IKEA no longer postec

vito

I've shopped at Ikea many times, and have almost always been pleased with the quality of the products that I bought there. In the past I always saw the main entrance posted with the official "No Guns" signs. I assume that the fact that the signs no longer are there means that management has changed their position on this issue. In any event, since it is not posted, no one should feel compelled to leave their legally concealed firearm in their vehicle.

Went to Ikea in Schaumburg, and to my surprise, saw no posted signs prohibiting guns.

Why broadcast it?

this. they replaced the doors some time back and didn't get new signage. The one down by me in NC isn't posted either, but they have a code of conduct sign that says no weapons. So while not illegal, you still aren't welcome.

I generally don't want to give my business to any organization that is openly anti-2A, but sometimes I make an exception if the value to me overrides my dislike of the company. People joke about it, but I have always been impressed with the high quality engineering and design that goes into virtually every Ikea product that I have ever bought. I have never had a product where the parts do not fit together, and often in a clever way to ensure strength and stability. A couple of years ago my wife was intent on remodeling our kitchen. Quotes from contractors were running pretty consistently about $35-40,000. and that did not include new appliances. We used the kitchen design service at Ikea for all of the cabinets and hardware, hired our handyman to remove the old cabinets and do all the installation (including backsplash and flooring, etc.) and only used a separate contractor for the quartz counter top. Total cost for everything, including labor was right about $18,000, or half what others wanted us to pay. And if ever I need to replace a cabinet door or drawer front, Ikea will have it and readily available. This was just one example of where Ikea was of real value to me, so even when they were posted I still shopped there. Since the store I use is not posted anymore, for whatever reason, now I have no reason to withhold my business at all.

So while not illegal, you still aren't welcome.

Not necessarily. We have businesses here in TX that post "gunbuster" signs to assuage the public, knowing that they have no meaning to licensed carriers.

Sure, but that place doesn't have a corporate policy for behavior that bans weapons from the premises hanging in every location either. TX not having force of law on postings allows for lazy complacent attitudes regarding "no guns no money" boycotts. In Illinois it matters. In my new home it matters too. We need to stick together on this stuff.

And those TX businesses aren't assuaging the public. They're playing both sides. The grabbers and pearl clutchers feel empowered and the concealed is concealed crowd is willing to take a chance at being ask to leave.

This all falls in the bucket of things that you can do legally, but should you. The answer is only known by the individual making those decisions.

I heard on the news about an IKEA dresser being recalled due to risk of tipping over and apparently some people young children have been injured killed by them.

FIFY.

This has been going on since the beginning of furniture. Ikea's cabinets are lightweight compared to furniture that uses solid wood. I don't know whether that makes them more prone to tip or less. I believe Ikea has had to defend themselves in court numerous times for these accidents.

My wife and I were in the vicinity of the Bolingbrook IKEA earlier this evening.

The main entrance was posted with the statuary signage on the left hand doorway (as you enter).

i submitted an update to the Posted app.

-Keith.

I saw the update on Posted! Likely IKEA is still anti-gun, and Schaumburg is just missing the sign due to a new door. They may (or may not) get around to putting one up eventually. In the meantime, not posted is "not posted"...

Archived