Cook County Sherifs Dept tried to illegally confiscate my FOID

jolebole

Hey guys,

Three Cook County Sheriffs deputies showed up at my door last week and left a notice that my FOID is REVOKED and I need to surrender it. They came in an unmarked SUV with regular IL plates. I called IL State Police and they said my FOID and CCL are both valid. I tried calling the Cook County Sheriffs office but nobody can give me an answer why and who sent them at my house. Since then nobody tried to call me, nobody came to my house to look for me or leave another notice or letter. Its been a week so far. I reported this to my local PD. Maybe someone from State Police will read this and maybe can get me some answers. I called the Sherifs office again but they said if my FOID is valid that "I should not worry about this so much".

I still don't have answers to some questions:

- Why Cook County Sherif's is trying to illegally confiscate my FOID? with a "fake" letter.

- FOID issue and revocation is State Police matter, not Cook County. I dont even live in Cook County

- I know that if a FOID is revoked, State Police is the one that sends the letters and nobody else.

- The number on the notice is impossible to reach. Does not even ring, Goes straight to voicemail.

- If they needed some information about a case or maybe a Ffirearms transfer, why nobody has tried to reach me since?

- The investigator on the notice does work in Cook County Sheriffs dept, but they have no idea what hes working on. They never tried to get me in touch with him. They did not even asked for my number.

Has anyone heard a similar crazy story like this? Please let me know what you think. I am attaching the notice so you can see it for yourselves.

post-14059-0-29657200-1515394283_thumb.jpg

Edited by jolebole

How do you know that these guy were really deputies and not some criminals using phony uniforms and forged paperwork? Criminals could impersonate law enforcement officers and potentially confiscate guns and ammo as well as a FOID card. Criminals could probably alter a FOID card to enable them to buy guns and/or ammo.

I really cant know for sure. That same question is bothering me too. I have a video of the 20min visit. I can share it via PM if you like to see it. I live in a very decent area of DuPage county where police is present everywhere (160k population). It would be very risky for outsiders to impersonate law enforcement officers in the middle of the day next to a very busy street.

How do you know that these guy were really deputies and not some criminals using phony uniforms and forged paperwork? Criminals could impersonate law enforcement officers and potentially confiscate guns and ammo as well as a FOID card. Criminals could probably alter a FOID card to enable them to buy guns and/or ammo.

I really cant know for sure. That same question is bothering me too. I have a video of the 20min visit. I can share it via PM if you like to see it. I live in a very decent area of DuPage county where police is present everywhere (160k population). It would be very risky for outsiders to impersonate law enforcement officers in the middle of the day next to a very busy street.

Maybe that is why the SUV was unmarked to make it easier for them to impersonate. Maybe they are dirty cops using phony paperwork to steal your FOID and they might have tried to steal your guns and ammo as well. Edited by borgranta

There's this thing called jurisdictions. A Cook County Sheriff has no ability to serve notice or arrest outside of the jurisdiction of the office they represent. They can only retain powers while in fresh pursuit or if acting on a call for assistance from an agency with jurisdiction.

Personally, I'd make a royal stink about it with local PD.

Just curious, is there anything you can recall that outed you as a gun owner to neighbors who might disapprove? NRA sticker on your car? Wearing gun guy t shirts? I don't call 911 sign on house? I'm thinking this isn't a prank, but you were targeted for harassment.

Going further...is there someone who might want to harm you or your family members but knows you're armed and needs to disarm you before moving forward? Might be time to talk to police about that ex boyfriend of your daughter's or something.

In 2013, Cook County Sheriffs dept did form a team to recover revoked FOIDs

http://illinoisreview.typepad.com/illinoisreview/2013/07/cook-county-sheriff-sets-up-team-to-seize-revoked-foid-cards.html

..."Dart said he persuaded the General Assembly to include new language in the FOID law that would allow sheriffs and municipal police to obtain search warrants to look for guns in the homes of people with revoked FOID cards."...

but:

-agree that letter does not look legit, especially arriving with phone scratched out. Nor does it sound like it arrived with a warrant.

