SB1293 Prohibited Places

Grey Beret

This is a good thread. A lot of good discussion.....

Dave >>> A friend of mine has the neatest "gun storage" device I've seen. It is a bible. Says so right on the front cover "Holy Bible". Except it is actually a storage box that holds his pistol when necessary. Doesn't look fancy or expensive or new -- just looks like a well used bible laying there on the seat or console of his truck... Now what self-respecting gutter thief breaks into a car to steal an old used bible...???

Grey >>> I've been troubled with this whole college/university thing since clear back in 148. College campuses will remain a free fire zone as long as they insist on disarming all their law abiding occupants. I don't know how to fix that when they refuse to face reality....

Dave >>> A friend of mine has the neatest "gun storage" device I've seen. It is a bible. Says so right on the front cover "Holy Bible". Except it is actually a storage box that holds his pistol when necessary. Doesn't look fancy or expensive or new -- just looks like a well used bible laying there on the seat or console of his truck... Now what self-respecting gutter thief breaks into a car to steal an old used bible...???

I've found that some of my video game limited editions can hold a gun neatly. My .380 fits in the disc case spot for Fable III or Tron Evolution, and my .40 fits in the Master Chief helmet from Halo 3.

I should take some pics sometime, lol

I read the university language like this. They can prohibit carry on any property or conveyance they own or control. However, this would seem to leave public roads and sidewalks alone, as in there is a pass through allowance (which is consistent throughout this bill.)

Also of note, it is specified they must designate parking areas for vehicles containing firearms, so firearms are obviously not prohibited from their property in its entirety. The complete prohibition in vehicles are those vehicles that the college owns.

Overall, I have yet to find an instance where one's ability to carry to or from anywhere is totally prohibited, as there are remedies such as unloaded/cased carry and safe passage provisions consistent throughout.

Instance one: I personally am unable to leave a firearm or ammo in my vehicle while at work, I work at a nuke plant.

You are correct. But, is that not a Federal Restriction? Paragraphs 22 and 23 are excepted as places where carry is prohibited totally on the property.

I've found that some of my video game limited editions can hold a gun neatly. My .380 fits in the disc case spot for Fable III or Tron Evolution, and my .40 fits in the Master Chief helmet from Halo 3.

I should take some pics sometime, lol

Just don't use the Grand Theft Auto IV box ROFL

http://media.t3.com/img/resized/gr/xl_Grand_Theft_Auto_IV_Special.jpg

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/6192/3431gtaivspecialeditionth3.jpg

Well it does have a lock, not that it would be very difficult to break open though :( (and hey, I don't recall actually getting that duffel sack with mine :(). I like the Halo helmet idea too (have one of those too :)).

In my circumstances under this bill it appears as if i will be able to carry 99% of my daily life.. I personally already avoid bars due to fools and overprices drinks, festivals as i generally prefer wildlife over large masses of people, refuse to go to chicago (rockford is close enough) at all costs so mass transit is not an issue, do not ever go to any campuses, rarely (maybe once every few years ever need to go to any gov building) avoid city parks as i prefer county parks (this is my biggest concern), use the drive thru at the bank, and will find friendly private businesses that will get my dollars. I guess i am one of the lucky ones :D

I made a comment about 2 this morning about having a vision of Davis, Flowers, Williams, Nekritz, and Persnickety in a group singing THE WILD WILD WEST --- THE WILD WILD WEST.... (I make no claims of sobriety at the time)

I am sure this state will experience a period of growth and adjustment but I honestly do not believe there will be witch hunts -- for sure not after the first couple defendants collect their incredibly large award checks.... We need to get past our fears and paranoia if we expect the other side to get past theirs...

If you folks want to worry about something, here is something real to worry about and I will personally guarantee it will happen to everyone of us eventually.... As you become more experienced with carrying, and you find what provides the most comfortable method for you, the risk then becomes that you forget it is there and walk in somewhere that you shouldn't...... I've done it. Wait until the first time you forget you have a gun and you walk into your local bank -- that one will get your attention once the light bulb comes on -- and you will be amazed how quickly manage to walk back out...!!!

