My Laptop is "Doubling Down" for lack of a better term

Buzzard

Buzz

You aren't "double clicking" on the "quote" button, by chance, are you?

When I "double click" the button, it causes 2 quotes to show. Make sure you're clicking the "quote" button just once, and wait for it to show.

No, I'm not.

Even if I was - what's with the blackout of the screen for a fraction of a second - what's causing that?

No. Something is going on and I think it's in my machine. A trojan or something.

Does Microsoft Essentials (or whatever it's called) still support Windows XP?

It could be a virus. What you're seeing may be a redirect where your browser/system is setup to connect to a locally running proxy. Its odd though - the double post quote.

I'd first check that there was not a proxy (i.e. 127.0.0.1) You should not be using a proxy at all, unless for some reason your service provider requires you to:

http://www.ehow.com/...gs-firefox.html

Step 7 in that link shows how to define a proxy - you want to do the opposite. So if you see that there is a proxy server listed, go ahead and delete. If there was a proxy, you likely have a virus, and the proxy setting you deleted will be reverted within a short period.

Before making a suggestion as to a way to scan/remove various malware, does your ISP (internet service provider) offer any virus protection? Bear with me Buzz, I'm trying to be judicious with what you do have to download.

If by some crazy reason you arent running any type of AV software, you may want to look into defender:

http://www.microsoft...der/sysreq.mspx

To my recollection, he still supports XP. NOTE: You cant have more than one AV scanner running (i.e. if you already have Norton, dont install defender)

Assuming you pickup windows Defender, and it doesnt update the signatures automatically, you can follow this process to update the engine/signatures:

http://www.microsoft...ns/howtowd.aspx

Hope this is helpful

From an article I saw on the net the other day.

I don't know if this has anything to do with the problem you're having but you might want to check the links in the article below to see if your machine is infected with the DNS Changer Malware. Hope this helps.

WASHINGTON – For computer users, a few mouse clicks could mean the difference between staying online and losing Internet connections this summer.

Unknown to most of them, their problem began when international hackers ran an online advertising scam to take control of infected computers around the world. In a highly unusual response, the FBI set up a safety net months ago using government computers to prevent Internet disruptions for those infected users. But that system is to be shut down.

The FBI is encouraging users to visit a website run by its security partner, www.dcwg.org, that will inform them whether they're infected and explain how to fix the problem. After July 9, infected users won't be able to connect to the Internet.

LONG ARM OF SCOFFLAW: An online ad scam is having some unintended ramifications: The fix may prevent as many as 360,000 from getting online. Several sites will show if you're infected:

DNS Changer Working Group: can discern whether you’re infected and explain how to fix the problem.

DNSChanger Eye Chart: if the site goes red, you’re in harm’s way. Green means clean.

The FBI website: type in the IP address of your DNS server to find out if it is infected.

Read more on how to stay safe SUMMARY

Most victims don't even know their computers have been infected, although the malicious software probably has slowed their web surfing and disabled their antivirus software, making their machines more vulnerable to other problems.

Well . . . . here's something more.

I went to another forum I'm a member of (1911 forum. org) and logged in, picked a short post and began a quoted reply just to see what happened.

NO DOUBLE POST. And there was also none of the momentary black out of my screen.

What the hey!!!??

HEY!! I may have discovered something!!

When I scroll all the way to the bottom of the page - I see "Jump to page" TWICE!! One directly below the other one.

And below THAT is a progress clock or whatever it's called and it's running. Is this something that should be there??

I don't recall ever seeing this in the previous version.

As suggested previously, clear the cache: http://www.java.com/...lp/webcache.xml

While on the test page that I suggested in my prior page, you'll see a java icon by your clock.

Right click on that icon and open the java control panel

post-1825-0-74588400-1335846304.png

After clicking "settings" in the java control panel, you'll have an option to "delete files" - do that.

Stop and start all browsers, and login to the forum again. See if that helps.

Leave the console up to look for errors when you click on buttons...

I have to deliberately click on that to get it to show. So you're saying that its already showing "jump to page"? Or that you click and 2 "jump to page" menus pop up?

post-1825-0-40036400-1335844087.png

Just by going to any page, such as this one, at the bottom of the page I see TWO "jump to page" windows - and the black GO buttons - one on top of the other.

And then there is that loading clock - or WHATEVER it is - and that is constantly running! DO you know what I mean when I say this? What is that "clock" thing that runs after you click on something and you're waiting for the picture or whatever you clicked on to load?

And don't misunderstand - I HAVEN'T CLICKED ON ANYTHING!! I just go to this or any page on this site and I have these two "jump tp Page windows like you showed - and the GO buttons and then that clock below them and it's running. That's about as clear as I can say it.

OK - taking this further - if for instance in this topic - if I'm on page one and click to page two, if I very quickly scroll to the bottom the "jump to" windows and the progress clock is not there. But in just a few seconds, there is the black flash in the page and the scroll button moves up by itself. And then if I scroll it back down, there are now the two jump to windows and buttons and the "progress clock."

What's that thing called, anyway??

I have to deliberately click on that to get it to show. So you're saying that its already showing "jump to page"? Or that you click and 2 "jump to page" menus pop up?

post-1825-0-40036400-1335844087.png

Just by going to any page, such as this one, at the bottom of the page I see TWO "jump to page" windows - and the black GO buttons - one on top of the other.

And then there is that loading clock - or WHATEVER it is - and that is constantly running! DO you know what I mean when I say this? What is that "clock" thing that runs after you click on something and you're waiting for the picture or whatever you clicked on to load?

And don't misunderstand - I HAVEN'T CLICKED ON ANYTHING!! I just go to this or any page on this site and I have these two "jump tp Page windows like you showed - and the GO buttons and then that clock below them and it's running. That's about as clear as I can say it.

Buzz, before we proceed - please try to remain calm. Its only a computer, buddy. Its ok to be frustrated, these things are frustrating, but dont let it get the best of you.

I understand what you are saying. I think the clock that you mention comes up when things are loading. You have now made it clear that you had not clicked on anything - its automatically running java scripts for some reason. I believe the clock you see is telling you the progress of the load.

I dont have an explanation as to why firefox is executing java scripts on its own. You've done a good job running through all the preliminary steps, but please confirm that you'd cleared out the java cache.

I'll be back after work to check in on you. I want to look at the "about:config" on your firefox and see if we can somehow reset that. If you would like to try out internet explorer in the mean time, you may do so by going to START | RUN | iexplore

I'm betting the same problem does not happen in internet explorer - if it does, then we need to be looking some place else.

Thanks - hang in there.

Sometimes if you update from old versions of Java it doesn't clear out the old stuff correctly. Sometimes you can even have multiple instances installed under add/remove programs. I would uninstall all Java, then reinstall latest.

Well I did run the java test as Pyre suggested. It found an old version, which I removed. You're sayin' throw everything out and reload, eh?

Sometimes if you update from old versions of Java it doesn't clear out the old stuff correctly. Sometimes you can even have multiple instances installed under add/remove programs. I would uninstall all Java, then reinstall latest.

Well I did run the java test as Pyre suggested. It found an old version, which I removed. You're sayin' throw everything out and reload, eh?

Sometimes it takes more time to troubleshoot and save what's there, then to just rip everything out and rebuild. As per our PM, you definitely had something wrong with Firefox - hopefully a reinstall will get it cleaned up, and peace will again be restored to the Buzz laptop.

Let us know how you do.

Archived