Moving from Florida to Cook County, IL

adinev

Hello

Thanks for accepting me to the community

I am NRA Safety Officer, USPSA CRO and IDPA SO and until short time ago I was very involved with practical shooting.

Due to a change in my job. I'm moving from Ft Lauderdale to the northern suburbs of Chicago, I still don't know exactly where, but it should happen before the end of 2020.

My safe has a good amount of handguns, rifles and shotguns, being most of them for competition. I also have a CCW from FL, although I understand it doesn't mean much in IL.

At this point I'm trying to get a better understanding of what I can have and what not. CCW will be a next step.

For what I have read, FOID should be my first priority.

Here are my questions about IL and specially Cook County:

- For everything I've read, I believe I'll have to sell a couple of AR based rifles I have. Am I correct?

- Are there restrictions for pistol magazines capacity? I've read that now local ordinances can rule on riffle mags but not pistols. Is that right?

- Do I have to register the weapons?

- Any restrictions on number of pieces?

- Are there any reloading gear restrictions?

- Do I have to wait for my FOID before moving the pieces from FL to IL?

Thanks in advance for your help

Adi

IANAL

There are no statewide bans. Chicago and Cook county are going to be most restrictive. Suggest staying away from places like Northbrook, Deerfield, Highland Park which also have/had local bans iirc and are not Pro 2A friendly.

You can keep your ARs but would need to relocate and store outside of Cook county in a location with no muni code banning them. A couple of shops have/had rental lockers.

The state has preemption on handguns (and "assault weapons" depending on when a local muni code was passed) which seems like it should include magazines yet places still have laws on books e.g. Chicago 15 and Cook 12 iirc. Not tested in court afaik. BTW, Chicago has a Laser ban but I dont think Cook does.

No registrations

No limit on quantity

Never heard of anyplace anywhere restricting reloading equip.

I think you have 60 day grace period to get DL and then apply for FOID. With the crush of new apps and renewals, the ISP is often not meeting the new application 30 days as specified in the law. Ill let someone more knowledgeable than me answer this.

FOID Act..."(d) Any person who becomes a resident of this State, who is not otherwise prohibited from obtaining, possessing, or using a firearm or firearm ammunition, shall not be required to have a Firearm Owner's Identification Card to possess firearms or firearms ammunition until 60 calendar days after he or she obtains an Illinois driver's license or Illinois Identification Card."...

CyberdriveIL..."Drivers moving to Illinois may use their valid driver's license from their home state or country for 90 days. You may obtain an Illinois driver's license or identification card only if you are becoming a legal resident of Illinois. If you have a valid driver's license from another state or country, you may use it to drive in Illinois throughout your stay (if you do not plan to become a permanent resident of this state). Illinois does not recognize the international driver's license."...

When you take CCL class, my understanding is you can apply for both FOID and CCL, but some instructors have a policy of requiring a FOID to take class. Depending on your history you may receive some credit toward the 16 hour requirement.

All the FL CCL gets you here while a FL resident is car carry.

Don't do it, don't move into Illinois. If you must work in Chicago, buy in Indiana. Inside of two years you will be looking to move out of Illinois. Property values declining. State credit rating dropping. Taxes expected to go up again. State is so deep in debt that the politicians will never pull it out. Governor Jelly Belly Pritzger is currently trying to get the feds to bail the state out to the tune of 3.7 billion under the pretense of Corona Virus. That doesn't even begin to cover what the state's debts are.

If you must live in Illinois, stop in Indiana and rent yourself a storage locker to store most of your firearms. If you bring them into Illinois, all bets are off.

Anywhere but here. If you must, Interested Bystander has laid it out pretty clearly. Store you ARs at Maxons in Des Plaines or another 2A friendly spot.

This whole state sucks, but welcome to the forum and let us know if you need more detail.

There are some very bright people onboard here, me not so much.

You are best off going just across the border to Kenosha County WI. There is a train that runs to downtown Chicago and the tollway was just widened so the drive isn't that much longer since most of the traffic is in crook county. You tend to get a bit more for your money too although more and more IL people are moving north to freedom and driving up prices.

Wisconsin is pretty much your only option if you own any suppressors since IL does not allow them.

If you have any SBRs you can get your C&R FFL and be legal in IL.

InterestedBystander has accurately answered most/all of your questions. I would trust him.

