Reviews of IL CCW Classes- post them here

askoop

It has been a long time since I have posted anything on the forums, but thought that I might go ahead and give everyone my impression of the CCW class offered by Davis Covert Carry in Marseilles, Illinois. The class is made up of 16 hours of class and qualification range time. And it was cold…burrrr

Provided materials: NRA Basic Pistol packet and a copy of the Illinois CCW law. They also provided all the equipment for the range session(eye/ear protection, pistols and ammo).

Day 1-- Pretty basic stuff. What is a gun, what is ammo, how to load and unload a revolver and semi-auto, rules of gun safety. Cleaning and care of the pistol was also demonstrated. Everything required for the NRA basic pistol. The instructor made it fun, and interesting. And a very nice lunch was provided both days, and was very good.

Day 2-- Discussed legal issues and the CCW law line by line on a power point presentation, and videos, how and what you will need to apply for a permit up to that point in time, because the ISP is still setting policy. Did holster drawing with a laser pistol. Also took the question matching and true/false test. Qualification was done on site at the required 5,7, and 10 yards. I like the fact that the instructor didn’t push any particular pistol or holsters, but covered the basics. Overall I had a excellent experience and would recommend it to anyone.

I was in the first class taught by Elements Firearms, Glen Carbon. Second 8 hrs. Allen Keilman instructing. Very good class: thorough, IAW all requirements, professional presentation. Plus, training beyond the minimum: not just dry fire draw from conceal but also live fire draw from concealed. Thorough, professional, safe. Highly recommend.

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk HD

I was in the same class. I highly recommend Elements Firearms. Allen and his crew are top notch!

First I would like to say Grumpyashell is not really all that grumpy. That being said I just wanted to thank you for a nice review. I know that it is a major commitment of time and money to take the class. I think the law section is just as important if not more than the shooting or any other section. You already knew how to shoot, you probably didn't know the laws. As far as firearm and holster selection that's a personal decision everyone has to come up with on their own. All I can do is give pros and cons of each.

I took the 2 day class with Metro Training Group this week. The instructor, Andy Schroeder, was knowledgeable & competent and did a great with the classroom hours as well as the range time. Classroom and range time was at RKA in Plano. It's a nice facility; clean with good ventilation, and friendly people working there. I would highly recommend to anyone

I took the IL concealed carry class (second 8 hours) yesterday with CGS in Gurnee. It was a great class, could not recommend it enough. Thomas Kral was a great instructor. Very high on safety and making sure we all understood what was taught during class. The range time was great. It was one person per one instructor to make sure that every student had time to talk with the instructor and get advice if needed after every shot. Time flew by during class (which can be hard to say considering it was 'class'). Thomas did a great job keeping us engaged during the course. I would recommend this class to anyone who was thinking about taking a class.

I took the IL concealed carry class (second 8 hours) yesterday with CGS in Gurnee. It was a great class, could not recommend it enough. Thomas Kral was a great instructor. Very high on safety and making sure we all understood what was taught during class. The range time was great. It was one person per one instructor to make sure that every student had time to talk with the instructor and get advice if needed after every shot. Time flew by during class (which can be hard to say considering it was 'class'). Thomas did a great job keeping us engaged during the course. I would recommend this class to anyone who was thinking about taking a class.

Thanks Mike, great to meet you!

Took the Bass Pro class being offered by Security Guard College. It stared at 10 am and ended at 4pm or shortly after. Scheduled live fire range time at article 2 which I was told was going to take a half hr. I will be asking for a refund on this as this is nowhere near the16 hours required. Most of the class time was taken up by scheduling range time. It was a complete cluster$@#/.

Took the Bass Pro class being offered by Security Guard College. It stared at 10 am and ended at 4pm or shortly after. Scheduled live fire range time at article 2 which I was told was going to take a half hr. I will be asking for a refund on this as this is nowhere near the16 hours required. Most of the class time was taken up by scheduling range time. It was a complete cluster$@#/.

Let me guess.

They also had you do some 'online' portion of the class, and they also gave you a nra basic pistol certificate

Did Article II know that Bass Pro / Security Guard College was running a class through their range or did you guys just filter in and get lanes?

If an instructor has an arrangement with Article II it should be fairly organized.

If an instructor is trying to slip students in without making formal arrangements with Article II, and not carrying insurance and all that.. I can see how it would be a disorganized mess.

