Shipping a gun from Illinois

Cratch

Question..I am about to sell a small semi-auto on Gunbroker.I understand that I have to ship to the buyer's FFL.Can I use UPS or Fed Ex,do I have to field strip the gun.What our our laws? I have shipped several firearms back to the manufacturer,but the transactions were always set up by the manufacturer.

Would it be cheaper for me to have a local FFL dealer handle the shipping? Thanks in advance.

Howdy,

I use the FFL for regular firearms, but when I ship C&R gun, I use FEDEX. I have provided them with my license & they bend over backwards for my shipments. I believe interstate firearm shipments must go FFL to FFL, but I not 100% positive about that. Good luck with your shipment.

jkrzos

Thanks.Do I inform Fedex that there is a firearm in the package?

I shipped a pistol to the manufacturer once for factory repair via FedEx. I disclosed that it was a gun. They were put off at first and then checked the regulations. It was allowable. It had to be shipped next day air. Ultimately... no problem. I presume the same would apply for shipping to an FFL. You must, I would think, make arrangements with the receiving FFL first. They may have knowledge of any other details.

Question..I am about to sell a small semi-auto on Gunbroker.I understand that I have to ship to the buyer's FFL.Can I use UPS or Fed Ex,do I have to field strip the gun.What our our laws? I have shipped several firearms back to the manufacturer,but the transactions were always set up by the manufacturer.

Would it be cheaper for me to have a local FFL dealer handle the shipping? Thanks in advance.

When I was looking into shipping a handgun it seemed to be a lot cheaper to send it via FFL to FFL. Going through FEDEX or UPS you have to use next day air which is very expensive. If you go through a FFL it cost the transfer fee plus about $15 to send it USPS Priority Mail.

It is costing me $45.00 on the Florida end for the seller to have his FFL guy ship it to my FFL guy. It's just a matter of both FFL guys sending and recieving each other's FFL license number.

It is costing me $45.00 on the Florida end for the seller to have his FFL guy ship it to my FFL guy. It's just a matter of both FFL guys sending and recieving each other's FFL license number.

There's more to it then that.

FFLs have to keep records that are subject to inspection by the ATF forever. I think it is ten years but that might as well be ten years.

They have expenses including the NICS and licensing fees to the Fed goverent and in many cases, their local governments. they have to pay sales taxes nd other business taxes. If they have even one employee that brings up all kinds of different expenses.

All that hhas to be paid for by charging for services as well as goods.

Even a "hobby" FFL has expoenses and the aggravation of the ATF hovering over their heads.

Shop around, there are FFLs that do it cheaper. Our own Kenny of KapGuns only charges $20 per transaction for Illinois Carry members and he also only charges actual cost to shipa firearm via USPS (usiually about $10 for maiing "if it fits it ships" and another $8-$10 for insurance.

The only time an FFL dealer can rip you off is when you let him. Some of them will but that's true in any business.

Shop around, there are FFLs that do it cheaper. Our own Kenny of KapGuns only charges $20 per transaction for Illinois Carry members and he also only charges actual cost to shipa firearm via USPS (usiually about $10 for maiing "if it fits it ships" and another $8-$10 for insurance.

That's my add on cost for the Florida FFL guy to handle and ship it. I don't have any control over that.

Archived