DuPage County to the west and Lake County to the north of Cook are generally more gun friendly than Cook, with some exceptions... Highland Park, Deerfield and possibly Buffalo Grove. I personally prefer Chicago to any of the suburbs, my neighborhood is rather suburban-like. I don't have AR type rifles, I'm more of a lever action and Garand sort of a guy, so that has not been a concern for me.

Once you have a new home... you should (I think) take your CCL class and then get your DL... maybe apply for your FOID and CCL on the same day, just to get things moving.

WitchDoctor mentioned Maxon's in Des Plaines... I use their range and have made a purchase or two there. Good place. You might find Des Plaines or Park Ridge to be good communities to relocate to.

Re Indiana or Wisconsin: while they are absolutely fine places to live and are less restrictive as far as guns and permits go... I find the Illinois CCL to be more valuable that those of our neighboring states. Your IL CCL is good in both states - a WI or IN permit is not good in Illinois. I really do like the idea of the Indiana Lifetime Permit to Carry.

Welcome to the forum!

Thanks a lot for all great advise.

I'll have to work most of the days around Morton Grove area so, DuPage County is not out of question, especially because there will be a lot of flying out of O'Hare.

I have heard good things about Park Ridge and Skokie areas.

Most of my pieces are revolvers and 1911/2011 competition guns. Some Glocks and M&P's due to IDPA. So, I was really worried about having to get magazines that were compliant. It looks like this is not the case, so I'm good.

I have also discussed a lot with IPSC international guys and some countries have restrictions to reloading gear. This is why I've asked about it.

Thanks again and be safe

Adi

If you have to move here consider Des Plaines is in cook county close to O Hare and Morton Grove

Good city services

Police Chief in a email said no assault weapon ban, home rule over cook county, but haven't been able to find that in writing anywhere

Gun shop in town with nice range, they sell AR type rifles and high capacity mags

However our property taxes are set to go up 4K next year we did appeal and appeal was rejected state is broke no doubt

Lots of homes going up for sale due too the property tax hike

Illinois is unofficially bankrupt, new Governor said he has a balanced budget but i guess he forgot about 2 decades of pension deficit, and no pension reform in sight

4 out of the last 7 Governors went to prison

I have a business here, and still 1 kid in high school, I got 10 years to retire and the first thing I will do when I retire is move out of Illinois

But like I said if you need to move here Des Plaines is a good community, and property taxes will be a little less than Park Ridge

Police Chief in a email said no assault weapon ban, home rule over cook county, but haven't been able to find that in writing anywhere

I wanted to note this in my post... that Cook Co towns with Home Rule are exempt from the Cook Co AWB.

Chicago is one of those towns, but we have our own AWB on the books.

It's worth checking out...

Don't do it, don't move into Illinois. If you must work in Chicago, buy in Indiana. Inside of two years you will be looking to move out of Illinois. Property values declining. State credit rating dropping. Taxes expected to go up again. State is so deep in debt that the politicians will never pull it out. Governor Jelly Belly Pritzger is currently trying to get the feds to bail the state out to the tune of 3.7 billion under the pretense of Corona Virus. That doesn't even begin to cover what the state's debts are.

If you must live in Illinois, stop in Indiana and rent yourself a storage locker to store most of your firearms. If you bring them into Illinois, all bets are off.

THIS ^^^^^

My family has been in Illinois since the 1830. Got my FOID 47 years ago and have a good collection of everything, including reloading equipment. The powers that be in the metro Chicago are constantly threatening to take everything we have. We as a community are always pushing back. I would leave if my wife would go and not move here unless I had to. We have all prospered here in spite of the political mismanagement. The home we bought in 2018 for !00 grand under what the seller paid has lost another 10% since then. Shop smart for a home in a stable collar county community and then wade into our gun laws and get active in IC and the ISRA. Welcome.

• 2 months later...

Welcome to Illinois. I live downstate and actually work in Missouri. My wife does as well. The thought has crossed my mind off moving there, but in our case we live in a small town of about 10,000 or so. Nice community. Property values are so high in the area that we'd want to be in that we'd be doing good to get an apartment or town home for what we pay renting a house here. Plus the town here is pretty safe with good police force etc. However, unless you must, don't move into Illinois. I like the state but can't stand politics in Illinois. I'm from Ohio originally. No desire to ever visit or see Chicago. Have told my wife I don't even want to have a layover in their airport if we fly.

But welcome.

Archived