Havent done the range time yet. Thats jan 10th. Didnt get a cert either. Was told we'll get all that when we finish the training at the range on the 10th.

Check your PM. I'll help you out as much as I can.

pdpsc is one of the most helpful guys on this forum take him up on it.

Loctite/paint pen/regularly check your gear. A gun falling off your belt is unacceptable

Did Article II know that Bass Pro / Security Guard College was running a class through their range or did you guys just filter in and get lanes?

If an instructor has an arrangement with Article II it should be fairly organized.

If an instructor is trying to slip students in without making formal arrangements with Article II, and not carrying insurance and all that.. I can see how it would be a disorganized mess.

I have had a very straightforward conversation with the folks at Article II about bringing students in for range quals. There is no reason to "slip students in without making formal arrangements." They made it quite clear to me that if I was an instructor and was running range for a student (CCW, BP, or otherwise), that was between me and my student, and they have no issue with me using their range. I even cited examples of some of the hoops and hurdles I have had to jump through with other ranges, and he didn't get why they would make such a fuss. Of course, we probably know why, and it's not difficult to figure out, but their attitude was refreshing.

Any instructor in his right mind should carry insurance. I would rather spend $300/year than go bankrupt in the very unlikely event of an incident. That said, I was perfectly willing to show my instructor card and proof of insurance to the guy at Article II. He had no interest in seeing it.

I have also booked the private/tactical range there for a larger group, but lets not use that one point to judge the instructor. It sound like they are already engaging in enough shenanigans to be judged by.

As a side note, if this is Security Guard College, one of my early student contacts brought them to my attention as advertising classes and taking online registration long before curriculum was approved. I called them and verified that this was going on, and let them know that they were violating the act by doing so. They told me they were under the impression that once they were approved as instructors, their curriculum was already approved. They verified my points and changed their site and advertising. I chalked it up to a misunderstanding of the law. If, however, they are now running 16 hour classes in under 16 hours and not spending the required time on the range, I may need to change my assessment of their operation.

Copied my reply to the Top Shot thread...

Had an opportunity to take The top Shop Academy training Cabela’s on Dec 21-22. I did not know what to expect but in the end was very impressed with the training. Chip, Julian and team were all very professional, helpful and approachable with a relaxed atmosphere. Learned a lot and the class was a determine factor in some of my carrying options. The dry fire exercise and utilization of SIRT Training pistols was a great bonus! Since all the ranges I frequent do not allow drawing from a holster, I never had a chance to try it. The training pistols were a great opportunity and safe way to give it a shot. They provide pointers, tips and critiqued your draw, pull, stance. Something I wanted to point out is that everybody had a chance to utilize the training pistols and holsters. I say this because I have talk to people who have taken another class elsewhere early on and was provided direction on how to do it but never got a chance to try it. I think that is a big mistake.

Overall really like the course and I was also able to get my Arizona and Florida too. (And I loved the donuts!)

I have no problem in recommending (and I have) this class to friends, family and complete strangers.

Just got done with my Illinois Concealed Carry training with Trooper Trained in P'Ville,Il. GREAT class, very informative and very skilled at conveying points and laws. Answered any question anyone had and even brought alot of "what if" situations and put different twists on them to show the differences. The class ranged from novice to well versed in firearms. Again, Great class and i would recommend Trooper Trained to anyone.

didn't see mention of Mike Bius from illinoisgunpros.com but he did an excellent job...moreover...he kept you entertained the whole time...ie, not a boring lecture. 2nd 8 hour class(12/21/2013) great and moved along at a great pace with lots of good questions asked by classmates (Mike answered most of them with followup promised for ones he didn't have for sure answer about).

i initially took the 4 hour class (cause i already have my utah ccw). he did great there and thus i did the 2nd 8 hours with him as well. very personable, lots of real life situations, lots of emphasis on class is class...but, we all need to train train and perfect practice. :) he also made sure we always got a break every hour. just great overall. i was 100% happy i took course with mike.

shooting was done at article 2 (5 mins from lombard north ave. fairfield hotel where class was held) and was well coordinated.

his rates were very very reasonable as well. no doubt lots of great instructors out there...but, just wanted to make sure to give a review of Mike as well.

thanks again mike

Tam T.

Copied my reply to the Top Shot thread...

