Florida has fallen.

JNG3

I'd be okay with raising the age to own firearms to 21, but only if the ages get raised in a similar fashion for these things:

You must be 21 years or older to:

- Get an abortion

- Vote

- Enlist in the military

While the rhetoric for raising the age to 21 to buy firearms or possess them is that you're not mentally developed enough yet, then using that same argument, why are you mentally developed enough for the three things I listed above?

I agree with your point, but 2 of your examples are in error.

In most states it is 18 or younger. Some require at least one parent to sign if the girl is younger. Many allow a judge to overrule if there is no parental permission.

https://thelawdictionary.org/article/teen-abortion-laws-in-the-united-states/

One can enlist in the military at 18. I think parents can still sign if the person is 17.

This could backfire. The court could rule that the restrictions on people under 21 to own rifles is unconstitutional...but they could also rule the that the existing age restriction for handguns is also constitutional.

An 18 year old is a full adult and owning firearms is a constitutional right. I can't see how either restriction can stand.

So now when a young 18 year old girl finally gets to move out on her own, she won’t be able to purchase a firearm for home defense or against any crazy ex’s? Seems like it’s setting the younger crowd especially young girls to be potential victims.
In this climate it doesnt look like many 18 year old girls would buy a gun for protection anyway. The media is brainwashing people as I speak.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

College age women have a 20% chance of being the victim of a sexual assault. TWENTY PERCENT. It looks like Valinda will have to go down there and do a 'purse dump' again and show the items the ISP website had suggested using to deter rapes - whistle, tongue depressor, nail file, etc - now that young ladies are forbidden to have a viable means of self protection.

College age women have a 20% chance of being the victim of a sexual assault. TWENTY PERCENT. It looks like Valinda will have to go down there and do a 'purse dump' again and show the items the ISP website had suggested using to deter rapes - whistle, tongue depressor, nail file, etc - now that young ladies are forbidden to have a viable means of self protection.

As much as that statistic favors our side of this argument, I refuse to use fake facts. The 1 in 5 college women will be a victim of sexual assault is a fake fact. The polls used for these use a VERY broad definition of sexual assault all the way down to unwanted touches. Because of this, they get a very skewed number of UNVERIFIED positives.

A Far more accurate statistic, is 1 in 52.6 college age women will be victims of rape or sexual assault. This comes from the U.S Bureau of Justice. This includes actual rapes and sexual assaults. Still, imho, more than enough to warrant the need to protect oneself.

2A rights and concealed carry rights really should be a 'feminist' cause, as it is one way that women can protect themselves. BUT, see most feminist activists choose to blame men and push to train men to not, instead of actually empowering women to protect themselves. In fact, you get rode out on a rail, if you even suggest women should not, walk alone at night, or other self-protecting behaviors.

cybermgk, you may want to rethink your stance, as most cases of sexual abuse and sexual assault could be considered FORCIBLE FELONIES (particularly when aggravating factors are present) and are taken quite seriously by the courts. Your 'unwanted touches' are also CRIMNAL ACTS, so, your version of skewed numbers is the true fake fact.

I've condensed the facts for you, directly from the ILGA site. This is Illinois law - not U.S. Bureau of Injustice stats:

"Sexual conduct" means any knowing touching or fondling by the victim or the accused, either directly or through clothing, of the sex organs, anus, or breast of the victim or the accused, or any part of the body of a child under 13 years of age, or any transfer or transmission of semen by the accused upon any part of the clothed or unclothed body of the victim, for the purpose of sexual gratification or arousal of the victim or the accused."

"Sexual penetration" means any contact, however slight, between the sex organ or anus of one person and an object or the sex organ, mouth, or anus of another person, or any intrusion, however slight, of any part of the body of one person or of any animal or object into the sex organ or anus of another person, including, but not limited to, cunnilingus, fellatio, or anal penetration. Evidence of emission of semen is not required to prove sexual penetration."

(720 ILCS 5/11-1.50) (was 720 ILCS 5/12-15)
Sec. 11-1.50. Criminal sexual abuse.
(a) A person commits criminal sexual abuse if that person:
(1) commits an act of sexual conduct by the use of
force or threat of force; or
(2) commits an act of sexual conduct and knows that
the victim is unable to understand the nature of the act or is unable to give knowing consent.
(B) A person commits criminal sexual abuse if that person is under 17 years of age and commits an act of sexual penetration or sexual conduct with a victim who is at least 9 years of age but under 17 years of age.
© A person commits criminal sexual abuse if that person commits an act of sexual penetration or sexual conduct with a victim who is at least 13 years of age but under 17 years of age and the person is less than 5 years older than the victim.

(720 ILCS 5/11-1.20) (was 720 ILCS 5/12-13)
Sec. 11-1.20. Criminal sexual assault.
(a) A person commits criminal sexual assault if that person commits an act of sexual penetration and:
(1) uses force or threat of force;
(2) knows that the victim is unable to understand the
nature of the act or is unable to give knowing consent;
(3) is a family member of the victim, and the victim
is under 18 years of age; or
(4) is 17 years of age or over and holds a position
of trust, authority, or supervision in relation to the victim, and the victim is at least 13 years of age but under 18 years of age.

Archived