Niles Gun Range

BigKahuna

My god - the damn thing is still in court! These morons just won't give up.... details (stretching to the original lawsuit in 2014) here:

https://courtlink.lexisnexis.com/cookcounty/FindDock.aspx?NCase=2014-CH-16850&SearchType=0&Database=3&case_no=&Year=&div=&caseno=&PLtype=1&sname=&CDate=

Now that the SCOTUS has basically upheld you can totally ban gun shops they will be emboldened.

The supreme court did not hold that a city can ban gun shops. It simply did not take up a particular California case. That can happen for several reasons. The appellate court holding there is not binding on the seventh circuit that governs illinois federal cases regardless of the reason. The federal courts for Illinois have found Chicago's gun shop bans unconstitutional at least twice now.

• 7 months later...

It's a new year. Anybody heard anything about the status of this range? Has the Appellate Court made any decision? Looks like there are no weeds around the building or sale signs up. Hope that's a good sign.

Niles will fine you quickly if you don't mow your lawn. Ask me how I know.

• 4 months later...

So maybe some GOOD news in these dark times.

For the first time in literally years and years they are working on the building again. I drove by Yesterday and all the doors were open with some guys working on that crumbling brick wall on the East Side of the building. If they are working tomorrow when I go to lunch over that way I may try to ask someone if they know what is going on.

Here is hoping the shop is moving forward again!

• 2 weeks later...
Yeah I've been watching the masonry go on, you can only do a few rows per day or the wet mortar squishes. But the owner hasn't responded to my messages so no idea what's going on.

They let their domain expire which is not exactly a great sign.

they also changed their name at least once, so who knows...

They let their domain expire which is not exactly a great sign.

they also changed their name at least once, so who knows...

So I decided to do some more googling....it appears the property has been up for lease since October of last year.

Press F to pay respects

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/6143-W-Howard-St-Niles-IL/14056559/

A real shame because it looks like the inside was far more done than the previous pictures posted online.

My guess is the Masonry work is either to attract a tenant or for code compliance as I saw what looked like several code violations plastered on the front door of the building.

RIP my hopes and dreams.

Le sigh

Still court activity as of April after almost a year of inactivity.

Activity Date: 06/12/2018 Participant: PEOPLE FOR SAFE

PLACITA AND CERTIFICATION OF TRANSCRIPT OF RECORD FOR APPEAL FILED

Attorney: HASS DOUGLAS ARTHUR

Activity Date: 04/08/2019 Participant: PEOPLE SAFR SO IETY

APPELLATE COURT MANDATE - AFFIRMED

Court Room: 2403 Judge: JACOBIUS, MOSHE

The place two doors to the east closed down ten years ago or so. Machines that made parts for the auto industry(60+ die casting machines each as big as a boxcar) for decades shut down at the end of one shift and got cut up for scrap after the auction. Some work went to other states and some went to China. It closed down because it was too expensive to keep operating in illinois.

Still vacant.

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/17116071/6119-W-Howard-St-Niles-IL/

And mostly torn down.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/6143+Howard+St,+Niles,+IL+60714/@42.0180924,-87.7810927,218m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x880fc8d67503d945:0x2e366fc524c70070!8m2!3d42.0183064!4d-87.7814061

You'd think they'd be dying for anybody to come open any kind of business around there. It's a ghost town compared to before 2009.

That area has many new buildings and businesses which make these less desirable. I have heard its not dead yet. But cant confirm.

I hope we see a range right there, it'd be nice as I can nearly hit the place with a stone from my office. I guess we will see, hopefully the lawsuit concludes soon.

I think the Illinois Appellate Court already ruled in favor of the potential Gun Range. A ruling was given at the end of September last year. Here is the PDF of the decision. http://www.illinoiscourts.gov/R23_Orders/AppellateCourt/2018/1stDistrict/1180147_R23.pdf . At least that's how I read it.

I would hope one of us knows one of the owners of the company that was to build the range and can get the current status.

I have a vague memory of a gun shop in Niles on Milwaukee Ave, in the lates 60’s or early 70’s, anyone?

Bartons on Milwaukee ave. Bought a brand new Python there that I still have unfired. Mayor started screwing them over in the early 90’s. They could sell but could not transfer handguns at their Niles location. I had to pick it up at Bells on Manheim

I don't understand how a business can get permisson to open a gun range, start building it and then have activists halt the whole process.

Once permission is given and the actual permits are delivered and construction begins, it should be too late for anyone to complain.

How is this even possible?

Someone got a "contribution" from Bloomberg.

I don't understand how a business can get permisson to open a gun range, start building it and then have activists halt the whole process.

Once permission is given and the actual permits are delivered and construction begins, it should be too late for anyone to complain.

How is this even possible?

I haven't followed the details of this case, but one way that's possible is for the city to change the building codes. Until a building is complete, it has to be built to whatever the current code is, even when the code changes. Eventually it just becomes too expensive to keep changing the plans to accommodate changes in the code. That's how anti-nukes stopped power plants that already had permits from getting built once upon a time.

I don't understand how a business can get permisson to open a gun range, start building it and then have activists halt the whole process.Once permission is given and the actual permits are delivered and construction begins, it should be too late for anyone to complain. How is this even possible?

I haven't followed the details of this case, but one way that's possible is for the city to change the building codes. Until a building is complete, it has to be built to whatever the current code is, even when the code changes. Eventually it just becomes too expensive to keep changing the plans to accommodate changes in the code. That's how anti-nukes stopped power plants that already had permits from getting built once upon a time.

I dont think that happened but I wouldnt put it past the weasel we have for mayor. Luckily term limits remove him next go arou d. He is livid that he can’t complete all the good things he started. Not sure what those good things are but buh - bye.

• 1 month later...

Just saw that myself, FINALLY

Freakin FINALLY

I just hope Bloombergs pals don't pull more legal Horse Hockey out of the demon hole

Edit: Someone pointed out on social media the property appears to be for lease on some Commercial Real-Estate sites now so I guess we all better not get too excited.

• 3 months later...

Archived