela's and Gander Mountain.
The Autonomous Thinker Blog

King Daley attacks guns because he knows they don't shoot people, he doesn't attack gangs because he knows they do.

The Government sanctioned American Holocaust: Jan. 22, 1973 - Present

“The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money” -- Alexis de Tocqueville

#17 ishmo

• Members
  • 2,603 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 08:00 AM

The man has a valid point here, I just hope they start rounding up his illegal countrymen in Cook County first and sending them back home. :thumbsup:

"I'm fighting corruption among Mexican authorities and risking everything to clean house, but I think a good cleaning is in order on the other side of the border," Calderón said

#18 TTIN

si vis pacem, para bellum

• Members
  • 3,526 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 08:48 AM

And it sure is funny how foreign presidents/dictators try to use our constitution against us.And I don't mean funny ha ha.
Patrick Henry: "Are we at last brought to such a humiliating and debasing degradation, that we cannot be trusted with arms for our own defense".

"God made men,but Colt made them equals"

"Guns don't kill people..husbands who come home early do" -Larry The Cable Guy

"Illinois: Will the Defendant Please Rise?"

"si vis pacem, para bellum"

#19 Yas

• Members
  • 4,005 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 09:15 AM

Man, do I have a place in Tinley Park for you to try!
Steak tacos with onion & cilantro, and their sauces are the best!

La Pasadita
1132 N. Ashland Ave.
Chicago, IL 60622
The best I've found.

#20 BShawn

• Members
  • 4,601 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 09:42 AM

I do love tacos...

Tacos are good :thumbsup:
9ga62or.jpg
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~ Licensed to carry since 2008
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~ IL CCL 75 days from application to in hand!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~ I'm not the "bad guy" here, I just want to be able to defend myself and my family. Anywhere I should be permitted to carry a pencil (1st amendment), I should also be able to carry a firearm (2nd amendment) !!!!!!!!!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Why do I carry a handgun? Well, look at it this way -- I keep a fire extinguisher in my house. I don't expect to have a fire; indeed, it's highly unlikely. But in the unlikely event of fire, not having the means to stop the fire could result in serious property loss or personal injury to myself and my family. Neither do I expect to be a victim of violent crime; indeed, it's highly unlikely. But in the unlikely event of a violent crime, not having the means to stop the criminal could lead to serious property loss or personal injury to myself and my family. It is simply a matter of common-sense prudence."
GarandFan, 2007
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Drawing any line only restricts law abiding people from crossing such a line. The "line" doesn't exist for criminals so we have to support the second amendment.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The only thing that will stop a bad guy with a gun, is a good man with a gun"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~