What auto-opening knife are you going to buy?

C0untZer0

Right...

Like a determined rapist or killer isn't going to just use a sharpened butter knife or a sharpened screwdriver or some cheap kitchen knife, no, they'll use the $420.00 "auto" knife instead because those are so much more dangerous.

That's woman's brain doesn't work right...

Machine (D)himmocrat... did it ever?

Wondering how many months it will take to convince vendors to ship to the state because the He** froze over and a law allowing it was passed.

Because they're not "evil guns" most sellers don't care if they're legal to carry because they're probably legal to own. It's up to the purchaser to determine laws in their state of residence.

I'll be getting some flavor of Microtech.

Maybe also a Benchmade.

Who knows. Thankfully after it's signed it takes 60 days before it takes effect because I just spent a whole lot of money on a new gun lol.

DD123, be sure to check the Benchmade Infidel. It is an out the front opener with enough force to tear clothing. You can get a plain edge or serrated. Carried one throughout the M.E. Never failed me with proper cleaning and sharpening. Do shop around as prices vary.

Way back when we were 12 and under, I saw more switchblades than I've seen the rest of my life

That must have been around the time they were outlawed. Funny thing is, I never remembered switchblades just jumping up on their own to start stabbing everyone, but suddenly they were all gone anyway. What a strange time that was.

Way back when we were 12 and under, I saw more switchblades than I've seen the rest of my life

That must have been around the time they were outlawed. Funny thing is, I never remembered switchblades just jumping up on their own to start stabbing everyone, but suddenly they were all gone anyway. What a strange time that was.

Yet auto knives are openly displayed and sold at gun shows now, even with LE standing next to table. A long time ago you had to go ask the right dealer that had the special case under the table not on display.

Maybe also a Benchmade.

Who knows. Thankfully after it's signed it takes 60 days before it takes effect because I just spent a whole lot of money on a new gun lol.

DD123, be sure to check the Benchmade Infidel. It is an out the front opener with enough force to tear clothing. You can get a plain edge or serrated. Carried one throughout the M.E. Never failed me with proper cleaning and sharpening. Do shop around as prices vary.

Thanks! I'll take a look at that one. I'm torn between BM and Microtech. Might get one of each lol.

Way back when we were 12 and under, I saw more switchblades than I've seen the rest of my life That must have been around the time they were outlawed. Funny thing is, I never remembered switchblades just jumping up on their own to start stabbing everyone, but suddenly they were all gone anyway. What a strange time that was.

I've seen some that I wouldn't trust in my pocket regardless of whether it had a safety or not.

Like a lorcin, but a knife.

Maybe also a Benchmade.

Is that accurate? I thought the wording of the bill was "Effective Immediately"...

Ultratech D/E for me, Had my eye on one for a couple of years, just waiting for a cold spell down below so that I could get it without becoming a felon...

Maybe also a Benchmade.

Is that accurate? I thought the wording of the bill was "Effective Immediately"...

Ultratech D/E for me, Had my eye on one for a couple of years, just waiting for a cold spell down below so that I could get it without becoming a felon...

Effective immediately...as soon as it becomes law. That happens on governor signing or after 60 days once received with no guv action

Maybe also a Benchmade.

Effective immediately...as soon as it becomes law. That happens on governor signing or after 60 days once received with no guv action

Oh wow, for whatever reason I thought it took effect 60 days after he signs it. I'd better start deciding what I want now lol

I carry a Boker Kalshnikov. Unfortunately, I have to leave it at home when I visit my daughter in Skokie (as well as my Lasermax).

Does IL prohibit AO knives (assisted opening) even if they're under the length limit?

No, AO's are fine (and have been all along) as long as the knife is otherwise legal.

D2 is tool steel. It's heavy and a royal b to sharpen.

That's because it's harder and tougher than any stainless alloy. It does take more time and work to sharpen; however, it will take a finer edge than stainless, and that edge will last a lot longer before it needs sharpening again.

Whether it's a noticeable difference for an average person is debatable, but it does have benefits.

Raven Crest Tactical OTF. look it up and watch the videos. Impressive

I'd never heard of them before; I just spent 20 minutes poking around their site, and I must say I'm impressed. I especially like that (unlike other OTF manufacturers), they recommend, and instruct owners in, disassembly and maintenance.

The one thing that's stopping me from pulling the trigger (as it were) is that they don't offer any blades in decent steels. I can't imagine ever paying over $50 for any knife in 440 stainless; it's about the cheapest steel you can make a knife from, and though it'll take a usable edge, it won't hold that edge at all.

As a comparison, the Ultratech I've been looking at costs about the same as their OTF, has a solid reputation for quality, and comes with a blade made from Elmax, which is one of the top two knife steels on the market currently.

I may send them an email and ask if they'd offer a blade option in a better steel...

If you click the military/police or whatever checkbox on checkout most everyone will just ship them.

If you just looking for something to open a box with when you only have one hand free the S&W for $29.95 is just fine.

They don't make "true" stilettos anymore (that I've seen), true meaning you can put it tight against something and it'll go in or push you hand away. The old style used to do that and typically the back end had a removable s cap you put on the blade and you had to push it against a wall/concrete to store the blade back away. Not this click click in out stuff.

I have a pair of CutCo Kitchen shears that are super useful. I found myself doing more and more stuff with the shears.

I've heard people on knife forums say that there aren't any auto-OTF knives under $100.00 worth having, that they just won't hold up... but I can't plunk down $400 for an OTF auto-knife when I still don't have a 9mm carbine yet..

Archived