POSTED! - NO CARRY Signs

mauserme

I can't look through 63 pages of this thread, but I went to the Naperville Dick's today and it's NOT posted ! Has it never been or is this something new ? I purposely carried and was surprised.

Dicks usually isn't posted. While they have taken an anti-gun stance (in regard to tactical rifles), I've never seen one that actually prohibits carry. And instead of looking through 63 pages, check out the app in Android or iPhone / iPad, or use the online / lite version. There are thousands of active entries, this thread is just one minor source.

What are the penalties if someone is carrying in a place that is posted? I'm sure the penalty varies depending on the place: e.g. School, federal building, park, or a posted restaurant can't all be the same penalty.

Except as otherwise provided, a licensee in violation of this Act shall be guilty of a Class B misdemeanor. A second or subsequent violation is a Class A misdemeanor. The Department may suspend a license for up to 6 months for a second violation and shall permanently revoke a license for 3 or more violations of Section 65 of this Act. Any person convicted of a violation under this Section shall pay a $150 fee to be deposited into the Mental Health Reporting Fund, plus any applicable court costs or fees.

Federally prohibited places gets you a felony first time.

Federally prohibited places gets you a felony first time.

Update: The Federal law is 18 U.S. Code § 930. Possession of firearms and dangerous weapons in Federal facilities

Otherwise legal carry in a Federal facility that is not a courthouse is a misdemeanor.

Otherwise legal carry in a Federal courthouse is a felony.

Otherwise illegal carry in a Federal facility is a felony.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

My instructor in January 2020 interprets cook county forest preserve as OK to carry on the trails (Des Plaines river Trail) went as far as to say real property means buildings, OK anywhere else

Cook County forest preserve was not on the list of prohibited places instructor handed out

After a lot of reading I will draw my own conclusion that its not OK anywhere in CCFP even parking lots ?

I was in one CCFP that had no gun sign on post at entrance to parking lot

Any advise would be appreciated

What about Abraham Lincoln National Cemetery?

My instructor in January 2020 interprets cook county forest preserve as OK to carry on the trails (Des Plaines river Trail) went as far as to say real property means buildings, OK anywhere else

Cook County forest preserve was not on the list of prohibited places instructor handed out

After a lot of reading I will draw my own conclusion that its not OK anywhere in CCFP even parking lots ?

Your instructor was in error. Real property includes land, buildings, and anything firmly attached to the land.

https://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/real+property

Under section 65:

"(14) Any real property under the control of the Cook County Forest Preserve District".

There has been many posts on this forum indicating that instructors have made mistakes or students have incorrectly interpreted what was taught.

I do not mean this as a blanket negative criticism of instructors. They are teaching in good faith. People make mistakes.

Few, if any, CC instructors are lawyers. Even lawyers make mistakes.

They may be teaching in good faith, but with some instructors, their lack of knowledge or misinformation could get the students into trouble.

When I took my renewal class, the instructor was not knowledgeable at all with even the most basic topics and there are things he should have known and didn't. To name a few for example, the Cook county FP question came up and he didn't know the answer. He also didn't know about the posting requirements for restaurants which have 50% alcohol sales revenue, or the ban on carry in the post office or other federal buildings. It just went on and on. I had to keep correcting him and answer the questions the students were asking because he didn't know the answer. I was also surprised at how little the students knew.

Granted, I'm probably more knowledgeable on the topic than most people because I participate here at IL Carry and keep myself informed.

Yes I see the class was very informative except for CCFP and the fact he said 2-6 weeks to get license , I asked weeks or months and he replied weeks

Oh well its all over now 90 days exactly to card in hand

Thanks for the comments

Seems to be a gray area

A lady we know was attacked and raped on that trail years ago, cook county had inmates cleaning a roadway ,one inmate ran away and hid in the woods, and pulled her off the trail

My wife since does not go on the trail by herself, you can access the trail and the trail crosses many roads which can be entrance, exit points

I guess a call to an experienced gun law attorney is in the future

The code does state CCFP is exempt from concealed carry law

Seems to be a gray area

A lady we know was attacked and raped on that trail years ago, cook county had inmates cleaning a roadway ,one inmate ran away and hid in the woods, and pulled her off the trail

My wife since does not go on the trail by herself, you can access the trail and the trail crosses many roads which can be entrance, exit points

I guess a call to an experienced gun law attorney is in the future

The code does state CCFP is exempt from concealed carry law

Notwithstanding there prohibited status, they are not immune from the other statutory exemptions provided FCCL holders.

^ this ***

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

If a restaurant is properly posted, does that signage also apply to its outdoor dining? How about some of the outdoor dining setups in closed streets or sidewalks that were put up in response to this COVID? I get that if you go in through a posted door you are in violation, but sitting outside you may never cross a door.

It seems it would depend on where the posted sign is. If you have to pass the sign then the area is a no carry area, if the sign is still on the door to the restaurant, and you never enter through that door I would think that you are okay. Personally this is how I would interpret such a situation and just continue to carry concealed as usual.

The sidewalk and street are public right of ways, CC is not restricted.

The law says that you cannot go through a portal (door, gate) that is posted.

If they have tables in their parking lot and it is posted, then you cannot be armed. No posting? carry there too.

I do not see completely ignoring the law and signage, but we have had over 5 years of CC.

The arrests for CCing in posted areas have been extremely rare.

If you are extremely careless in your concealment, you may be asked to leave.

She should be angry at the 95% that don't want you as a customer.

Didn't Chicago pass a law (or try to) requiring a large number of places to post in order to retain their business license?

Don't think they passes a law. It was the liquor board telling anything that needed a license that they had to post or no liquor license. As far as I can rememberr.

Archived