OH. And I'm pretty sure you really meant to type "where a UUW is taking place, not a AUUW"...... If the A part was true then you deserve to get arrested.... :drool:

I'm really not trying to insult either of you two, but, where does anything say anything about a bank being off limits!!!??? The only thing that would make a bank off limits is when that bank decides to post a sign stating no firearms. Which yes, I'm sure many / most, if not all will do (at least initially). Banks are just business's too, they post the sign, I'll take my business elsewhere. This subject matter actually "strikes close to home" because I have family in Wisconsin, and when they first passed their CCWP the bank my family used posted a sign. After having a conversation with the manager (and locating a bank that actually didn't put up such sign after all attempts to 'sway' the manager didn't succeed), my family member switched banks. Which took a while, even there, because initially (there too) many places [fearfully] put up signs fobidding people from carrying on said business's premises.

Which actually I should highlight the importance of not just threatening to take your business elsewhere, actually doing it, really could and will have impact once they realize they're losing enough business over the subject (banks or any other business). This I know first hand too because of the bank I just spoke of. They must have started losing more business besides my family because as of recent, my family has informed me that, the very bank in question has removed that sign. After confirming it as an actual policy change (and not just a matter of "the sign fell off" LOL) my family has actually switched BACK to that bank!

So, once the dust settles (a bill becomes law, and they actually start issuing permits [and business's start posting their "no firearms" signs]) we need to speak with our dollars FOR SURE! We CANNOT support business's that do not support our right to protect ourselves (and that includes banks)!

In my circumstances under this bill it appears as if i will be able to carry 99% of my daily life.. I personally already avoid bars due to fools and overprices drinks, festivals as i generally prefer wildlife over large masses of people, refuse to go to chicago (rockford is close enough) at all costs so mass transit is not an issue, do not ever go to any campuses, rarely (maybe once every few years ever need to go to any gov building) avoid city parks as i prefer county parks (this is my biggest concern), use the drive thru at the bank, and will find friendly private businesses that will get my dollars. I guess i am one of the lucky ones :D

I made a comment about 2 this morning about having a vision of Davis, Flowers, Williams, Nekritz, and Persnickety in a group singing THE WILD WILD WEST --- THE WILD WILD WEST.... (I make no claims of sobriety at the time)

I am sure this state will experience a period of growth and adjustment but I honestly do not believe there will be witch hunts -- for sure not after the first couple defendants collect their incredibly large award checks.... We need to get past our fears and paranoia if we expect the other side to get past theirs...

If you folks want to worry about something, here is something real to worry about and I will personally guarantee it will happen to everyone of us eventually.... As you become more experienced with carrying, and you find what provides the most comfortable method for you, the risk then becomes that you forget it is there and walk in somewhere that you shouldn't...... I've done it. Wait until the first time you forget you have a gun and you walk into your local bank -- that one will get your attention once the light bulb comes on -- and you will be amazed how quickly manage to walk back out...!!!

OH. And I'm pretty sure you really meant to type "where a UUW is taking place, not a AUUW"...... If the A part was true then you deserve to get arrested.... :drool:

I'm really not trying to insult either of you two, but, where does anything say anything about a bank being off limits!!!??? The only thing that would make a bank off limits is when that bank decides to post a sign stating no firearms. Which yes, I'm sure many / most, if not all will do (at least initially). Banks are just business's too, they post the sign, I'll take my business elsewhere. This subject matter actually "strikes close to home" because I have family in Wisconsin, and when they first passed their CCWP the bank my family used posted a sign. After having a conversation with the manager (and locating a bank that actually didn't put up such sign after all attempts to 'sway' the manager didn't succeed), my family member switched banks. Which took a while, even there, because initially (there too) many places [fearfully] put up signs fobidding people from carrying on said business's premises.

Which actually I should highlight the importance of not just threatening to take your business elsewhere, actually doing it, really could and will have impact once they realize they're losing enough business over the subject (banks or any other business). This I know first hand too because of the bank I just spoke of. They must have started losing more business besides my family because as of recent, my family has informed me that, the very bank in question has removed that sign. After confirming it as an actual policy change (and not just a matter of "the sign fell off" LOL) my family has actually switched BACK to that bank!

So, once the dust settles (a bill becomes law, and they actually start issuing permits [and business's start posting their "no firearms" signs]) we need to speak with our dollars FOR SURE! We CANNOT support business's that do not support our right to protect ourselves (and that includes banks)!

Same thing happened with MO. Lots of signs went up. After a few years, the signs, (most of which were just paper in the windows) start looking shabby, many businesses just eliminated the signs. Schnucks stores had actually helped kill the CCW law in MO the first go-around. When it finally pass 10 years ago, they posted all stores. A few years ago they decided it was all a big worry about nothing and eliminated the anti-gun policy. No-Guns=No Money cards were left at many businesses and they were very effective.

Archived