-also agree CCSD isn't (well, shouldn't) going to be arriving without someone from DuPage SD or your local LE

-If you weren't there, beyond leaving the letter, what else did they do in that 20 minutes?

-Did you get their plate number too?

-Although, if they were totally fake, I would like to think the CCSD would be more concerned with impersonators.

Edited by InterestedBystander

The number you tried to scratch out, 708-865-4700, is a legit cook county sheriff number.

I did not scratch out the number. It was scratched out by them. I did call that number and that was the correct Sherifs Dept#

Since you had the sheriff's department on the line, did you report the incident and ask for clarification?

I tried. But I got no real answers. They cared less. They told me "keep calling that number" on the notice. I'm thinking about going to my local PD again tell them I had no luck with CCSD and give them a copy of the video.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

There's this thing called jurisdictions. A Cook County Sheriff has no ability to serve notice or arrest outside of the jurisdiction of the office they represent. They can only retain powers while in fresh pursuit or if acting on a call for assistance from an agency with jurisdiction. Personally, I'd make a royal stink about it with local PD. Just curious, is there anything you can recall that outed you as a gun owner to neighbors who might disapprove? NRA sticker on your car? Wearing gun guy t shirts? I don't call 911 sign on house? I'm thinking this isn't a prank, but you were targeted for harassment. Going further...is there someone who might want to harm you or your family members but knows you're armed and needs to disarm you before moving forward? Might be time to talk to police about that ex boyfriend of your daughter's or something.
That's the exact same think my FFL.told me.what I told him what happened. He told me that even If I did confronted them and they asked for my FOID of firearms if there another person in the house with a FOID, they can't confiscate anything within 45 days because of the appeal period.Going further, I had zero problems with my neighbors. I've been living here for 4yrs, no car stickers, no gun shirts, no hunting camo gear. No bar fights or any involvment in shady stuff. My daghters are too small for boyfriends. . I am very discreet even when packing for a range. I don't wear any tacktical clothing/backpacks or hats. One other thing I was thinking is, for someone to come to my door and try to do something they might know or someone told them how many FFL transfers I did in the past. Otherwise I'm just a guy with a FOID like milions more in IL.Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

This highly, highly smacks of a scam, from the badly photocopied letter, to the non govt vehicle. But, what really makes me think scam is twofold. OP sys he lives in DuPage County. Assuming his FOID matches that (i.e. he didn't move recently and forget to update), they would have no jurisdiction here, regardless of http://illinoisreview.typepad.com/illinoisreview/2013/07/cook-county-sheriff-sets-up-team-to-seize-revoked-foid-cards.html. The other is, why no follow up by the CCSPD?

OP did you at least do a white pages lookup on the number they wrote in on the bottom?

IMO it probably is really Cook County Police Dept doing this. They do all kind of shady things at Dart's command for political motives. (e.g. you mentioned transfers. Is it possible you legally transferred a gun to a cook county resident, and there was legal trouble w/ that gun afterwards? Are they possibly trying to say you are a "gun dealer" and hold you to different rules?)

But given the information you have from ISP & your local police, they are not allowed to do what they are doing, so you would be legal to "send them packing" if them come again. (IANAL and this is not legal advice.)

That is a really weird situation though. Please keep us in the loop on what happens going forward...

Weird...Looks like maybe someone's personal vehicle that they put the white flashers on...noticed the strobes when they pulled up. They all got out and at least one, I think two or all of them are wearing body cams and have real looking badges. Their vests clearly identify them as sheriff's police. NOW all of that can easily be fake too and you get no real sense of legitimacy from any of this and I wouldn't open my door to these guys or give them anything. BUT wouldn't you think that there would be some record of 3 sheriff's deputies showing up at someone's house if it were for some official purpose?