Becoming a NRA Instructor ?

mahoney1988

Hey everyone. I know you don't have to be a certified instructor to train anyone on proper handling of guns etc but I was wondering what benefit would there be if I became an Instructor. Also I was wondering if there is any money to be made from being one?

I know I read that some gun companies and training facilities give you discounts if you are an instructor kinda like being a FFL dealer does for buying certain stuff to show your people your training. Just curious to see if anyone on here are instructors and want to chat about the process etc.

I am an NRA instructor. Dont quit your day job but you can make a little money at it. I have not looked at the discounts because I am an FFL also but I do know some companys have special offers. PM me or post specific questions and I will be happy to answer.

Do you have a Facebook? Maybe we can chat on there. I was not planning on quitting my job but another part time gig which is my hobby anyways wouldn't be a bad idea.

I became one at the end of last year. I am certified in NRA Basic Pistol and Personal Protection In the Home. I am getting ready to do my first class soon, but am doing it just for cost of materials. I want to get a class under my belt before I start charging. The guys that trained me, Heartland Training Team, said during our instructor training that folks generally don't make a ton of money at it (insurance, gas, materials, etc.), but that it is a worthwhile and rewarding thing to do regardless of the money. As for discounts, I don't know.

Regarding going the NRA way: if HB5745 is passed as is now, you wouldn't have to do a test to get your carry license. That is a plus. However, at least with the guys I trained with, you had to have taken the class you are getting trained prior to taking the instructor's class. It costs either way. Becoming a certified instructor does make you a better, safer, and more aware shooter, plus you get to work on your public speaking skills!

Becoming an NRA Instructor is definitely worth the time. You are not going to make a lot of money doing it, but you can definitely make enough money to support a small firearms habit. There are plenty of benefits to becoming an instructor including discounts at firearms related stores, crimson trace is one of the better discounts. I am also a NRA Training Counselor, which means I can train put on the courses that allow you to become an NRA Certified Pistol Instructor. The added benefit to this is that an NRA Certification is usually what is required in MOST states to fulfill the CCW courses. If there is enough interest there may be potential to put on a Instructor course in Illinois. I will tell you though, with travel, lodging, food, range and venue, it may be a little spendy. Feel free to send me a PM with any questions and I will be sure to get you answers ASAP. Thanks.

It sounds like a full time job that doesn't pay very well lol. Sounds like I could just take some tactical training like with Blackwater etc and make more money teaching people with exp from them kind of classes. But that wouldn't get discounts on firearms lol.

It is most definitely not a full time job. Some people do choose to do this full time and are incredibly successful at it. I work full time as a software developer and do the courses on the weekend. Now to address your comment about just taking a course at Blackwater, if you approach firearms training with the sole intention of making money, you probably aren't going to do too well. Ask most instructors and they will tell you it takes a long time to get to the level of someone like Massad Ayoob, Ron Pincus or any other of highly sought after trainers. It definitely takes more than a sudden urge and the thought of getting rich fast.

Mahoney, what are the basic qualifications/pre requisites to become a certified instructor? Are there different tiers to it? i.e. pistol, defense pistol, tactical rifle etc. I'm really interested in becoming certified, not just to make money but to expand the knowledge and educate those who are willing to learn. I have military experience, but then again a lot of the training we do is similar yet different from what I imagine as civilian utilization goes. It's not like someone would have the need to do a dynamic breach to their front door or clear rooms LOL

I sent you a pm. Anyone else have any wisdom about becoming a NRA instructor?

If you're going to go get certified as an instructor you need to forget everything you think you know about firearm safety and let your counselor reteach you. You must unlearn what you have learned. Yes being an instructor reaps great rewards and it doesn't really have anything to do with $.

I sent you a pm. Anyone else have any wisdom about becoming a NRA instructor?

If you're going to go get certified as an instructor you need to forget everything you think you know about firearm safety and let your counselor reteach you. You must unlearn what you have learned. Yes being an instructor reaps great rewards and it doesn't really have anything to do with $.

+1 Amen.

I'll preface by saying this is coming from a very jr insturctor as I just got credentials a year ago. I did it initially because I knew that once we pass our carry bill in order for me to be a ccw instructor I would probably have to have this certifcation but frankly I've enjoyed teaching the folks who are brand new to firearms about as much as I think I'll ever enjoy teaching ccw. It's just really cool when you follow the NRA teachers guide and let it all come together and wwatch the lightbulbs come on over their heads and then when you take them to the range and they press that trigger for the first time, I don't even have the words to describe it.

