Chicago registration wait time?

McCroskey

Have my FOID and CFP. Mailed off registration for a handgun and a couple rifles on the 19th, but haven't heard anything and the check for the registration fee hasn't been cashed yet. I'm just wondering how long other folks in Chicago have been waiting for their registrations to process?

It usually takes a couple weeks. Usually not more. I am waiting on one as well, maybe they are backed up. Most of the folks working there are good people, trying to help, and sympathetic. They don't write the laws, they comply with them just like we do.

And while we are on the topic -- have they moved the gun registration back to HQ? Didn't like the southside location, but at least they had parking.

Yep. But there is no reason to go there once you have your CFP. I always mail my registrations in using standard first class postal and have had no issues.

My registrations have taken about a week. For two registrations, I dropped it off in person on Monday and had it in the mail Friday. It takes about two weeks when I mail it in. I noticed you said you sent your registrations (three it seems). You can only register one gun every 30 days is my understanding of the ordinance. Not sure if you just moved to the city, however, and are registering all firearms now.

I agree with FF, the folks working there are very helpful. Recently, a person working to counter suggested I get my CFP reduced to the size of a credit card and laminated. It makes it much more portable. I hesitated to do so before as I thought an over zealous police officer would give me a problem. The person working the counter said as long as they can read it, I should be fine.

You can only register one gun every 30 days is my understanding of the ordinance. Not sure if you just moved to the city, however, and are registering all firearms now.

That's actually only true of handguns, you can register as many long guns as you want.

I agree with FF, the folks working there are very helpful. Recently, a person working to counter suggested I get my CFP reduced to the size of a credit card and laminated. It makes it much more portable. I hesitated to do so before as I thought an over zealous police officer would give me a problem. The person working the counter said as long as they can read it, I should be fine.

I was shocked at how friendly and helpful they were, especially after all the Daley anti-gun crap over the past 22 years, and now Rahmbo more or less Daley part 2. But as the statistics show, the gun ban didn't have any affect on violent crimes in this city and it's obviously an issue for the politicians who are looking for a goat to blame for rampant crime. As far as I can tell the cops couldn't care less about the whole thing as long as people follow the rules. The people at 35 and Mich seemed happy that I was just making the effort and were very polite and helpful. They also suggested laminating my CFP and I was also not so sure about doing that. My Dad was a 31 year veteran, so I've heard all the stories and know what honest cops really care about. And Mr. McDonald got us our minimal rights back, so the least I can do is respect that and follow the rules.

Anyway, seems like I'll just have to wait it out. I wish they'd at least cash the check so I know it's not lost in the mail somewhere.

Additionally, I also applied for my C&R a few weeks ago and sent the mandatory copy to police headquarters, so maybe they're reviewing that.

You can only register one gun every 30 days is my understanding of the ordinance. Not sure if you just moved to the city, however, and are registering all firearms now.

That's actually only true of handguns, you can register as many long guns as you want.

I REALLY need to read the ordinance like a lawyer. Just read the registration section again and saw the word handguns stated. Thanks. That is good to know.

I was shocked at how friendly and helpful they were, especially after all the Daley anti-gun crap over the past 22 years, and now Rahmbo more or less Daley part 2. But as the statistics show, the gun ban didn't have any affect on violent crimes in this city and it's obviously an issue for the politicians who are looking for a goat to blame for rampant crime. As far as I can tell the cops couldn't care less about the whole thing as long as people follow the rules. The people at 35 and Mich seemed happy that I was just making the effort and were very polite and helpful. They also suggested laminating my CFP and I was also not so sure about doing that. My Dad was a 31 year veteran, so I've heard all the stories and know what honest cops really care about. And Mr. McDonald got us our minimal rights back, so the least I can do is respect that and follow the rules.

Anyway, seems like I'll just have to wait it out. I wish they'd at least cash the check so I know it's not lost in the mail somewhere.

Additionally, I also applied for my C&R a few weeks ago and sent the mandatory copy to police headquarters, so maybe they're reviewing that.

I'm hoping this registration requirement goes away soon.

Recently, a person working to counter suggested I get my CFP reduced to the size of a credit card and laminated. It makes it much more portable. I hesitated to do so before as I thought an over zealous police officer would give me a problem. The person working the counter said as long as they can read it, I should be fine.

Interesting. I may have to try this. Are we just talking bout reducing it on a copier and getting some of that lamination stuff, or having it done professionally?

http://www.google.com/search?q=honey+i+shrunk+the+kids&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari

It's probably okay to shrink. Does the Chicago municipal code require you to have the permission slip on your person? Does the municipal code invalidate the CFP if shrunk to kid-like dimensions? My guess from having read lots of those municipal codes is size does not matter in this case. (haha)

http://www.google.co...n&client=safari

It's probably okay to shrink. Does the Chicago municipal code require you to have the permission slip on your person? Does the municipal code invalidate the CFP if shrunk to kid-like dimensions? My guess from having read lots of those municipal codes is size does not matter in this case. (haha)

I'm thinking that they will eventually come out with a normal, wallet-sized ID like the FOID. The silly paper things we have to fill out currently are a temporary thing because Daley fully expected to win the Supreme Court case.

In other news, I checked my voicemail and had a message from the PD asking me to fax over copies of my DL, FOID and CFP. Guess that was the holdup.

• 2 weeks later...

Registrations arrived yesterday and all set to go. I gave the registration desk a call last week to make sure they received my ID fax and they were again helpful and polite. So at least there's that.

Now I just need to wait 30 days before I can buy the Tokarev I want.

