Photo

Out of state carry while waiting for renewal

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#31 Quiet Observer

• Supporting Members Team
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 10:16 AM

What are they basing this on? Your IL CCL is still active if you submitted the renewal before the expiration date.

The letter specifically addresses that status and essentially states that it's not a legally recognized status outside of IL. 

I know that this does you no good in the short term, but I assume that you will be eligible for a Pennsylvania license once your Illinois FCCL is renewal goes through.  The revocation is not from criminal activity on your part, but an administrative action.

#32 Tip

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 10:56 AM

What are they basing this on? Your IL CCL is still active if you submitted the renewal before the expiration date.

The letter specifically addresses that status and essentially states that it's not a legally recognized status outside of IL. 

So they are basically stating that a VALID Illinois FCCL is not legally recognized outside of Illinois?
Your Illinois FCCL is indeed legally valid according to the issuing authority and according to the governing state law.
Never Engage in a Battle of Wits with an unarmed person.

#33 seanc

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 02:40 PM

I know that this does you no good in the short term, but I assume that you will be eligible for a Pennsylvania license once your Illinois FCCL is renewal goes through.  The revocation is not from criminal activity on your part, but an administrative action.

Correct.  The IL status is the only reason for the revocation.  

The sheriff's office isn't tied into the IL system to verify the status.  Per PA law, I had to provide them a copy of my currently valid IL CCW prior to it's expiration for the PA LTCF to be valid.  The PA LTCF is issue on 2 conditions (as an out of state, CCW permit holder): 1. Your home state's license is current, 2. PA sheriff's background check is clear. 

From the text of the letter, by my interpretation, the same sheriff's office will re-issue:

"If you are awaiting your renewed Illinois Handgun Permit, you are still required to surrender your LTCF to our office.  If your Illinois Handgun Permit is renewed in the future, please provide our office with updated copies of both your Illinois Driver's License and Illinois Handgun Permit so that our office can reinstate your Pennsylvania LTCF."

"Senator if we figure out a way to make criminals obey the law, then you'll be my first call"

#34 seanc

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 02:52 PM

So they are basically stating that a VALID Illinois FCCL is not legally recognized outside of Illinois?

Your Illinois FCCL is indeed legally valid according to the issuing authority and according to the governing state law.

You're speaking as a lawyer?

If we had a national reciprocity protocol (via the Full Faith & Credit clause), I'd have more confidence in exercising my God given rights without fear of financial ruin.  Right now, one state recognizing another's CCW is tenuous at best and since the state of IL recognizes no other state's CCW, I'm not pushing my luck just yet. 

"Senator if we figure out a way to make criminals obey the law, then you'll be my first call"

#35 Ricky Two Guns

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 04:47 PM

I have a Utah Soooo I would only carry in states that is good until such Time as Illinois stops me from carrying for free......
"SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS"
"Cogito, Ergo Armatum Sum"

#36 soundguy

• 5,884 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 05:13 PM

Renewing your license at the earliest possible date increases the likelihood that your renewal will be completed and new license in hand before the expiration date. This is more of a concern now that there are more renewals and they seem to be taking longer than the first batches.

At 8.4 cents a day... it seems a foolish risk to attempt to maximize your dollars.

"Penny wise and pound foolish" comes to mind.

Why put up with the uncertainty?

I'm guessing that a Utah Permit becomes invalid on the expiration date of your Illinois License... unless Utah understands the intricacies of Illinois. I recall mention in a thread of a problem with a PA Permit under these circumstances.

Edited by soundguy, 18 March 2019 - 05:20 PM.

Life is a cooperative venture... That's what makes it work.

#37 fnnuguy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 05:41 PM

Renewing your license at the earliest possible date increases the likelihood that your renewal will be completed and new license in hand before the expiration date. This is more of a concern now that there are more renewals and they seem to be taking longer than the first batches.

At 8.4 cents a day... it seems a foolish risk to attempt to maximize your dollars.

I'm guessing that a Utah Permit becomes invalid on the expiration date of your Illinois License... unless Utah understands the intricacies of Illinois. I recall mention in a thread of a problem with a PA Permit under these circumstances.

Utah has no reciprosity with Illinois so as long as the FOID is valid thats all that matter!

#38 BigJim

• Members
  • 3,652 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 05:48 PM

It's not the money, it's the principle of renewing early that gets me going.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Big Jim
-----------------------------------------
I will not be commanded,
I will not be controlled
And I will not let my future go on,
without the help of my soul

The Lost Boy - Greg Holden

#39 soundguy

• 5,884 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 06:21 PM

It's not the money, it's the principle of renewing early that gets me going.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

"...Dang the practicality - it's the principal of the thing!"

I am all for the principal of the matter. Fight it in the legislature and have all prior renewals restored to a full 5 years from the original date of issue at the next renewal cycle... including those who are getting free days by renewing at the last minute.

#40 Ricky Two Guns

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:44 AM

Free days????? I'm a week away from a free month..... I renewed a month and a half ahead of time ample time for Illinois get their proverbial head out of their proverbial a** IMO.

8.4 cents a day is to much extra to give JB and his cohorts ....But you do you and I'll do me.
"SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS"
"Cogito, Ergo Armatum Sum"

#41 soundguy

• 5,884 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:03 AM

Free days????? I'm a week away from a free month..... I renewed a month and a half ahead of time ample time for Illinois get their proverbial head out of their proverbial a** IMO.

8.4 cents a day is to much extra to give JB and his cohorts ....But you do you and I'll do me.

Yeah... I don't know why it's taking so long now. It really shouldn't.

Mine took 16 days from payment to a new card in hand.

I lost a whole $8.74/104 days... not a big deal to me.

The renewal date should mirror the original.

Edited by soundguy, Yesterday, 08:06 AM.

#42 Teufel Hunden

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:42 AM

Of course if you are looking at it from primarily a financial perspective, you'd likely have moved from Illinois already and the point is moot.

#43 THE KING

• Members
  • 2,536 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:44 AM

Yeah... I don't know why it's taking so long now. It really shouldn't.

Mine took 16 days from payment to a new card in hand.

I lost a whole $8.74/104 days... not a big deal to me.

The renewal date should mirror the original.

I guess it's not a big deal if you don't mind paying to exercise a constitutional right.    :headbang1:

NRA Patriot Life Member - Endowment
ISRA Member
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
ISP Certified Illinois Conceal Carry Instructor
Retired Professional Firefighter / Paramedic

#44 raymond963

• PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted Yesterday, 02:58 PM

LOL I took my class today and did the renewal after I got home.

My original expires in three days on Friday, 3/22. Color me unconcerned since I don't plan to travel outside of Madiganistan any time soon.

If I get extra time from renewing so late, bonus!

If they backdate it to 3/22 whenever they get around to it, no gain, no loss.

The whole thing, including the FOID system, is a bunch of unconstitutional BS anyway.

#45 G214me

• 1,986 posts

Posted Today, 08:02 AM

It's all just another way to make exercising the 2nd Amendment more worrisome, costly, and inconvenient.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users