Besides all of that just going through the course makes you take a step back and rethink firearm safety. I won't deny that it really made me think back to some of the bad habits I had developed over the years. Nothing epic but it's the little things. Good luck on your endevour should you chose to go down this path.

I'll preface by saying this is coming from a very jr insturctor as I just got credentials a year ago. I did it initially because I knew that once we pass our carry bill in order for me to be a ccw instructor I would probably have to have this certifcation but frankly I've enjoyed teaching the folks who are brand new to firearms about as much as I think I'll ever enjoy teaching ccw. It's just really cool when you follow the NRA teachers guide and let it all come together and wwatch the lightbulbs come on over their heads and then when you take them to the range and they press that trigger for the first time, I don't even have the words to describe it.

Besides all of that just going through the course makes you take a step back and rethink firearm safety. I won't deny that it really made me think back to some of the bad habits I had developed over the years. Nothing epic but it's the little things. Good luck on your endevour should you chose to go down this path.

Drylok is correct IMO. An instructor is a teacher first. Nothing more satisfying than having a class of students that want to learn! You will have a bit of out-of-pocket money. For example;

* your training + motel & meals for two days (?)

* correct firearms for your instruction (do you need to purchase additional)

* ammo cost for students

* classroom - are you able to hold class in your home or do you need to get a local hotel conference room and hope for enrollment

* personal range or if you can get a range that will allow you to bring students and what is the cost

* insurance

* advertising / website cost

* how close are the next nearest classes that you want to offer as not to conflict with your business (or theirs)

As is Drylok, I am a junior instructor that took me about one year to get things up an running. These are only a few things after your training to take into consideration. I feel that my business will break even after 6-8 months. This is not a get rich thing but could be profitable in the long run with CCW coming. You can email or call if you would like.

http://str8shotgunsafety.com/

-Jerry

815-228-1292

I will be having two pistol instructor sessions "not that far" from Illinois.

The first, in Prairie Du Chien, WI, is April 26/27 (that is a Thurs/Fri).

The second is in Beloit, WI, on June 2/3 (that is a Sat/Sun).

Also, if there were interest, it would be easy to set up a session in your community...

Paul Horvick

NRA Training Counselor

http://shootingsafely.com

Also, if there were interest, it would be easy to set up a session in your community...

Paul Horvick

NRA Training Counselor

I took Paul's instructor class last year. I also took the Fl and UT class from him. He is a great instructor.

I took the Basic Pistol Instructor class this past weekend, taught by Heartland Training Team. They did mention that discounts are around for instructors from some vendors. Anything that can help me teach folks to safely understand and enjoy firearms will be an awesome plus!

I took the Basic Pistol Instructor class this past weekend, taught by Heartland Training Team. They did mention that discounts are around for instructors from some vendors. Anything that can help me teach folks to safely understand and enjoy firearms will be an awesome plus!

Larry and mike are great. I did my instructor training with them also.

I enjoyed the instructor class and learned a lot. I only teach for the club I belong to. All the fees go to the club. The only tangible thing I got out of it was a red tee shirt that says instructor on it. The club requires anyone that wants to join to take the basic class first.

Paul Horvick

NRA Training Counselor

I Pm'd Odyssey and virtually offered the same thing, but I live pretty centrally located in IL Right off I-70 less than half a day drive from anywhere in IL. I have 28 acres so we have plenty of room to shoot. I would love to host an Instructor Course for Il Carry members who want to become an instructor. Would you be interested in teaching? How much etc? You can PM me details if you like. I don't care if it's him or you or both we could have alot of fun with this!

I got my certification for pisol last May. I have had 4 classes since. You make alittle extra cash, but this also led me into becoming a Hunting safety Instuctor with the Illinois DNR. I am now involved with the hunter saftey classes at the Rock Island Conservation club. We just happen to be Hosting a class this weekend in which my 12 yr old son will attend as he wants to start deer hunting next fall. I look at the whole process as promoting gun saftey and promoting the NRA and the Illinois State Rifle Association.

Ok, I've got 2 instructors that are willing to come to my place to do a class. I'm centrally located right off of I-70 about 35 min E of I 57 in Casey, IL Would anybody be interested in attending a course here? If so give me some ideas on timeframes of when you would like do this, maybe a certain time will emerge as a common theame. How would you feel about May? That gives us just a little over a month to plan this thing.

Paul Horvick

NRA Training Counselor

I took Paul's instructor class last year. I also took the Fl and UT class from him. He is a great instructor.

Paul Horvick

NRA Training Counselor

I am also one of Paul's students. Fantastic, down to earth Counselor. Well worth your time and investment.

Jerry Sommer

Marseilles, IL

http://str8shotgunsafety.com/

Archived