Recently, a person working to counter suggested I get my CFP reduced to the size of a credit card and laminated. It makes it much more portable. I hesitated to do so before as I thought an over zealous police officer would give me a problem. The person working the counter said as long as they can read it, I should be fine.

Interesting. I may have to try this. Are we just talking bout reducing it on a copier and getting some of that lamination stuff, or having it done professionally?

I shrunk it down and hand it laminated at Kinkos. Total cost about $4. They even has credit card dive lamination blanks that make the final product look really clean.

I'm thinking that they will eventually come out with a normal, wallet-sized ID like the FOID. The silly paper things we have to fill out currently are a temporary thing because Daley fully expected to win the Supreme Court case.

I had a CFP 20 years ago. It was a massive 4x6 index card sized monster that looks like a ticket for a 4th grade school carnival.

I just got a new one, it's size?..... See above.

They won't change unless someone sues to make them.

It took one month, almost to the day to get mine.

I had a CFP 20 years ago. It was a massive 4x6 index card sized monster that looks like a ticket for a 4th grade school carnival.

I just got a new one, it's size?..... See above.

They won't change unless someone sues to make them.

It took one month, almost to the day to get mine.

Since it doesn't do anything for you outside of your home, I'd guess that a "suitable for framing" size is appropriate.

Since it doesn't do anything for you outside of your home, I'd guess that a "suitable for framing" size is appropriate.

I believe Chicago residents must have proof of their CFP and registration when transporting through the city.

Non residents don't need to comply with that since they can't have a CFP or registration.

There ya go... That makes sense. If I had one I'd shrink it just for fun, sort of a party favor! Hoping it will all go away before I need one.

I believe Chicago residents must have proof of their CFP and registration when transporting through the city.

Non residents don't need to comply with that since they can't have a CFP or registration.

Wait wait, Say I am a will country resident. Can I drive through chicago with a firearm?

Will I end up in jail if pulled over?

Wait wait, Say I am a will country resident. Can I drive through chicago with a firearm?

Yes, you can drive through, and even stop for less than 24 hours. However, not only must your firearms be encased, unloaded AND inaccessible, they must also be broken down into a non-functioning state.

I believe that you can if just passing through, unloaded and in a case with a FOID card. IANAL though.

From The Slum Times

Chicago aldermen rework city’s gun law to satisfy federal judge

BY FRAN SPIELMAN City Hall Reporter fspielman@suntimes.com July 19, 2012 11:26AM

Updated: July 19, 2012 6:08PM

Chicago aldermen agreed Thursday to reload the city’s gun law in hopes of satisfying the federal judge who shot it down.

The latest version of the firearms ordinance was rushed into place in 2010 after the U.S. Supreme Court overturned Chicago’s 28-year-old handgun ban, the latest in a series of setbacks to the city’s efforts to control the proliferation of firearms.

In a ruling last month, U.S. District Judge Samuel Der-Yeghiayan left the ordinance largely intact but shot down the section used to deny a man a gun permit because of a prior misdemeanor conviction.

Der-Yeghiayan ruled that section “unconstitutionally void for vagueness” and said it violated Shawn Gowder’s right to keep and bear arms under the Second Amendment of the U.S. Constitution.

On Thursday, the City Council’s Committee on Public Safety approved Mayor Rahm Emanuel’s latest rewrite.

The new version would permanently bar anyone who has been convicted of a felony violent crime and impose a five-year ban on anyone convicted of a misdemeanor violent crime.

Deputy corporation counsel Mike Forti predicted the latest version would pass legal muster.

“He focused on whether or not there could be a lifetime ban for nonviolent misdemeanors,” Forti said. “What we’ve done here is not only address specifics of the Gowder case but go slightly beyond it to [say] that all nonviolent misdemeanors do not constitute a ban to getting a gun permit. So we’re quite confident it’s gonna easily satisfy the court’s ruling.

“It’s very serious if someone has committed a violent misdemeanor. What we tried to do is balance the seriousness of those crimes with an individual’s right to exercise their 2nd Amendment [rights]. We thought a permanent ban might be too excessive but that a five-year ban was reasonable.”

Forti noted that the U.S. Supreme Court’s 2010 ruling that overturned Chicago’s handgun ban specifically pointed out that “felonies may be a basis for depriving people of the ability to exercise” their right to bear arms.

Emanuel has called tougher gun laws a pivotal piece of Chicago’s crime-fighting strategy, and his efforts to reduce a nearly 40 percent spike in homicides.

“You cannot have just more cops on the street. It’s part of a comprehensive strategy you’ve heard me talk about…Our crime strategy is putting more police on the street and getting kids, guns and drugs off the street,” the mayor said on the day after the latest legal setback.

On Thursday, Forti agreed. The rewrite is expected to be approved by the full City Council next week in what’s expected to be its last meeting before a summer recess.

“We have, from the beginning since [the now-overturned handgun ban] tried to implement reasonable gun laws to try to, in part, address the serious violence we’re all facing,” he said. “If we did away and wiped clean and had no gun laws, crime would increase, and we would have a more violent society.”

The only point of contention Thursday was raised by Ald. Nick Sposato (36th). He complained about the requirement that 18-year-olds — who can vote, fight for their country and sometimes live alone without parents — get a “parental signature” before qualifying for a gun permit.

http://www.suntimes....eral-judge.html

They seem to be getting savvy at last. I think they are correct in their conclusion that their 5-yr ban for violent misdemeanors will pass judicial review. I'm not so sure about a permanent ban for violent felons. Technically even Federal law doesn't have a permanent ban though it is effectively one due to the lack of funding.

Archived