CCL self-defense shooting

Chicago_Shooter09

Im getting early word that a CCL holder shot and killed a would-be armed robber at the Target at 33rd and Damen right off the Stevenson Expressway. I dont any further detail but always remember to keep your head up and keep armed especially around this time of year when predators are out in force.

Saw this on the 9:00 news last night as it was still breaking. The news girl couldn't have said enough times how there are cameras all over the parking lot. I don't blame the shooter for fleeing. These thieves hide out like cockroaches. For all he knew, there might have been 3 more robbers all within range. Lets see if they give any more info on this soon..

Gunshot wounds to the chest and BACK? That could be troublesome. It's certainly within the realm of possibility that the bad guy gets shot in the back during a skirmish, but it certainly raises some doubt

If there was a struggle, where you get shot may not be relevant.

Absolutely! However, on initial view, it doesn't look good without further explanation and investigation.

Gunshot wounds to the chest and BACK? That could be troublesome. It's certainly within the realm of possibility that the bad guy gets shot in the back during a skirmish, but it certainly raises some doubt

Read up on "falling through the plane of fire." Guy was shot multiple times. Perhaps one went through the back. Not uncommon as the person getting shot is falling. Let's not jump to conclusions.

Read up on "falling through the plane of fire." Guy was shot multiple times. Perhaps one went through the back. Not uncommon as the person getting shot is falling. Let's not jump to conclusions.

As I said, it's certainly within the realm of possibility, but will demand a closer examination to ensure they know what happened.

According to WGN they have taken the guy into custody and have already charged him.

Evidently there's more to this then what was reported earlier.

Which article was that? The one from WGN I read didnt mention any arrests or charges.

One report I read said the shooter and the robber were struggling inside the vehicle. The instinct to turn away from danger could easily account for that. Robber sees gun, flinches and gets one through the back. If the robber was in the passenger seat I can also understand the shooter fleeing. My first thoughts would be his buddies coming to the drivers side of the car.

According to WGN they have taken the guy into custody and have already charged him.

Evidently there's more to this then what was reported earlier.

Which article was that? The one from WGN I read didnt mention any arrests or charges.

One report I read said the shooter and the robber were struggling inside the vehicle. The instinct to turn away from danger could easily account for that. Robber sees gun, flinches and gets one through the back. If the robber was in the passenger seat I can also understand the shooter fleeing. My first thoughts would be his buddies coming to the drivers side of the car.

It was on the morning news at about 7:30AM.

Ahh ok. Was thinking it might have been TV news. I rarely watch live TV anymore.

I saw nothing on this in the Tribune today (12/16). I tend to think that this will be considered a good self defense shoot since the media is not going wild with major headlines about a licensed concealed carrier shooting someone illegally. If the shooter ends up being charged with a crime, I'm sure we will see the usual suspects claiming that this "proves" that ordinary, law abiding citizens should never have been allowed to legally carry a gun in Illinois.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-concealed-carry-permit-holder-released-homicide-20171216-story.html

Concealed carry license holder released after he says he shot would-be robber

Chicago police have released a concealed carry license holder who told authorities he fatally shot a would-be robber near a South Side Target store earlier this week.

The 27-year-old man was taken into custody soon after the shooting about 8 p.m. Thursday in a parking lot in the 1900 block of West 33rd Street in the McKinley Park neighborhood.

A Chicago police spokesman on Saturday said the man was released by Area Central detectives without criminal charges, but did not say whether investigators believe the shooting was self-defense. The case and the investigation are not closed, the spokesman said. A representative with the Cook County state's attorney's office, which prosecutes felony cases, wasn't immediately available for comment

I certainly hope I am never in the position of wondering what to do after I have shot someone in self defense, but if it happened the FIRST phone call would be to my legal defense insurance company, THEN I would call 911. My third call would be to my wife to tell her that I would likely not be coming home very soon. I would tell the police that I acted out of fear for my own life or well being, that I was the victim, and that I would be more than glad to make a full statement after I had calmed down for a day or two and had a chance to consult with my attorney. I would state that I am willing to sign a complaint, and I would point out any witnesses or physical evidence in the vicinity. Then I would not answer questions or make any further statements. I know that when a stressful situation occurs, and this would certainly qualify as a highly stressful situation, the tendency is to want to explain everything to make the police see my side of it, but I hope I can maintain my composure and just limit myself to what I stated above. Everyone reading this thread should be reminded that the police are not looking to help the shooter, but are trying to determine if they have reason to arrest and charge the shooter, so anything you say might be used to help the police do just that and they are not obligated to use anything you say which might be helpful to you. Especially if they read you your Miranda rights you should realize that you are a suspect, not a witness, and be silent accordingly. I am not an attorney and I am not providing legal advice, but just stating what I have read and believe to be the best way to handle being in this type event.

I’m with Mick on this one, I suspected from the beginning this was a drug deal gone bad and he left to get rid of evidence, I hope I’m wrong.

Vito.....We were taught in CCL class to call police first, if the shooting is self defense you tell them what happened, if you don’t talk you’re for sure going to jail until they figure it out.

I think I would prefer to get the advice of a lawyer before saying much of anything to the police, other than what I stated in my earlier comment. I don't know that anything you say will help you, but I do know it sure can hurt you. Especially if you are upset, which is likely, you might well mis-remember some details, so when you re-tell your story for the 10th time you will have some discrepancies which well might be used against you. I think it better to wait for legal counsel, even if that means being locked up for a day while awaiting your lawyer.

Full story at link...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-name-of-man-shot-dead-by-concealed-carry-permit-holder-released-20171217-story.html

Name released of man shot dead by concealed carry permit holder

The identity has been made public of a 21-year-old man shot dead by a concealed carry permit holder who believed he was being robbed at gunpoint Thursday night on the South Side.

Jermaine Marshall, of the 4900 block of South Loomis Street, died of multiple gunshot wounds and his death was ruled a homicide, according to the Cook County medical examiners office.

Mick G, on 17 Dec 2017 - 10:30 PM, said:

Food for thought. The robber has the drop on this guy. He has a revolver and doesn't manage to get off a shot that even grazes the victim? No windows were hit by bullets? Going by the victims story basically this guy jumps in the car with a revolver and ends up in a gunfight that ends up with him getting shot in the chest and back? The last I checked there isn't a lot of room in an Altima for a gunfight unless the revolver was unloaded, which is possible and would explain a lot. There are a lot of dumb criminals who believe that an unloaded gun means a reduced charge.

Street thugs aren't known to have the newest and most reliable firearms in the best of condition. They don't go to the range to see if their firearms even work.

And they certainly don't practice their shooting skills.

This outcome really doesn't seem remarkable to me.

Archived