Had an opportunity to take The top Shop Academy training Cabela’s on Dec 21-22. I did not know what to expect but in the end was very impressed with the training. Chip, Julian and team were all very professional, helpful and approachable with a relaxed atmosphere. Learned a lot and the class was a determine factor in some of my carrying options. The dry fire exercise and utilization of SIRT Training pistols was a great bonus! Since all the ranges I frequent do not allow drawing from a holster, I never had a chance to try it. The training pistols were a great opportunity and safe way to give it a shot. They provide pointers, tips and critiqued your draw, pull, stance. Something I wanted to point out is that everybody had a chance to utilize the training pistols and holsters. I say this because I have talk to people who have taken another class elsewhere early on and was provided direction on how to do it but never got a chance to try it. I think that is a big mistake.

Overall really like the course and I was also able to get my Arizona and Florida too. (And I loved the donuts!)

I have no problem in recommending (and I have) this class to friends, family and complete strangers.

Thanks again MaxdOut. It was great having another IllinoisCarry member in class.

- chip

Here is a review that was sent to me by email:

I just completed my 16 hour course with Metro Training Group. I tend to be a private person, and as such I don’t post to the internet. Instead, I offer this review sent to my instructor with my permission to post it to the Illinois Carry site.

I live in DuPage. Article II is literally at the end of the street I work on, but I wasn’t shopping for the most convenient of the several more local venues teaching this curriculum. Instead, I drove a bit further out specifically to train with Daniel based solely on his reputation of being helpful and help was something I sorely needed.

I got to witness his accommodating nature the moment I first entered the classroom. He was busy setting up an email address for a senior citizen and helping him submit his FCCP online. It really set the tone for me, as most people I encounter these days wouldn’t have done that.

Since this class was scheduled for the 28th and 29th of December, and the proximity to the holidays on either side of it, the class size was small. Probably a bum deal for Metro, but a great deal for the students enrolled because we scored what amounted to private lessons. We were able to cover all the required material in depth and still have time to learn and dry practice range commands and other extras near the end of the first day.

The second day began with state mandated coverage of the FCCA. After lunch we moved to the firing range. Metro has worked it out with RKA range so that we can move around the to the front of the standard firing bench/booths which allowed us to practice contact shooting just out of holster among other drills that would have been impossible from behind the bench. This was a huge value add for me as I hadn’t received any prior formal training. Dan’s attention to detail and calm yet effective coaching literally got me on target.

There are scores of other local trainers. Some are Cheap (questionable as to what you get), some cut corners (good luck with that), and some may simply be close to home. I recommend you look past them and consider the implications of carrying a firearm. Given our political reality, living in Illinois never provided the non-enthusiast with incentive to train with a firearm outside of knowing you could shoot straight if someone broke in your home. Now that we are on the cusp of civilians legally exercising their 2nd amendment rights our training takes on a whole new level of importance. Cheap and lazy might land you in a world of hurt if it doesn’t outright kill you. I urge you to look up Metro, and get yourself the training you deserve from a guy who will treat you right.

I had to take all 16 hours unfortunately. What follows will be what I personally thought of just the ISP's portion of both parts. I had two different instructors for each of the two classes. They each made mention of what was the ISP content, and which was theirs.

In both classes, the ISP content was pretty lame. Most notably was in the first class. They went through what each type of firearm is (semi-auto, revolver), and then proceeded to describe the parts and how each operates. It is my opinion that if you don't know the difference between a semi-auto and a revolver and their parts and operation, why are you even considering taking a concealed carry class, or more importantly, why are you even considering carrying a firearm?

I'm pro second amendment to the extreme, well not extreme but I think everyone knows what I mean. I was just very perplexed at how long it's taken us to get a law on the books, and then to see the ISP's curriculum.

In part two they go through federal law, FOID act, etc. The only content that IMO was anywhere near related to the act of carrying a concealed weapon was extra content added by the instructors.

I guess in short, the ISP content, I felt is a joke. Everything they taught, should have been prior knowledge to everyone who is considering carrying a loaded weapon. The ISP content should have been focused more on the act of carrying, rules of engagement, etc. Knowing how a wheel gun operates shouldn't be included.

During the range qualification is where I was shocked. The target is literally a sasquatch! If you can't hit all 30 shots in the silhouette you should be disqualified. I'm far from being Annie Oakley with a handgun, but I'm quite confident I could have rapid fired all 30 rounds at the farthest distance and hit all inside the 8 circle.

There was one lady next to me who couldn't figure out how to operate her pistol, and there one another guy with a green laser that was bouncing around so bad, without even shooting off rounds that I sort of chuckled. His shots were all over the target.

