50,000 FOID Cards Due for Renewal - Apply Early

mauserme

http://peoriapublicradio.org/post/50000-illinois-firearm-owner-id-cards-due-renewal#stream/0

50,000 Illinois Firearm Owner ID Cards Due for Renewal

By ASSOCIATED PRESS

Illinois State Police are urging Firearm Owners Identification card holders to apply early as many come up for renewal.

State Police Director Leo Schmitz said Friday that the agency expects tens of thousands of renewal applications to come in over the next few months as the first wave of 10-year cards come due for renewal. State police are recommending gun owners send renewal applications at least one to two months in advance so the agency has enough time to process requests and issue new cards before expiration.

The agency says more than 50,000 FOID cards are due for renewal between June 1 and August 1. Renewal notices have been sent to those whose cards expire June 1.

Illinois lawmakers in 2008 amended state law allowing FOID cards to be valid for 10 years.

Springfield Journal Register also has story

http://www.sj-r.com/news/20180420/illinois-state-police-warn-of-possible-renewal-delays-as-wave-of-foid-cards-come-due

...Applicants can visit the ISP’s Firearm Services Bureau website at www.ispfsb.com to renew online. Anyone who needs assistance with FOID card renewal, and those who prefer paper applications, can call 217-782-7980 and select menu option 0....

Are they still sending renewals thru the mail or emails? I’ve been told they are doing emails now instead of mail?

I have read posts that both email and USPS are being used.

That might be but I received only the email thus far.

I'm one of those 1st wave of 10-year card as my friend just had 5-year card when he applied just days prior to mine. I just renewed mine last April 1 for June 1st expiration and I have informed delivery for today from USPS coming from ISP. That's 19 days from the day of renewal. It's actually both mine and my daughter but I applied for her FOID about a month ago. My wife renewed hers on the 4th of this month. We'll see if she will get it next week.

http://peoriapublicradio.org/post/50000-illinois-firearm-owner-id-cards-due-renewal#stream/0

50,000 Illinois Firearm Owner ID Cards Due for Renewal

By ASSOCIATED PRESSIllinois State Police are urging Firearm Owners Identification card holders to apply early as many come up for renewal.State Police Director Leo Schmitz said Friday that the agency expects tens of thousands of renewal applications to come in over the next few months as the first wave of 10-year cards come due for renewal. State police are recommending gun owners send renewal applications at least one to two months in advance so the agency has enough time to process requests and issue new cards before expiration.The agency says more than 50,000 FOID cards are due for renewal between June 1 and August 1. Renewal notices have been sent to those whose cards expire June 1.Illinois lawmakers in 2008 amended state law allowing FOID cards to be valid for 10 years.

My FOID expires in early December. My CCL expires in early March. Nothing on renewing either so far from this crappy state. One thing I've learned in almost 4 1/2 years of carrying. NOBODY notices- EVER. Good knowledge for the future as politicians seek to ban our God given RIGHTS.

I'm one of those 1st wave of 10-year card as my friend just had 5-year card when he applied just days prior to mine. I just renewed mine last April 1 for June 1st expiration and I have informed delivery for today from USPS coming from ISP. That's 19 days from the day of renewal. It's actually both mine and my daughter but I applied for her FOID about a month ago. My wife renewed hers on the 4th of this month. We'll see if she will get it next week.

There was a 5 year? I only remember the 3 year until the 10 came and then I believe only a lawsuit or something over raising the price to $10.

The same thing that should have been done for concealed carry, poo' people just can't have concealed carry because it's too expensive.

The state should rethink their description. It is not a convenience fee if there is no other way to pay. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Those "convenience" fees make me the angriest. The only one I've ever paid in my life was for my CCW (b/c paper wasn't an option at the beginning when I got mine.) For all the rest, I still keep my checkbook, which is only used for government payments. All private party payees long ago went away with surcharges to pay online. ACH is much cheaper for them anyway, the state is doing it just to screw you.

• 1 month later...

I have an acquaintance that received letter notification of impending expiration on their FOID from the ISP. The issue is They do not have computer access to do a renewal with the new guidelines the ISP has changed to. The last card they got done was thru a FFL at a gunshop. Is this still an option?

I observed them go thru the contact number included on the renewal letterhead to try to get thru to and "Optional written application process" that is briefly mentioned in the letter and they are unable to get around the automated system to get help in obtaining anything resembling the old school mail in application I'm even familiar with.

Phone system keeps running they around to 1 prerecorded message or another, and hangs up on them. Not even a opportunity to leave a voicemail for someone to contact back to them.

Cant even find a template at the FOID website for a written application.

Molly or anyone found help on this line of trouble?

Cliff notes: Applicant has no web and won't allow me to help with online system also. Hey Privacy.... No big deal.

Letter offers suggestion of contacting ISP for different form of application but they are unable to get thru to someone in Springfield live, to get this done.

Yas,

Is there a return address on the letter that they received? Maybe they could use that to request a renewal application.

I do not understand their refusal for your help with the online system. Certainly they gave all their private information to the FFL when they replied originally.

It was my understanding that you can call in, start the application process with a customer service rep who will then usps mail you the form to complete and return. Is there no option of hitting 0 and waiting? Or repeatedly hitting 0 will sometimes throw you into that operator queue. Have only had to call them once for a password issue and got a live person very quickly.

So how does one renew their FOID card online? There used to be a button to click when you were logged into your account, but I don't have the button anymore. I'm due in less than six months and would like to get a jump on it.

My understanding is that the button will appear when you have less than 3 month left.

Yas,

Is there a return address on the letter that they received? Maybe they could use that to request a renewal application.

I do not understand their refusal for your help with the online system. Certainly they gave all their private information to the FFL when they replied originally.

It was my understanding that you can call in, start the application process with a customer service rep who will then usps mail you the form to complete and return. Is there no option of hitting 0 and waiting? Or repeatedly hitting 0 will sometimes throw you into that operator queue. Have only had to call them once for a password issue and got a live person very quickly.

I listened in (speaker phone) friday during an attempt and there didn't seem to have an option that was obvious for "requesting a mail in form sent" Or "get an O2 breathing human" Unless someone here can provide more information from experience in a similar scenario, I'll see if on Monday the person is willing to try an attempt with me around and see if I can jot down the options.

Archived