FTIP delays - waiting 2 weeks to date.

wjs81866

So whats preventing the state government from stating 5,10,30 or more days is acceptable, how about 6 months to a year or more?

That gives the state the ability to take gun sales to a crawl and prevent sales. Why it has not been challenged is somewhat of a mystery.

You're right, that's why the feds passed a Brady Date for those states that go by federal law. There needs to be a challenge to state law. To be honest, it might backfire on us, the state might implement a 10 day waiting period instead of the 3 we already have. Anything is possible in IL...

Again, the regulation is clear, 72 hours after running the check, if its not denied, its allowed to proceed.

I have the regulation framed and hung on the wall of the shop.

Im not making a case on one side or the other, but you and the ISP seem to have a difference of opinion on this. Their opinion from what I can tell is no approval response, no transfer.
Where is the isp take on this?

ISPFSB FFL FAQhttps://www.ispffl.com/Public/FAQ.aspx

7. What happens if a customer orders a firearm, and when he or she comes in to pick it up, ISP issues something other than an approval on the FTIP?

The actual transfer of the firearm cannot take place until there is an approval from the FTIP system, regardless of when the agreement was reached. If the FFL receives a transaction number, they cannot complete the transfer until they receive an approval

JCAR guidelineshttps://www.ilga.gov/commission/jcar/admincode/020/02001235sections.html

Section 1235.90 Response Procedures

...The Department shall provide, during the initial dealer inquiry, an approval, denial, or conditional denial of the transfer. The time period for the Department to respond shall begin at the time the inquiry is received. When the Department provides a conditional denial, the dealer shall not transfer the firearm until an approval is provided by the Department or the length of time prescribed in Section 24-3 of the Criminal Code of 1961 [720 ILCS 5/24.3] has been exceeded. Failure of the Department to provide an approval or denial within the prescribed length of time does not relieve the dealer from compliance with any other statutory restrictions on firearm transfers. Regardless of the requirements of this Part, transactions must comply with all State and federal firearm laws....

Appreciate the links, but the FAQ does not jive with what the posted law says.

I bought a new shotgun at Bass Pro this past Saturday, so I'm 4 days into this nonsense. It'll be interesting to see how long this takes. Ironic isn't it that I am standing at the gun counter with a pistol on my hip, but I have to wait what may become several weeks to get a lousy over and under shotgun. The state thinks I may do something rash if I get that shotgun soon. Got to cool down you know.

So 8/9 was 30 days. I called my FFL and he said we could run it again, he called this time and someone actually answered. He gave them all the info and of course! DELAYED

So i don't know what else to do, I guess they can hold this up indefinitely and if I don't like it I can go pound sand.

From my understanding it's Illinois as usual but of course these days everyone blames everything on COVID.

So I wait.

When applying for a UPIN, can copies of electronic fingerprints be submitted with the application or do they need to be hard copy?

Dont know if current or accurate...

https://www.fbi.gov/services/cjis/nics/national-instant-criminal-background-check-system-nics-appeals-vaf

...Submitting Your Fingerprints with the VAF Application

You are required to submit your fingerprints as part of your VAF application. Most local police departments and sheriff’s offices can assist with fingerprints, though you may have to pay a fingerprint fee.

VAF accepts electronic scanned fingerprint images, but you must request your fingerprint agency print you a copy of those images. Submit the copy with your VAF application.

If your fingerprint card is rejected, you will receive a response letter with instructions on re-submitting.

The agency rolling your fingerprints must include the following on your fingerprint card:

agency name and address

agency phone number

legible signature of the official taking the fingerprints

Originating Agency Identifier Number, if applicable....

When applying for a UPIN, can copies of electronic fingerprints be submitted with the application or do they need to be hard copy?

Dont know if current or accurate...https://www.fbi.gov/services/cjis/nics/national-instant-criminal-background-check-system-nics-appeals-vaf

...Submitting Your Fingerprints with the VAF Application

You are required to submit your fingerprints as part of your VAF application. Most local police departments and sheriff’s offices can assist with fingerprints, though you may have to pay a fingerprint fee.

VAF accepts electronic scanned fingerprint images, but you must request your fingerprint agency print you a copy of those images. Submit the copy with your VAF application.

If your fingerprint card is rejected, you will receive a response letter with instructions on re-submitting.

The agency rolling your fingerprints must include the following on your fingerprint card:

agency name and address

agency phone number

legible signature of the official taking the fingerprints

Originating Agency Identifier Number, if applicable....

Thank you for the information. Does it have to be a law enforcement agency or will a fingerprinting service from the following link work? Just want to know my options.

https://www.idfpr.com/LicenseLookUp/fingerprintlist.asp

Does a UPIN even help in Illannoy? I was told that a UPIN was useless here because Illannoy uses FTIP and UPIN is just for NICS. My background check finally cleared yesterday after a 15 day wait.

Does a UPIN even help in Illannoy? I was told that a UPIN was useless here because Illannoy uses FTIP and UPIN is just for NICS. My background check finally cleared yesterday after a 15 day wait.

Good question and not sure. I figured why not it and can't hurt. If anyone has any input on this, please chime in.

My local PD will take the prints, I just need to supply the cards. The fd-258 fingerprint card can be printed from the FBI website and it says they'll accept on regular white paper. However, I'm going to fedex kinko's to see if they can print on something more durable.

Glad your background check finally cleared. Hopefully my first delay gets cleared by the same time frame and the rest follow suit.

^^^^ Each transaction is being controlled by each FFL and their own policies these days

It won’t suprise anyone if it’s a week more for the approval

The again it wouldn’t be out of the stretch if it only took three days

And lastly, it could be as simple as showing up and signing the 4473 and walking out with your new toy

I see, yep, it is what it is. Although it would be nice to fire my new little hand cannon on saturday.

I got a instant approval before I even got the 4473 filled out!

Didnt even have to wait either, we just post dated the paper work, bam done!

Havent moved

Havent changed my name

Havent changed my marital status

Havent lost or added any weight

Havent changed my hair color

Do not have a name like anyone else in America

I always wear sweats when making ALL firearm purchases

Always use Discovery CC for all purchases

Never buy boosts at the same time as a firearm, red flag

So now we gave a list for those who are having problems

Be sure to PM me if you have another glitch which might be an issue, Ill update this list

I got a instant approval before I even got the 4473 filled out!

Didnt even have to wait either, we just post dated the paper work, bam done!

Havent moved

Havent changed my name

Havent changed my marital status

Havent lost or added any weight

Havent changed my hair color

Do not have a name like anyone else in America

I always wear sweats when making ALL firearm purchases

Always use Discovery CC for all purchases

Never buy boosts at the same time as a firearm, red flag

So now we gave a list for those who are having problems

Be sure to PM me if you have another glitch which might be an issue, Ill update this list

Made a purchase in mid June and was instantly approved. Guy behind the counter was even kinda shocked. He was talking about processing being a little delayed, and then looked back at the computer like 30 seconds later and was like "Oh, you already came back approved." Showed up exactly 72 hours later and walked out with my purchase. That was an in-person purchase. Just ordered a TP9SF Elite online, so I'll see what happens when that arrives. I believe it's supposed to be at the FFL by Friday. Will update when I go to pick it up.

Archived