Scammers allegedly spoofing ISP phone numbers

InterestedBystander

Didnt want to put this in back room where there is limited viewing.

I cant find where the ISP posts press releases...help from anyone on that?

Not that this would relate to FOID/CCL but better to be aware

This is from capitol fax

...* Press release

Illinois State Police (ISP) officials have received multiple calls from the public concerning suspected scam calls. Various ISP districts throughout the state have received reports from citizens stating they have received calls from individuals with a foreign accent claiming to be members of the Illinois State Police seeking their personal information. ...

https://capitolfax.com/wp-mobile.php?p=44530

Foreign sounding...asking for personal info acting outside/ignoring the law...claiming from ISP...

Hmmm....May not be a scam...

(Not purple)

Care to explain your meaning?

<Sigh...>

Lets put it this way....review the glorious history of Illinois..

Take a deep breath..and imagine...Would you be 'shocked', were it turned out to be true?

Didnt want to put this in back room where there is limited viewing.

I cant find where the ISP posts press releases...help from anyone on that?

Not that this would relate to FOID/CCL but better to be aware

This is from capitol fax

...* Press release

Illinois State Police (ISP) officials have received multiple calls from the public concerning suspected scam calls. Various ISP districts throughout the state have received reports from citizens stating they have received calls from individuals with a foreign accent claiming to be members of the Illinois State Police seeking their personal information. ...

https://capitolfax.com/wp-mobile.php?p=44530

MEH....Numbers I don't have in my contacts are auto ignored and sent to voice mail. If they leave a legitimate voice mail I call back, if there is a lack of relevant info DELETE. :phone:

OH! Any voicemail that says the police are going to arrest me, I ignore as well.

Not saying I try to have fun with anything I can, but answer the next call, and depending on context, either a.) ask them what they're wearing, and when they respond, say " nothing frilly? I was really hoping you'd say you were wearing something frilly" or b.) when they ask how much credit card debt you have, say " I'm not sure exactly, but I think I have enough room on the one to buy you a couple goats"

The answers are hilarious, and usually end with lots of foul language coming my way.

.... Now back to serious responses.

Two modern technologies happened within 1 hour of each several years ago - 1st came Caller ID, followed almost immediately by Phone Number Spoofing making the new thing useless. lol

That's because in order to maintain compatibility with business PBX systems the number displayed on ID is self-reported by the originating phone system. That way a business can display a caller's DID number on the caller ID rather than a trunk number

So basically spoofing isn't a hack or a bug, or even a separate technology, its literally a feature of caller ID

Foreign sounding...asking for personal info acting outside/ignoring the law...claiming from ISP...

Hmmm....May not be a scam...

(Not purple)

Care to explain your meaning?

<Sigh...>

Lets put it this way....review the glorious history of Illinois..

Take a deep breath..and imagine...Would you be 'shocked', were it turned out to be true?

So the state police are pretending to be foreigners who are pretending to be state police so that they can get our personal information?

Why would the ISP not just check the records of our vehicle registration, FOID, FCCL, or professional licenses? We probably paid for all of those with a check or credit card.

Archived