As far as the ease of qualifying for a CCW, I couldn't have been happier. As far as who will be carrying, that left much to be desired.

I don't mean to ruffle any feathers here, this is just what I thought during the whole process. I'm interested in hearing if many of the fellow members here experienced much of the same.

I just got back from taking the 16 hour two day courses at SaferUsa in Waterman, IL. The head instructor David Lombardo was very knowledgeable and professional. The outdoor range was a brisk experience this weekend, but everything went relatively smoothly. Total cost was $300 for both days. David provided lunch both days, as well as provided .22 cal pistols and ammo for the range test. All in all I am very satisfied with the courses and would recomend his classes to anyone.

I had to take all 16 hours unfortunately. What follows will be what I personally thought of just the ISP's portion of both parts. I had two different instructors for each of the two classes. They each made mention of what was the ISP content, and which was theirs.

In both classes, the ISP content was pretty lame. Most notably was in the first class. They went through what each type of firearm is (semi-auto, revolver), and then proceeded to describe the parts and how each operates. It is my opinion that if you don't know the difference between a semi-auto and a revolver and their parts and operation, why are you even considering taking a concealed carry class, or more importantly, why are you even considering carrying a firearm?

I'm pro second amendment to the extreme, well not extreme but I think everyone knows what I mean. I was just very perplexed at how long it's taken us to get a law on the books, and then to see the ISP's curriculum.

In part two they go through federal law, FOID act, etc. The only content that IMO was anywhere near related to the act of carrying a concealed weapon was extra content added by the instructors.

I guess in short, the ISP content, I felt is a joke. Everything they taught, should have been prior knowledge to everyone who is considering carrying a loaded weapon. The ISP content should have been focused more on the act of carrying, rules of engagement, etc. Knowing how a wheel gun operates shouldn't be included.

During the range qualification is where I was shocked. The target is literally a sasquatch! If you can't hit all 30 shots in the silhouette you should be disqualified. I'm far from being Annie Oakley with a handgun, but I'm quite confident I could have rapid fired all 30 rounds at the farthest distance and hit all inside the 8 circle.

There was one lady next to me who couldn't figure out how to operate her pistol, and there one another guy with a green laser that was bouncing around so bad, without even shooting off rounds that I sort of chuckled. His shots were all over the target.

As far as the ease of qualifying for a CCW, I couldn't have been happier. As far as who will be carrying, that left much to be desired.

I don't mean to ruffle any feathers here, this is just what I thought during the whole process. I'm interested in hearing if many of the fellow members here experienced much of the same.

ISP does NOT have a curriculum. The ISP set minimum standards for instructors to write their own curricula.

I have not had any students near as bad as you had described and if I did I would certainly suggest some one on one coaching.

Tactical Security Institute gets my vote! I took the Utah and then Florida CCW classes with them and then most recently did the IL CCW with them with my daughter. Joe and Scott are IL LE and are very approachable and explain the laws from the LE's point of view. I highly recommend them.

You can check them out here: http://www.tsifirearms.com/

ISP does NOT have a curriculum. The ISP set minimum standards for instructors to write their own curricula.

I have not had any students near as bad as you had described and if I did I would certainly suggest some one on one coaching.

From the best I could tell, in the first 8 hours, the whole curriculum (powerpoint slides) was the NRA intro to pistols with the ISP's logo on each slide along with the company my buddy and I went with.

Everything that was above and beyond the minimum required is the content that was valuable.

Certified yesterday and today with Chip, Julian and the team from top shot. I will definitely be recommending them to anyone that asks! The instruction on how to properly draw from a holster using the SIRT pistols was a great lesson. Thank you guys and I'm glad I brought my extra flannel for the range :)

Glad to have you in class. Sorry the range was so cold....they had some issues with their freeze protection.

- chip

From the best I could tell, in the first 8 hours, the whole curriculum (powerpoint slides) was the NRA intro to pistols with the ISP's logo on each slide along with the company my buddy and I went with.

Everything that was above and beyond the minimum required is the content that was valuable.

The ISP didn't give instructors a PowerPoint presentation. That instructor must have added the ISP logo to a PowerPoint presentation he made or otherwise obtained. I am guessing that the ISP would frown upon instructors showing their logo on every PowerPoint slide as if the material on that slide was written or endorsed by the ISP.

Archived